Wed Apr 10 2013 10:09:20

Could New Sizing Stations Help Your Sales?

By: Julia Wilkinson

It's no secret in the clothing world that sizes can be inconsistent; for example, high-end designer clothes sometimes use "vanity" sizing that makes consumers feel smaller than they really are. But a new sizing technology called "Me-Ality™" sizing stations aim to end the guesswork of what size will actually fit you; at this time it's limited to premium denim brands. But could technology like this be helpful to online sellers as a kind of clothing "showrooming"?

The idea is a consumer would go into the station and get a "free, fully-clothed, 10-second body scan," according to the Me-Aility press  release.  The stations are currently being piloted at a select number of Bloomingdale's department stores: 59th Street (NY), Roosevelt Field Mall (NY), Chevy Chase (MD), Santa Monica Place (CA), and South Coast Plaza (CA). (You can find other Me-Ality locations here).

Currently, the fit information™ will recommend denim styles sold at Bloomingdale's "both in-store and online, including J Brand, 7 For All Mankind, True Religion, Hudson, and Citizens of Humanity" among others. But a shopper could theoretically get fitted and use that info to buy a discounted version of that premium denim online on sites such as eBay, or even via swap sites or selling apps such as Poshmark.

And sizing can be a problem: according to the release, "sixty-two percent of women who shop cannot find clothes that fit.  Over $45 billion dollars of clothing is returned due to poor fit every year."

If you sell clothing online, do you think this technology could help you? And has sizing been a problem for you; do you get many clothing returns due to fit, even if you give measurements? Another issue, especially for eBay sellers: what do you do in the title of  your listings to reflect accurate sizing, especially if the item has one of those off-kilter "vanity" sizings? Use multiple sizes? Post a comment here!

Could New Sizing Stations Help Your Sales?   Could New Sizing Stations Help Your Sales?

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Wed Apr 10 18:49:19 2013

Whoa! That photo looks like something the TSA uses in airports! Did they scrap some? Is that a re-purpose job!

From a buyer standpoint I don't have much of a problem IF the seller provides measurements. And I really don't like to have to ask for them! Many times I move on if measurements are not provided.

As a seller, I provide measurements with an ''email me if buyer needs an additional or special measurement''. Since I take returns for any reason, I still get an occasional item back for fit reasons - sometimes you just don't know until you try it on.

If I know a brand runs oversize, I try to warn buyers, but as we all know, sometimes they don't read the listing. I do think it may encourage a few buyers to read the listing when they know they will be footing the shipping both ways. Others will never read the listing.

On the title bar I put the label size first, but then add additional sizes that may be more appropriate for a search result based on the measurements of the item. I try to make clear in the text what the label says, what size it will likely fit, and a final admonishment to go by the measurements.

Would I use it? Probably not for the pre-owned clothing I sell.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Apr 11 07:39:11 2013

Is there a machine that will take the information in an item description and place it into the brain of a buyer?

They don't read, and then they wonder why an item doesn't fit them.

This sounds like nothing but a gimmick.  I could buy three of the same style, size and model from a manufacturer and they will all have different measurements.

And don't get me started on vanity sizing.  That has done nothing but make things more confusing for buyers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Thu Apr 11 09:22:13 2013

I had read somewhere that Marilyn Monroe wore a size 12. (What would that convert to in today's vanity sizing?)

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 12 01:34:16 2013

Hey Annie Marilyn actually wore a size 16 for most of her last films. She just had all the parts in the right place as did one of her co-stars Jane Russell. As for getting the correct size posted. I go by measurements and not size. Once in a while I get one that doesn't fit but it runs about 1 in a 100 right now (knock on wood)and I hope that it stays that way.

by: artful This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 12 04:58:40 2013

I list according to the measurements, so an item labelled size 14 with a an 18'' armpit to armpit measurement would be listed as a U.K. size 10 in the listing title with an explanation about the size label anomaly inside the listing. I list all measurements that apply to the item in the description: armpit to armpit, length, waist, hip, sleeve, shoulder. I also use a model if the item fits my daughter or friends and I give their height and size details as an example. There are still buyers who do not read or  measure themselves but mostly this works very well and it also protects the seller from accusations that the item is mis-described

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Apr 12 07:22:54 2013

Artful, I like what you are doing with sizing and measurements and we do the same.  However, buyers will still state that a seller has measured wrong and file a case if an item does not fit them or if it doesn't flatter their backside or for whatever reason.  We've gotten back more than one item where we remeasured and confirmed that our measurements were indeed correct.

If they want to return an item they will find a way and some are not above being dishonest.  This is why it is very important for sellers to  use the "report buyer" feature when this happens.  I do think eBay is tracking patterns of buyers now.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Sat Apr 13 00:09:11 2013

I sell lots of used clothing and find measurements are needed esp if the item has been used or washed.  And I STILL get plenty of buyers who either ignore the posted measurements--as if these were not for the likes of THEM--and contact me to get--the measurements.

There are only so many ways to measure a garment.

And I just looooove the people who ask--Do you think this would fit a 5'6" woman who usually wears a size 14?  How the heck should I know this!   Or the ones that complain that their kids/grandkids are going to OUTGROW the item!  Well gee how many of YOUR kids toddler sweaters fit THEM when THEY went to COLLEGE?

These bizarre expectations and the encouragement of ebay for the buyer to believe that sellers have vast warehouses of same style different size--and or custom size!!!--items is part of what drives sellers bonkers.

I do buy some clothing items on line but I try to find the makers ITEM NUMBERS (usually on a tag) to make sure I am buying the SAME item I want to locate--jeans mostly---and ask if they have been washed etc not JUST size.  I have also found sellers who are unable to be either honest or who don't or won't READ a label---I purchased two pairs of jeans from the same seller--one for my husband and one for me.  I specificaly ASKED if the ones I liked were 100% COTTON (I hate those elastisised "denims") The ones for hubby were perfect--and the ones for me?  I knew as soon as I opened the BOX they were NOT 100% cotton--more like 99% Spandex!  I couldn't even bear to touch them!   And of course it said right there on the tag what they were made out of.

I offered to return them but the seller just refunded.  I felt bad but--if I HAD NOT ASKED---you could say it was on me.  But since I made a BIG DEAL about this=-and STILL got the wrong thing--well that's his carelessness.

How to get people to be realistic about their size--THAT is the machine WE need!