Sun June 30 2013 14:11:04

Poll: On What Channels Do You Sell?

By: Julia Wilkinson

"Multi-channel selling" is a phrase that's thrown around a lot in the online selling world these days. But EcommerceBytes would like to give readers an actual snapshot of who is really selling where, and how many merchants are multi-channel.

And we want to find out from you, the real-life online sellers who share your opinions with us regularly, just what platforms are you sell on, even if it's just one. (We recently ran a guest blog about the benefits of multi-channel selling, but we know not everyone is doing it). Also, some folks have changed which venues they sell on in the last few years, judging from many of the comments on the blogs and boards in the community.

We'd love to get your input. Please take our very quick poll, below.

Then be sure to check back in a few days to see the  results. Thanks!

Take the poll now: click here!

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sun Jun 30 22:12:59 2013

LOL, we were on Bonanza, but sell?  They don't promote their site and they somehow think that it is miraculously going to turn into the next eBay.  Big waste of time and we no longer expend any energy there.

eCrater does throw some sales at us from time-to-time, and I am guessing if we promoted ourselves better and worked harder on the Google analytics we'd likely do better there.  I like their hands-off style and they aren't fee greedy.

All of our extra time these days is going into our own website. We are fed up with eBay's shenanigans.

Poll: On What Channels Do You Sell?   Poll: On What Channels Do You Sell?

by: JohnGermaine This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 30 22:52:43 2013

The only place getting real traffic is eBay. I went back.

Poll: On What Channels Do You Sell?   Poll: On What Channels Do You Sell?

This user has validated their user name. by: elpereles

Sun Jun 30 23:38:35 2013

I believe in the multi-channel idea. As far I saw 1rst go for a site with big traffic like eBay or Amazon and then choose an "Alternative" site to sell or create your own site.

Poll: On What Channels Do You Sell?   Poll: On What Channels Do You Sell?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Mon Jul 1 00:12:34 2013

@ Rexford... I totally agree with your Bonanza experience...

The site has so mush potential... but given the lack of promotion, the site is generating no significant traffic.

I looked at our item stats the other day.

On the My Bonanza page the site says there were 170 item views this past week.

Digging a little deeper, and using the filters on View Items Stats page, we find quite another story...

Filtering out views of sold items, and filtering out search crawler activity shows the reality of Bonanza traffic.

Our item view count of 170 drops to   3 ( three ) !!

Even a blind squirrel finds an occasional nut, and that is the only reason we leave our basic inventory items listed there.

Poll: On What Channels Do You Sell?   Poll: On What Channels Do You Sell?

by: dkkdolls This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 1 01:05:17 2013

I sell by my own direct website as 1st choice, http://www.dkkdolls.com/store; on Collectoronline.com section of Tias.com for 2nd choice at http://www.donnaskorner.com; and Through an Ebay premium store as 3rd preference. Collector Online has not been as good as it once was, as I am not sure if the Collector Online section gets the exposure of Tias. I have many newer collectibles among the older ones, and I think the changes to Google may also be affecting it. I do not like Ebay as much because of feeling a need to rush and run myself ragged, but it is the only place many people look and is best for figuring international shipping rates for one or two items (only ship to safe countries Endicia or Shipsaver will insure). Donna

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Mon Jul 1 01:16:18 2013

I'm selling on my own site, Etsy & Artfire. Etsy is where I get the most sales lately. But I just received my EV-SSL (look it up) last week and my site is starting to glow.
I do believe the coming season will be a block buster !

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jul 1 07:37:17 2013

I forgot to mention Amazon, which we also sell, but Amazon is really pushing "low price"and it is very competitive. I don't think the amount of money they give for shipping is quite fair--a heavy book or set of bed sheets can be expensive to ship, and they simply don't give enough shipping allowance for items such as those.

