Mon May 6 2013 20:18:30

Some YouTube Channels May Start Charging

By: Julia Wilkinson

It's hard to believe what once once a quirky site for amateur videos is now an entertainment juggernaut. The first video on YouTube, now owned by Google, was allegedly this one of a guy at the zoo. Now it's the go-to place to watch silly cats, silly people, breaking news events, helpful how-to videos, and just about anything under the sun that can be filmed. (And, well, the sun itself and beyond).

Certain channels on YouTube, several dozen or so at first, according to an article in The New York Times, will start charging monthly subscriptions, costing "as little as $1.99 a month." The content areas will include music, entertainment, children's programming and more.

The monetizing move is said to mollify both homegrown stars and large media companies, giving them an additional source of revenue besides ads. We may see the paid channels as soon as this Thursday, according to reports.

But it remains to be seen how much viewers will be willing to pay for content they currently enjoy for free, and some for which they already must sit through paid ads in the beginning. (Mercifully, on many of the ads we can click "Skip" once we've seen several seconds of them).

It reminds me of the time that a guy I worked with years ago, when the Internet was in its infancy, said of this "new thing" that "it won't be a free lunch forever."

So which channels might you be willing to pay for, and what types of videos might you give up if you had to pay for them, even as modest a sum as $1.99? (I was looking at my iTunes bill today, and I can tell you it adds up!).

Or, perhaps you yourself make a lot of videos and are hoping to get in on the subscription model. Do you make videos to promote your product or brand? Do you do how-to videos about selling or other topics? (EcommerceBytes wrote in 2012 about some eBay and Etsy sellers already using the medium to spur sales). What do you think of this latest development in our ever-changing delivery of pop culture? Post a comment here!

Some YouTube Channels May Start Charging   Some YouTube Channels May Start Charging

This user has validated their user name. by: elpereles

Tue May 7 00:04:04 2013

If a Youtube channel like WWE begin a monthly subscription and you can see their PPV next day. It will be nice.

by: blaumann2 This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 7 02:03:04 2013

I would not pay for a you tube channel. The ads are more than enough

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue May 7 07:29:51 2013

It never ceases to amaze me how greedy companies are today.  They are not content with the ad revenues alone.  I should have known that when Google got involved this would happen.  Yes, it is completely within their right, but they seem to forget what made YouTube so popular in the first place.  Hmmmm, where have I heard that before?  Would you like to answer that Mr. Donahoe?  Current day company management can't see the forest for the money.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue May 7 07:36:48 2013

Just like at eBay, I think that they have MBAs whose only job is to come up with more and more ways to monetize the platform.  The minute LinkedIn and Facebook went public you saw an uptick in this. (No Facebook, I will never pay you $1.00 to message a non-friend.)

This user has validated their user name. by: Nolle

Tue May 7 08:57:58 2013

This move will be as successful as their ''monetizing'' of google shopping.

It will not only fail, but it will spur new services AND kill Youtube as the cool place to post videos.

Nicely done Google!

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 7 10:44:44 2013

Good bye ''YouTube''.  Will be a cold day in He%% before I pay a penny.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Tue May 7 10:46:38 2013

Don't spend a lot of time on the Tube but I do like Henri Le Chat Noir. Don't think I would pay for a subscription for a daily dose of angst & ennui. He is on Twitter & FB, tho. Stay free, Henri!

Only other time I use it would be the occasional ''How To….''

This user has validated their user name. by: juliawww

Tue May 7 12:50:17 2013

Interesting thought, Rexford. I sure hope not!

Basset, I didn't know about Henri Le Chat Noir..thank you so much for introducing him (?) to me..such a brooding and complex cat! ;)

(Mean Kitty came to my attention via my kids, who forced me to watch complete episodes to the end. I do like him but not necessarily 20 minutes of him). Tho he did become more interesting when he got a friend. ;)

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Tue May 7 14:45:43 2013

Julia -
Henri is a guy - thus the ''castration without representation'' line  in his ''Politique'' video.

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 7 22:20:49 2013

@ Rexford
''Julia, one more thought, if eBay sellers, Etsy sellers and any other sellers or companies are using YouTube to advertise via free videos it is just a matter of time before they are charged to do so.''

Totally agree. maybe a year or two, but it is bound to happen.

However, if/when Congress passes an internet sales tax law there probably be a lot of scrambling about as the impact of that is figured in the overall sales impact.

by: Mimi This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 8 02:23:54 2013

I wouldn't pay a dime for any YT content. Yep, should have seen this coming.

by: semper fi This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 8 11:36:19 2013

With all the Ads attached that you can't skip, I can tell you I will not be paying anybody for anything. I already pay enough just to be connected to the internet. Time to go fishing~~~~~

This user has validated their user name. by: Forestt

Wed May 8 12:39:15 2013

I thought the commercials during Walking Dead were excessive but YouTube has AMC beat by a longshot.

Jeez, as if the 30 second ads at the start of every music related video weren't enough!!! It's one thing to have display advertising but 30 second commercials before every video is why I rarely visit YouTube anymore.

It's just aberrant greed by Google. You figure, they make so much money off search, they could relax and give the people something in return but no, Google executives need their compensation for sitting around all day doing nothing but thinking up ways to monetize services they once offered for free.

Google is so greedy, they even stopped YouTube streaming via Roku player. Oh well, I'll stick with Netflix and Hulu anyway.

This user has validated their user name. by: permacrisis

Thu May 9 10:19:52 2013

Shhh- quiet, or they'll start charging for my Google Voice (and its ingenious hack cousin, GVJack).