Sun Mar 24 2013 12:34:27

eBay TurboLister: A Chronic Duplicate Listing Problem?

By: Julia Wilkinson

EcommerceBytes has been receiving letters from readers for the past few years about a duplicate listing problem with the TurboLister tool. And yet, it seems to still be out there; at least according to some sellers on this discussion board: writes one seller, in a thread about a seller with misleading listings of mass-produced items, "Yet, they give sellers like me a 7-day vacation because Turbo Lister glitched and listed all my items twice.  Before I could correct it, ZAP. The bots helped restrict me.  No amount of calls to CS changed a thing. "We'll look into it.  In the meantime, sit back and enjoy your vacation. You do know you can still buy, right?"

She goes on to say, "But yet, high-volume sellers can continue to rip people off time and time again and nothing ever happens to them. Yep.  Sounds about right."

It's strange, because eBay has a policy about duplicate listings; Ina blogged about it last October, asking, "How Big a Problem Are eBay Duplicate Listings?" To wit, the policy states:

"The duplicate listings policy is designed to ensure sellers don't list in a way that clutters the buying experience and hurts the overall marketplace. Sellers can't have more than one fixed price listing of an identical item at the same time.

"Sellers can have more than one auction-style listing for identical items. However, only one duplicate auction-style listing without bids will appear on eBay at a time."

One of the commenters on the blog post wrote, "eBay definitely has a consistency problem with regard to duplicate listing policy enforcement, which is primarily due to the fact that eBay relies on the automated robo program which pulls listings and issues violations without human intervention or review.

"The robo enforcer incorrectly associates similar listings and misses more obvious ones. The robo enforcer appears unable to spot identical items across multiple ID's because the algorithm is likely not sophisticated enough to link multiple seller ID's across identical items."

If this is the case, I don't understand why eBay puts some resources into either fixing the robo enforcer/making it more sophisticated or (perhaps unrealistically) adding a human element.

I envision it something like this: meeting of eBay execs, #1 guy turns to #2 guy and says, "Fix the Turbo Lister duplicate listing problem."

No. 2 guy then turns to #3 guy and says the same thing. And so on, until it gets to the person or people responsible for fixing it.

Have you had a problem with duplicate listings with Turbo Lister? If you have duplicate listings created, have you had consequences from eBay, or has it been ignored? Post a comment here!

eBay TurboLister: A Chronic Duplicate Listing Problem?   eBay TurboLister: A Chronic Duplicate Listing Problem?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Mar 24 13:12:38 2013

I use TL, but I have not had this problem before thank goodness.  However I have heard of it before this article.

You are certainly right, Ebay has know for a long time that some members have complained of this problem yet it still persists.  And of course by now they should have fixed it.

The same holds true for their shipping calculator.  It does not function properly from time to time and charges the buyer incorrectly.  Sometimes higher, sometimes lower than it should be.  A problem nonetheless that Ebay has been aware of for years and never fixed.

Now I don't know if you have tried this, so just ignor me if you have.

Back up your TL files.  If you have multiple accounts set up in your TL, you will need to back up each one.

Unistall the complete program.  All of it.

Go to Ebay and re-install the program.

Now restore your backups, there is a function in TL under files to do that.

I hope this helps.  Over the years I've had other problems off and on and if the problem is serious, this usually fixes it for me.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Mar 24 21:05:48 2013

I've been reporting the TurboLister double listings SINCE 2004.

I raised such hell back then that ebafia assigned me a Draper tech who worked in some division called e-watch. The tech watched every night for a week as I relisted with TL and actually saw TL create two listings for one item.

And then e-watch refused to respond to my emails and wouldn't help me get hundreds of dollars in refunds.

So ebafia.

Instead of calling ebafia CSR only to be told over and over and over and over and over again to delete and re install TL, I should have just called on one of the ebafia cheerleaders who seem to always offer the same time wasting 'advice' as the CSRs do.

In my opinion, random double lists are intentionally built into TL because double lists benefit ebafia.

Years ago under Neg Meg Whitman when the listings fees were outrageously expensive, sellers didn't know the same item was listed twice and continued to pay for who knows how many relists.

So ebafia more often than not profited mightily from the TL double listings.

Today it's used to eliminate sellers that The Ho now longer wants and/or the discounts that The Ho sees as preventing him from earning 40 mil a year.

Bottom line is this is of many patently illegal ebafia business practices.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Mar 24 21:27:10 2013

Hey ming,

I would have no idea if the OP has received that advice before.  I don't see it in their posting or I overlooked it.  Because you received that advice does not mean the OP did.