What I like best about Amazon though is that it is a pretty stable environment, technologically speaking and otherwise. They are not constantly remodeling the house like eBay do.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jul 1 07:42:17 2013

Julia, since so many sellers are building or talking about building their own sites, I would love for you or Ina to do a story about the various platforms sellers are using (Volusion, Big Commerce, etc.) so that sellers can learn the pros and cons--ease of use, CSR experience, cost, etc.

Poll: On What Channels Do You Sell?   Poll: On What Channels Do You Sell?

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 1 09:37:54 2013

Julia, I also agree with Rexford re building your own sites. Would be very helpful to me and others working on building a site.
Thanks.

Poll: On What Channels Do You Sell?   Poll: On What Channels Do You Sell?

by: racecarguy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 1 10:41:29 2013

Julia,
We sell on two of our own websites and use Bonanza, but, as others have mentioned, Bonanza is a serious ''snooze-fest''. They must be really hurting for cash, because they could be SO much more attractive then they are f they would only spread the word.

Poll: On What Channels Do You Sell?   Poll: On What Channels Do You Sell?

by: JLynnPro This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 1 11:30:10 2013

I sell on Artfire, Etsy, and Blujay, though Blujay is so slow I'm thinking of finding another (free) venue.  My main selling venue is Artfire.

My BF and I are working on my website, but it's not going as fast as I would like.

Poll: On What Channels Do You Sell?   Poll: On What Channels Do You Sell?

by: BonzSeller This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 1 16:33:26 2013

I really can't count what I'm doing on bonanza as selling. It's more like an on line storage site that's rapidly turning into a referral and re-directing site for Amazon and EBay.

It is so very sad that the site not only threw away it's chance to be a real presence on the internet, but then turned around and cut the throats of all the sellers that are on that site by taking away customers that DO manage to stumble into the place to Amazon and EBay. It's really disgusting what they've done to all the sellers that spent so many years working their azzes off just to get tossed away like trash.

I also park my stuff at Addoway. They are pretty much a dead end site that like all the rest of the "alternative" sites that rely on the slave labor of it's sellers to advertise the site for them.

I would really like to see a selling site opened that understands the one basic rule about business. "You have to advertise". None of these small time idiot websites, seem to be able to grasp that concept, but they'll shove it down OUR throats and act like it's our faults we don't get sales.

Well gee, if you'd get off your butts and do some work like you tell us to do, then MAYBE we'd be getting sales.

I've went back to EBay where there actually ARE sales and they understood the fact that they have to advertise to get business

This user has validated their user name. by: Vintage Touch

Mon Jul 1 17:35:26 2013

I use eCrater for my online selling.  This site is promoted to google & of course I do self promote.  No fees is a big deal - just now eCrater started charging a small fee on sales that come through the eCrater marketplace only.  Each sale now shows the site where the sale was generated such as Pinterest, google, Bing etc.  A no hassle, hands free site.

Poll: On What Channels Do You Sell?   Poll: On What Channels Do You Sell?

by: mimi51 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 1 19:35:05 2013

I too tried Bonanza.  Was there 4 years and finally closed my "booth" for lack of sales. They also tried to be eBay by rating their sellers.  Excuse me!  You can't deliver customers and you are going to rate ME?

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Tue Jul 2 13:29:21 2013

AMBER CART (dot com) is a Very Good Shopping Cart. EASY to install. Simply copy & paste html code to plugin to your own website. GREAT tech support. SUPER affordable. I started getting sales before I even half way finished converting my site over from the old Google Shopping cart.
To build your Very Own Website : Get Expression Web4 (downloadable), get the 3 DVD tutorial set, a web host (about $100 a year) and the just put up the Amber Cart on your site. It's that simple.
And, as a matter of Good Business Protocol, you should get an EV-SSL certificate. You'll need a static IP address for that ($5 a month), easy to get. And your DBA, a FREE yellow page listing, a public phone number, and a Notarized Verification of Principle Individual form (sent to you by email from the SSL folks). You should get your certificate in about 3 weeks.
It's going to be a Great Season !