Sun Jan 20 2013 12:19:24

Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?

By: Julia Wilkinson

In today's ECB Update article, Camtasia and Jing Help Sellers Deliver Better Sales and Service, sellers of different products talk about ways they use video to help their sales and build their brand. Most of them are making free informational videos and posting them to YouTube.

But not many of them talk about including video in their auctions to showcase their products.

"I think video is very underutilized on eBay," said Michael Ford, of Elite Minds Inc.  "I have actually made some purchases (or tried to) this week and some sellers lost the sale because I could not tell from their description or photos if the product would meet my needs. A video might have made the sale; not having the right information cost them a sale."

It's true that I don't see many listings that incorporate video. I recall the unveiling of the ability to include a video in an eBay listing at an eBay Live, where it was introduced with such flourish.

Why do you think videos aren't used more in online selling? My sense is it's simply because they're more time-consuming that just taking still photos. However, for sellers of high-end items, and for commodity products that they sell and resell regularly, I think investing a little time in a video is worth it.

I have made videos for some of the expensive Chanel bags I have sold. This is because I really don't want returns on these items, and there are many details buyers have questions about that video can show best, to show this kind of item is genuine.

Do you use video in your listings, and why or why not? Do you think they should be used more? Are there specific examples of good videos you have seen on eBay or other sites? Post a comment here!

Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?   Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 20 13:52:20 2013

Except in special cases video should *not* be used in ebay listings.  Especially automatically playing video where as soon as you look at the page you get a video of some guy telling you how great he is and how you should buy from him.

Websites should be seen and not heard.

The exception is if you want to show an item in operation, and someone has to click on it to start it.

Blaring loud speech or music, playing automatically should be banned.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sun Jan 20 15:16:54 2013

@Steevo , I'll second that ...

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Sun Jan 20 15:29:42 2013

Ditto.

The only additions I care for are small sound bites if an object is supposed to make a certain noise.

For example a clock striking, a Tibetan singing bowl, a doorbell etc.... Done right & kept to a minimum, I think these can help a buyer decide on an item.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Sun Jan 20 15:33:14 2013

I might add that the examples of sound bites I've seen require the viewer to activate the sound.

I would not be so impressed if the sound was automatic.

Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?   Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 20 16:35:55 2013

That's a true story, btw. There was a guy who had a cartoon character supposed to look like him running continuously on all his ebay listings, telling in a blaring voice how great he was.  I couldn't leave quick enough. How the hell are you supposed to look at what he was selling with that going on?

Annoying.

Websites should be seen and not heard.  Unless I tell it to say something, it should be silent.

What if it's 1 A.M and it wakes up your S.O.?  Or at work and others hear it?  That is just as annoying as anything gets.

Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?   Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 20 16:39:05 2013

I have used a video a couple times, showing a machine working smoothly.

The viewer had to initiate it.  It was great and I got positive comments, it helped to make a buying decision.

But there is just too much automatically playing music and noise online.  Any at all of that stuff is too much IMHO.

Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?   Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?

by: NullApps This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 20 22:49:58 2013

@ Steevo

I always leave my speakers on mute.  If I want something to make a sound I unmute.  On most computers and keyboards it is a simple or two key presses to mute and unmute.  Really I don't understand why someone wouldn't do this to begin with.

Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?   Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?

by: BackInBlack This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 20 23:44:04 2013

I'll...what, FOURTH what @Steevo, @Philip and @Basset have said - it's freakin' annoying, esp. the 'automatically playing' kind (and even worse if it's merely for 'entertainment value' and in no way really related to the item).
Also, even with high-speed Interwebs, it causes longer page-loads.

@NullApps - Why don't I keep my speakers muted? I'll *tell* you why. Whenever I'm doing anything on eBay (or online at all), I'm always doing several other things at once. Most often I'm watching a video on my 2nd monitor or listening to music or some educational show or Uncle Griff on eBay radio while surfing eBay.
Why should I have to disable my speakers just because some jackass thought it'd be cool to have "Billie Jean" blasting as I try to look at their Michael Jackson keychain listing (or whatever)???

Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?   Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?

by: BackInBlack This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 20 23:46:44 2013

The only time I've found a video really useful is a 'how-to' about the product and using it, and it was one that I had to push 'play' to watch.  The one I remember most recently was for a grill bottle adapter, which allows you to refill the small Coleman and Bernzomatic 'disposable' LP gas bottles from a larger grill bottle. One vendor had a very well-done, short (~2 minute) video that showed exactly how to use it.

Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?   Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?

by: DonC This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 21 03:19:28 2013

I considered linking to some videos prepared by my venders. Ebay is so nutty I figured they would remove the listing for one reason or another.

Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?   Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?

by: KathleenJohnson This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 21 07:08:46 2013

Except for very high end items, "time" is the factor here both for the "Buyer" and "Seller".

But I do agree, in the day and age of smart phones - I am surprised I am not seeing more "video" on the listings.

-----------------

Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?   Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?

by: Ed This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 21 12:26:23 2013

It looks like it would take a lot of time and time is money. It would maybe be a good idea if ebay would not try so hard to control the search. To spend this money and not get good search is like driving down the freeway and throwing money out the window.

Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?   Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 22 04:50:17 2013

Julie,
With all the glitchs at ebay, putting videos into the listings is not even a concern for the vast majority of users.
We have enough trouble getting listings to work WITHOUT videos.
Respectfully,
Mass Howler

Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?   Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 22 04:54:11 2013

A small seller would never want to add an unnecessary element into an ebay listing as it MAY limit the simple exposure of the ad. Ads from small sellers with large files attached may cause the ad to go to an inactive server.
Who knows right?
MH

Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?   Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?

This user has validated their user name. by: permacrisis

Tue Jan 22 09:43:50 2013

How about a silent video that simply kept blinking, over and over:

"Money orders gladly accepted!" ☺

Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?   Is Video Underused in eBay Listings?

by: BackInBlack This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 22 11:30:42 2013

@Permacrisis - Good one! LMAO!