On many other threads you have mentioned stuff about cheerleaders and while at times I felt your comments were directed at me, I wasn't sure.  Now this time since I'm the only other person that has posted, it is quite obvious.

I understand that we often do not agree with each other, but that does't make me a cheerleader for anyone. But it does mean we have a difference of opinion.  You choose to read more into it and have attempted many times to make more of it than ever intended.

When Ebay is wrong I say so, but you always overlook that.  In fact in my posting on this very thread I say something, but you choose not to acknowledge that.

Now to be perfectly clear here, I am on no one's payroll.  I am merely a seller on Ebay.  One that does read and keep herself informed.  And because I do that I'm often under attack by those that don't agree with the rules.  I don't write the rules, but if I'm going to sell on Ebay, they are rules I have to deal with, so I learn them.

If someones else chooses not to do that, that is fine, that is completely up to them.  AGain it doesn't make me somehow bad because I choose to learn them.

Many on these threads are only interested in coming here and bashing Ebay.  Someone can have an issue and get their article posted here, but few really try to help the OP, they just use whatever they have come to talk about as fuel for their Ebay bashing.

I have the right to choose not to do that and that is exactly what I choose.  I choose to try and assist those that actually came here for assistance or a better understanding of something.

Now please.  Just ignor me and leave me alone.  I have no need or desire to further discuss the matter.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 24 23:07:20 2013

Don't do that folks!

Marie, you know I think you are a DEAR, but Ming and Phil and basset- we have been here SO LONG and we have done just what you are saying, probably 50 times each and we find that ridiculous.
We are SO TIRED of hearing that stuff and that IS ALL the csr's tell us so understand what it FEELS LIKE to hear the same from you- we like you and there you go- LOL.
There are only a few folks on YOUR side and Ming is 1 of them.
For we folks who have made a living on ebain for 12-13 years like myself, these old tired "fixes" are just that- OLD.
When you tell us the same stuff THEY tell us, it usually will not be right.
We also have ANALYZED ebay for YEARS now, and we have a tremendous amount of HISTORY with them.
We are all very TIRED of having to do things all these difficult ways and just want it to work and to have our items EQUALLY shown, just like you, but we know ebay pretty good.
:-)Still looking for a girl in pajamas at 2 am at my post office.

Do not let us fight against EACH OTHER as ebay BANKS on it.
Mass Howler

by: PowerSeller2007 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 24 23:25:05 2013

Due to relisting and Turbo Listing duplicate listing problems, I was tagged a VIOLATOR. After calling 2x and 2 weeks of waiting and was promised 2x to send direct emails updating me of the status, none of the CSR fulfilled her promise.  They treat sellers as LIARs and CHEATERs when you tell ebay DUPE listing is an ebay ROBO problem.

Ebay CSR said IT IS IMPOSSIBLE for their program to create DUPE LISTINGs.  I repeat, they adamantly claimed IT IS IMPOSSIBLE.  Now. I heard it is a normal daily occurence.  ebay CSR are big LIARs.

The only conclusion I could draw are: *ebay purposely targeted small American sellers and unwilling to work with us. *it is  unwilling to admit their programmers errors. *ebay programmers are of the lowest class in the world.  *when TRS is involved, they won't revert bad actions no matter how wrong they are.  I think CSR is off limit if a TRS is involved.  Will ebay take money off their paycheck?!!!

by: PowerSeller2007 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 24 23:34:06 2013

omg, I don't see any kudo or acknowledgement like our dear Ming is getting regularly.  Each time, I check the writer, there I skip to the next writer.  Good luck to the chatter.  I still hate too many flipping pages.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 24 23:49:46 2013

POWERSELLER--seriously--what IS your problem?

AS to the DUPE issue--I am (as I keep saying!) a SMALL SELLER--and I don't use TL.  However a few times I have accidently hit the RELIST button or somehow goofed on a new listing and created a DUPE.

For which I am SOUNDLY repremanded almost instantly.

However---I see violations of this policy DAILY.  I have several SAVED SEARCHES and I see this EVERY time I look at these items--many of which have nothing to DO with the items I AM looking for.  But you have to paw thru them in hopes that you DO find the actual item you WANT in there.

When doing a new search for an item it is particularly discouraging to have to scroll thru thousands of dupes in hopes of finding what you went to ebay for in the FIRST place.  Gee--Amazon does not seem to have this problem.  Mebbe for ONCE ebay could wannabe The River and get THIS right????

Does ebay DO anything about this?  Nope.  I too have reported these things for years and have gotten--nowhere.

