Tue Feb 19 2013 12:38:05

How Effective Is the eBay New New Home Page?

By: Julia Wilkinson

eBay has now officially rolled out its Pinterest-like home page to all its users. I've been seeing the new feed-based home page since it was first introduced in October, so it doesn't feel that new to me. But as eBay is asking for feedback on how effective the new image- and preference-based home page is, I'd like to get your opinion. Are you using the new feed-based home page, and if so, do you feel it enhances your experience on eBay?

As a seller, do you think it has a positive, negative, or neutral impact on your sales?

If you go to the page at eBay.com/new, you are prompted to "Create A Feed On Your Homepage," including adding "your favorite interests, brands, and trends," so you can "Get inspired by fresh new items" and "See new discoveries each time you visit."

Personally, I don't think that much one way or another about the new home page, other than getting a chuckle out of things it shows me, because some of those things are things I've actively searched to buy, and others are just random things I'm selling. For example, my feed is currently showing me a West Point mug, because I just listed one yesterday. But if it helps any of my buyers find me, I'd be happy about that. I just don't know if it does.

I miss seeing more of the categories available at one click from the home page. They seem so consolidated now. But maybe I'm just turning into an old fogey.

What is your opinion of the new style home page, and are you using it or not? As both a buyer and/or a seller, how do you think it affects you? Post a comment here!

How Effective Is the eBay New New Home Page?   How Effective Is the eBay New New Home Page?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Tue Feb 19 14:27:02 2013

I NEVER EVER go to eBay's homepage and this new format will not change that.

Here is what eBay is missing, unless you are a collector of items, once most buyers find the item they want on eBay, they are done shopping for that item.

Having a homepage displaying items similar to what I have looked for in the past is about as appealing to me as whipped cream on dog turds.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Tue Feb 19 15:46:33 2013

I did not think I would use it. I was wrong. Several of the items I purchased in the past few months were first seen on the ''feed'' and put in my watch list.

Have you edited your feed?
Mine is based on searches of items I'd like to see or things I'm hunting for. Buy an item & don't want to see listings like it anymore? - That search is easily removed from the feed. Replace it with another or just leave the ones you already have on there.

If you don't edit your feed to suit yourself, you'll see a feed based on your recent purchases or items you recently viewed or searched for. That was the first thing I changed!!!

I have no way of knowing if buyers purchased anything of mine from it,  but some of MY items do  show up on the ''feed''.

I remember when my kids were in school someone did a presentation about how some kids were visual learners.  I must be a visual searcher. I'd give it 2 thumbs up if Basset's had any.

This user has validated their user name. by: permacrisis

Tue Feb 19 16:42:52 2013

I did "see new discoveries each time I visit"... it was called Time Ending Soonest.

These dunderheads couldn't fix a sandwich.

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Tue Feb 19 18:38:39 2013

Well - it takes my searches & creates a nice collage.

Will I use it? Doubtful since I use my saved searches.

Nice graphics. Ok, it'll get boring in a week or so. Maybe some sound & video.

My 7th grade teacher warned me about the evils or marketing. Ebay is about marketing. I guess I am too, since I sell my wares here.

Oh well.

Maybe it just comes down to how you spend or want to spend your time here on earth.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue Feb 19 22:17:04 2013

What new home page?

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 20 06:19:17 2013

Who CARES about ebays home page?
It shows what I listed YESTERDAY or what I bought a year ago- what use is that?
We are mice in a cage and there is no cheese at the end- only an ever-increasing BILL and LOWER and LOWER exposure, and I now live 100% PISSED OFF ALL THE TIME.
11-12 years ago when I started EVERY ITEM SOLD- NO RELISTS- EVER.
Now I have a huge mortgage and I struggle to pay it every month and I eat every other day.
This is what being an honest seller on ebay will do for you so I do not give a RATS ASS about their new home page- I want my EXPOSURE BACK- The exposure I am PAYING MORE THAN EVER FOR, no matter what ebay says (lowest fees ever)??!
With re-lists I am paying over 30% top ebay now and this cannot go on.
All these problems and a new home page- WOOPIE!

Buyers are starting to learn that if they go to the big box's sites DIRECTLY instaed of buying them on Big box ebay that the price is usually 10% less on their DIRECT websites- they are only on ebay to CONTROL their brands here- they stick their slow movings or returns here and they get CONTROL of what OTHER sellers are listing of theirs. That IS their strategy- and JD has bought it 110%.
Companies are willing to associate with a CRAPPY co. like ebay so they can control the sale of their products here by smaller sellers.
Adidas was not willing to have ANYTHING TO DO WITH ebay and they SUED and now NOBODY can sell adaidas here- if you ask me adidas is on the ball and SMART.
Mass Howler

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Wed Feb 20 08:49:58 2013

Philip - It refers to ''The Feed''. When discussed previously, you did not have it available in Austraila. Did you guys get it yet? Maybe only USA has it?

by: JohnGermaine This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 20 10:32:49 2013

If it's that ''feed'' thing, I pay it little attention, who has any money to shop??!! I'm here to sell so I can pay my bills. I looked once and it's full of stuff I researched, stuff I was thinking of selling, so to me it's pretty useless. Maybe it entices others, maybe collectors of specific items and they would go looking at them. A cross section of what is available would make more sense if you stop and think about it.

This user has validated their user name. by: monkey

Wed Feb 20 15:33:04 2013

You may not care for it, but that's the way people shop these days.

I think it's great for buyers. I'm a seller, so anytime I can get a chance at some free visibility I'll take it!

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Wed Feb 20 16:08:57 2013

Sorry Bassett, I was being facetious ... I used “saved searches” for what I am interested in, not eBafia’s crazy idea of what I might be interested in …

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Wed Feb 20 20:26:15 2013

No prob, Philip.

I use my ''Saved Searches'', too. But my ''feed'' is based on several of my existing searches. Kind of a ''search'' at a glance!

Since I have the searches (and feed) set to ''New items'', I've been able to pick up a few newly listed bargains from my ''feed'' just by hitting the ''refresh''.  Stuff with BINs that would normally be snapped up fairly quickly.

I don't really spend a lot of time on that page either. Just a glance now & then.  Only the newest stuff is at the top, so you don't have to revisit old territory.

Like a lot of things, it’s a choice. But, IMO it is a positive mechanism.

by: jjm This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 20 22:17:32 2013

I just looked at new eBay page and I really see no benefit. I have been on eBay for past 12 years both selling and buying. I use to have eBay moblie but deleted it because of the constant email listing offers sent daily of items I would never have any use for. Another bad idea coming from eBay...once a gaint now a passing ''has been''.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Wed Feb 20 23:08:10 2013

I believe JD was hired to make ebay irrelevant and he is succeeding. Notice how the ebay logo was changed to all lower caps but PayPal stands out. Something to think about.

I never spend any time on the homepage since ebay has always made it difficult to log in and get to ''my ebay'' page. Anyone else have/had that problem being held captive against your will on the homepage?

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 21 23:22:58 2013

they are SO DESPERATE they have 100% COPIED Pinterest, which really is a START-UP.
If I was the owner of Pinterest I would SUE the living **** out of them.
Gee, copy a start-up- this CEO is OUT OF HIS MIND.
MH
They are UNABLE to come up with ANY ideas themselves- this absolutely PROVES that!
I betcha Meg is VERY ENTERTAINED!

by: elancep This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 28 21:32:33 2013

I don't think it will make much difference perhaps a few impulse buyers will find something that catches their eye.