Mon June 10 2013 17:25:52

Amazon Sellers React to Deadline to Fix Missing Images

By: Julia Wilkinson

The fact that Amazon first mistakenly sent emails to media sellers saying they needed to fix any missing images on their Amazon listings by a certain deadline caused some confusion among some of those sellers. But the correct email went out shortly thereafter; and as reported in this EcommerceBytes article; media and some other categories of sellers are an exception to this impending suppression policy.

On the Amazon Seller discussion boards, Some media sellers were debating how they would be able to add "main" images to their book or other Amazon listings if they did not create the initial listing. Others wished Amazon had given them more time than the June 27 deadline.

But although the confusion cleared up and media sellers, such as sellers of collectible or old books, realized they would not be held to that deadline, others pointed out that even media category listings which are missing images do get nudged by Amazon to add these photos.

The nudges are called "quality alerts," and Amazon has been regularly sending sellers emails alerting them to how many they need to fix.

I do think Amazon should have a goal of ensuring every listing, including books, should have an image. As one seller wrote, "lack of images and descriptions is probably the No. 1 reason for confusion over listings and duplicate ASINs (based on our efforts at adding listings)." And there are quite a few duplicate ASINs on Amazon, which makes for confusion both for buyers ("Which of these 1966 second edition Widget World Guides should I buy?") as well as sellers "Under which 1966 second edition Widget World Guide listing should I add my listing?").

Some sellers say they won't bother adding images to their lower-priced items and just let them be suppressed. But can you imagine having a listing on eBay without an image (or ten)?

But I wonder (as a book wonk), if all this image focus could be an opportunity to make all of Amazon's media images more useful? For example, what if they were to add a field for an image of a book's spine as well as its cover? In some cases, one or other on an antique book is damaged, and it would be a hassle for sellers to try to merge two images using Photoshop or other software. Then buyers would have a clearer picture, as it were, of what they're getting, and being able to see the title, number(s), and/or other decoration on the spine would help too,

Eventually they could consolidate duplicate listings using the listing with the best image. (I know, many sellers will probably say they don't need even more work!).

If you sell on Amazon, how much is the Amazon image deadline going to affect you? Do you sell media on Amazon or other products? What do you think could be done or should be done, if anything, to consolidate duplicate listings on the site, or about missing images? Post a comment here!

Amazon  Sellers React to Deadline to Fix Missing Images   Amazon Sellers React to Deadline to Fix Missing Images

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 11 10:07:05 2013

I sell on Amazon. Yes they do bug me (quality alert) on posting whee I did not upload picture. Reason was that there was already a picture. Called, CSR said they wanted a picture of exactly what I was selling - even if it is identical. Waste of space and time.
In the process of stopping media sales due to increase in rates. Now, the only way is to go the FBA route for all media material.
Too many duplicate listings on Amazon. Almost as bad as ebay. What I can't figure out is why a duplicate item have different ASIN numbers? Different UPC codes are something you can buy. However, unless it is ''unique'' you will never find it. Amazon search goes by most popular or Amazon FBA. Better to make a sale with?? What I do not like is when they show other items mixed in with what I was looking for.
Searching on Amazon is almost if not the same as searching on ebay. At least Amazon (as of now) do not have strict requirements of the pictures.
Amazon should have a simple way of reporting items that are duplicate or incorrect.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 11 12:09:47 2013

I wish they would also require that photos be listed with the 'head's up'. I've seen way too many side ways photos. I don't mind the new rule. I will have to see how it affects me in the long run.

by: G-and-A This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 11 14:37:51 2013

I wish they would require an actual image of the actual Book for sale.  I know this is a forlorn hope.  Recently I bought a rather rare book on Amazon, only to receive the wrong book.

I never buy from the penny or 99-cent sellers, but try to buy books where the seller has entered at least a minimal description of the actual book.  I try to buy from a seller who seems like a "real" person.  But in the case of my last purchase, the email had about 20 different seller name IDs on it, and it was obvious they had no knowledge of the actual book.

Amazon has really ruined book-buying on the internet!

I have tried once more to get the book by ordering it through Alibri (again, no picture!).  Will see if the correct book arrives.

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 13 00:53:33 2013

@G-and-A

i sell books on amazon, it's just too time consuming to get a picture with the actual listing and then it can only be done if the book is listed in the collectible category.  so i put a line in my description inviting buyers to ask me for a pic which i happily email them.  perhaps you should try asking sellers for pictures directly.

by: G-and-A This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 23 13:58:54 2013

@mindelec
I did not realize that images of the book are not allowed on ordinary listings on Amazon.  That's a great service that you offer for buyers to request a photo.  You must be One out of about 100,000!
p.s.  I did receive the correct book from Alibri, and it was actually packed in a Box!

by: booklover27 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 26 19:48:58 2013

OMG...you've got to be kidding...we are now being forced to work for this crappy monopolistic company for free and no one gets outraged...The catalog is their end of the deal...all we do is supply an index.  I have 1000s of suppressed item and I just say too bad for Amazon when you get the picture I'll put my product in...maybe, if not I'll be supporting all the smaller marketplaces...This is the worst fascist company to ever thread on Americans!