So--Bona Fide Small Seller--Sternly WARNED that this will result in account suspension and possible account closure for accidently hitting the wrong button and immed taking the offending dupe down.

Mega (Chinese?)  seller--Free to list thousands of exactly the SAME items and pictures to sell items possibly not relevent to Search with absolutely NO penalties.

Gee what's THAT tell ya?

by: yesterdaygirls This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 25 00:03:37 2013

For a much better listing tool I strongly urge sellers to try

I'm not getting paid to push this...but have used it for 4 years..it's an amazing product with a 30 day free trial.  It's made my auction experience virtually hassle free..there is also a feature that will prohibit you from listing the same item twice.....YG

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Mar 25 02:51:28 2013

I know some do have problems with TL and I honestly do not know why.  I've used it for years with only occasional problems.  I personally like the tool and it works well for me.  But with that said, this problem the OP is talking about has been around a long time for some sellers.  A logical person would think that by now Ebay would have fixed the problem.  They all [sellers] can't be wrong.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Mon Mar 25 04:20:27 2013

There have been problems with TurboLister for years, both getting it to perform and in getting it to then output work correctly and only once.

Many calls were made to eBay and numerous computers were used, only to be told buy the reps at eBay that Windows needed to be updated, changed or my favorite: ''not be updated yet.''

eBay seems to really care about the work that you do. They have DSRs in place to help you learn.

Yet eBay can not pin down the person or people working on TurboLister and motivate or replace them and get the program to function.

You pay eBay for service and eBay leaves you hanging. Year after year and version after version. Many people just give up and go to other services.

For years TurboLister would not even work with Apple computers.

People ask for help and they need to know that these problems have existed for years and years and years. If you think you can let them know about the problem and it will be resolved, well you are wrong.

You can be found, you can be analyzed, your mail is read, your selling limits are created and enforced and your money is there and waiting to be taken every month by eBay.

But they can not find the person screwing up TurboLister and have them replaced with someone who can write a big ''cut, paste and publish'' program. Hmmmm...

by: PowerSeller2007 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 25 07:26:10 2013

@comet
  the ebay pink was the problem here.  I skip her posts. It's what I meant.

by: PowerSeller2007 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 25 07:36:34 2013

@MH
   We know she is a stealth ebay pink dog.  It sure smells like it.  Each quotes were taken right out of ebay customer service manual.  I have dealt with them for years.  They are using same tricks on ebay boards.

She was asking for IDs and the other came and was asking what the other guy was selling.

This user has validated their user name. by: MJRock

Mon Mar 25 08:13:32 2013

My advise, look up SIXBIT software.  Absolutely wonderful TL and Blackthorne alternative, and its desktop based just like those programs.  There is a charge, but it is so worth not pulling your hair out each time you relist.

If I had a penny for each time I had to restore that stupid turbo lister database .... Argh!

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 25 14:10:55 2013

The ebay TRS rewards larger sellers. I bought something from an ebay TRS. I received a UPS tracking number, a week later when my item did not arrive I looked up the tracking and it was a dead tracking number UPS did not pick up anything. I called the seller and it was a foreign run company supposedly based in California. I was put on hold for 10 minutes  and then was told we lost the shipping label??? We will ship the item. The seller had 99% feedback and unfortunately this seller is the only one who had the item I needed, I checked out his TRS numbers 4.9 4.9 4.9 5.0 but they had 70 negs and 73 neutrals. The TRS numbers for ratings left for item Nad were significantly lower. I have had 2 negs in 2yrs he sells 6 times what I do, so the numbers do not add up. This is a classic example of numbers being fudged for a large seller or also the TRS system flaws showing. Ebay is ready to pounce on small sellers and they do pounce on them, and they reward bad sellers. I cannot be a TRS because I cannot ship in one day, my items are custom made for that buyer only. So you have someone who sells 1500 items a year with one negative,and someone who sells 6000 items with 68 negatives. The sellers with the 60 negs is a TRS. I also have had my ads ended here and there over the years for listing policies that I did not knoe about and I was only doing what the big guys were doing. My listings were ended so I reported the big guys listings, the big guys listing remained. Ebay is completely against small business and is clearly making policies which favor large sellers who are scoundrels. These are facts if you make a mistake you are punished if a large seller makes a mistake they are rewarded with a TRS badge and a bump in the search listings and a discount on fees. I get more sales everyday from other venues and I celebrate each one because I know it used to be a ebay sale. So if you have beenscrewed by ebay list your item somewhere other than ebay do a few a day. etsy, bonanza, ecrater and a personal website. DO NOT USE TURBOLISTER

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Mon Mar 25 14:57:03 2013

I've been using TL for years with no problems. The only time I've seen duplicates they were my own fault for not paying attention when I relisted. That said, I'm low-volume, so I'm less likely to see issues than a higher volume seller, just by virtue of there being fewer chances for screwups with fewer items listed.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Mon Mar 25 16:57:27 2013

Fortunately (knock-wood) I've never had any double-listing problems with TurboLister.

