Sun May 26 2013 16:59:22

Analyzing Pinterest Traffic to Your Products

By: Julia Wilkinson

Pinterest, that collection of virtual bulletin boards that everyone's been buzzing about, last week added "product pins," among other things to their toolbox.  But these are only available in Pinterest's "new look," and for now they're only working with a select number of retailers. But how can you tell who's repinning your pins, and what's most clicked?

For this, you can use Pinterest's analytics tools, launched in March. To set it up on your Pinterest account, however, you need to add your business web site's name, and for now it cannot be a subdomain, like an eBay store. You'll need to verify that you own your web site, which just involves downloading a test file Pinterest offers you, and uploading it to your site. More on how to verify your site here.

Because I don't use my web site directly to sell much, except for ebooks from a subpage - and these I haven't pinned around, I was interested to see that one of my readers had pinned a photo of some Friberg vases we talked about in one of the newsletters.

Another way to get analytic info is to type:

Pinterest.com/source/yourwebsitename.com

Here's what it looks like for EcommerceBytescom; in other words, here are pins that other people have pinned to their Pinterest accounts that came from EcommerceBytes as a source::

Unfortunately, this does not yet work for eBay Stores, at least not those specifically working with Pinterest, as far as I know.

I watched an interesting YouTube video, "The Power of Pinning," with tips for marketing with Pinterest from Luxury Monograms owner and founder of The Entrepreneuress Academy Melanie Duncan, who says in the video she discovered by accident that Pinterest was a big source of her site's luxurymonograms.com traffic after looking at her Google Analytics data.

More marketing tips are at About.com's "Ways to Promote Your eBay Selling Using Pinterest." This includes creating a Pinterest profile that matches your eBay selling member ID including a "link to your eBay store, list of eBay auctions, or About Me page from your Pinterest profile." Also to use the Pinterest "goodies" section to find code and buttons that can be added to not only your ecommerce site but "your blog posts, forum participation, or email communication to enable people to quickly and easily follow your pins." (I'd first make sure that whatever forum was cool with having pins added to its posts, though).

For now, I'm going to keep adding my items to my "Cool Stuff I'm Selling" Pinterest board. (I know; creative name. huh?). But down the road, it would be nice if every eBay seller could get data on who's repinning and clicking through to their stuff.

Have you tried using Pinterest's Analytics, or are you testing their new product pins? What do you think of the whole marketing on Pinterest idea? Post a comment here!

Analyzing Pinterest Traffic to Your Products   Analyzing Pinterest Traffic to Your Products

by: Grandma_Fish This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 26 23:46:09 2013

Thanks for the info and the links, Julia. I'm just starting to use Pinterest and I'm very interested in their product pins and using their analytics on my website. Every little bit helps!

by: adrian44 This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 26 23:50:48 2013

Hello Julia,
I certainly hope you know other sellers use Pinterest, not just Ebay!!

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 27 00:01:14 2013

I post items that I have sold on Pinterest, but have not tried to use it to peddle my wares. I just want to share some of the history, color and beauty of some of the unique items I sell.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 27 00:21:44 2013

I've never been able to get this to work for me (Pinterest.com/source/yourwebsitename.com)

My ''web site name'' is a dot.com but it redirects to my Etsy shop. I'm using my domain name dot com, but all I've ever gotten is a 404 error message, and this has happened a number of times over the last 6 months or so since I first heard about this way of checking analytics on my Pinterest boards.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 27 10:46:02 2013

While those of us with stores under a venue's flag so that we may not be able to use Pinterest analytics, their traffic will show up on Google analytics. Last I checked, Pinterest was in fifth place for driving traffic to my store. I do know that many of my store pins are being repined. I love using Pinterest and at this point would use it even if I couldn't advertise my stores goods on it. I just hope that they don't make so many 'improvements' that Pinterest isn't fun to use any more.

This user has validated their user name. by: juliawww

Mon May 27 12:22:35 2013

Moonwishes, great point!  Google Analytics is a great tool for this. Melanie Duncan makes this point in her video and shows a screen shot of her Google Analytics data with Pinterest traffic on top. :) Thanks, Julia