Sun May 5 2013 20:37:54

Collections Contest Heats up with First Entries

By: Julia Wilkinson

The AuctionBytes Blog kicked off its Collections Contest on Friday, inviting readers to submit photos of or links to their collections. The best collection will win $50. The first images are coming in and we've already got some amazing groupings of items! I thought it would be fun to show off some of our first entries, and hopefully inspire more readers to whip out that camera or smartphone and snap away! Plus, in the process we are getting to know each other a little better.

We learn that Shawn, who posted on the blog initially that he thought his collection was too big to capture, has an impressive grouping of dragonware. (Some of us, such as yours truly, are learning about dragonware for the first time!). Check these out:

Cyndi sent in a pic of her Shirley Temple collection, but said, "This is only part of my collection; I couldn't fit everything in one photo."

Cyndi, those are a lot of Shirleys! Have you thought about opening a museum?

Meanwhile, I learned that some readers (OK this entrant is ineligible like me, as he blogs regularly here) had the same nerdy habit (sorry, Brian!) as I and my brother did: painting metallic fantasy figurines. Check out Brian Cohen's (of bidofthis.com) arrangement of Dark Horse Groo the Wanderer Miniatures (by Sergio Aragones). "Some I hand-painted (back when I was like 10 years old)... the others I just haven't gotten around to painting for the last 30 years."

Me too, Brian! (Actually, don't tell my brother, but the whole Lord of the Rings metallic miniature figurine collection got lost or stolen in my last move. Oh, the humanity!).

These collections are all fun. And some are truly humbling.  Anna sent a photo of her husband's military crest collection. "I have several framed boards like this one," she says. "My husband was KIA in Iraq in 2004. He collected these crests as well as patches for many years. We are very proud of this collection. Thanks."

Thank you, Anna! We appreciate your husband's service and your sacrifice.

Thanks again, everyone who submitted pics. I'll be posting these to our Pinterest board, and if I missed anyone's email, or post, I'm sorry...but don't worry, I'll get to it.  I hope to see more photos of collections from readers!

Collections Contest Heats up with First Entries   Collections Contest Heats up with First Entries

by: Shawn This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 6 08:48:16 2013

Lol! My collection IS too big for one photo. ;)

3491/

This user has validated their user name. by: Forestt

Wed May 8 12:28:37 2013

Wow, really like the Dragonware. Wish I hadn't seent his because now I'll end up burning a hole in my pocket and starting a new collection. thanks :-)

by: Shawn This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 10 09:35:47 2013

Thanks, Forestt, and welcome to your new hobby. I've been collecting it for 27 years, and I still find new stuff. It's very addictive. ;)

If anyone wants to learn more about dragonware, please check out the collectors group on Facebook. :)

by: jeana This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 10 19:11:35 2013

Shawn has an awesome collection as do many others in our group, and her knowledge is above and beyond

by: Shawn This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 10 21:20:02 2013