I can say, however, that it's got to be one of the clunkiest and buggy programs that I've ever used.

Lousy interface. Unpredictable behavior. Slow to load. Slow to execute. Slow to process. Non-standard behavior. (Hey programmers, ''control-insert'' is a valid alternative for ''control-c''!)

The ''features'' and capabilities are often out of date and do not correspond with or comply with the same fields one might see when listing a single item online.

One might imagine that a corporation with as much money as eBay could find a team of professional and dedicated programmers who had the ability to bring TurboLister up to date.

Instead, TurboLister reminds me of the ''hack'' utility programs that my husband writes in Visual Basic. (ie: Good enough for personal use, but lacking the sophistication that one would expect in something that's offered to the public.)

As it stands now, I imagine that TurboLister has been (and perhaps always will be) the neglected red-headed-stepchild of eBay. --- It's cobbled together with no continuity. It's a low (very low) priority piece of software that's assigned to their fresh-out-of-trade-school entry-level programmers, or their ''intern-programmers'' (who merely seek college credits and an extra line on their CV.)

Year after year... TurboLister is handed-off to a new inexperienced committee of programmers. The end result is a fragile program that's filled with holes and patched with duct tape. Every new ''improvement'' causes a cascading effect that reveals more bugs.

Other than that... it's a GREAT PROGRAM and I like it very much! ;-)

by: tc This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 25 17:33:16 2013

Both Turbo Lister AND File Exchange are total Garbage. They are billed for the "medium to large volume" seller yet they are both so full of bugs that never get fixed.

Little hint about Turbo Lister: If you have more than 3000 records total in the thing, it blows up. Poof! Gone! Time to delete everything and reinstall. Also, the more records you have in it, the slower it gets... until it becomes totally unresponsive and Ebay CS starts telling you to DELETE files. That last sentence wasn't a typo.

Ebay has NO VIABLE LISTING APPS. Listing via Ebay's web interface isn't even an option except for Mom and Dad. Sad, isn't it?

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Mon Mar 25 19:04:47 2013

It works is about the best thing you can say for it.

Oh yes, DO NOT put a carriage control character (x15 as in importing Word document sentences) in the description field or unmatched parenthesis. It thinks it's another field & gets thoroughly confused.

I can go on and on.

Ebay programmers: the Bain of my existence.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 25 21:19:24 2013

I don't use Turbolister but have had my "share" of issues with ebays bizarre "Dupe listing" policy--if I have accidently re-listed the same item I get nastygrams and told that "My account is in jeopardy"--yet--

Every day I see THOUSANDS of dupe listings from mega (Chinese?) sellers in a lot of categorys.  Many of which have NOTHING to do with what I am actually searching FOR.   SEarching for a motorcycle headlight turns up thousands of exactly the SAME listing and picture---and searching for a CAR headlight turns up EXACTLY the SAME lister and picture and description  as the bike headlight!!!!--by the thousands!  How can this BE???

We all know the "answer" to this so I won't go into it but--it surely is NOT good business to have legit sellers items BURIED so the person who WANTS to buy is driven off site to a competitor.

Yet this is what ebay is doing every day.   A regular seller gets warnings and suspensions and can lose their account while the mega seller is treated like a lil angel baby.

Not a fan.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Mar 25 21:53:30 2013

@Mass

Thank you and I respect what you are saying and certainly how you are saying it.  But I have no way of knowing if the oP had ever been told that before and there are so many different problems with TL that some experience and some don't.  It's worth a try.  It may or may not work.  Either way it doesn't put me on Ebay's payroll as others so rudely continue to say.  That is what I take issue with.

My posting wasn't intended for other posters here.  It was in response to the OP and I was just trying to help.  While this may not work all the time or ever for the duplicate problem, it has worked for other problems.  When I created the post, I did not take into consideration what other regular poster have or haven't heard, again I was just addressing the OP.  But others just love to read more into it.

And frankly it's old.  It is just a way to deflect as those that say stuff like that about me are those that only come here to complain.

You are assuming that I don't have very much experience on Ebay.  Not sure where that is coming from, but either way, it isn't true.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with you at all.  You are always respectful.