Tue Jan 15 2013 17:11:44

Etsy Valentine Board: Does Pinterest Help Sell Your Things?

By: Julia Wilkinson

In an Etsy discussion board on LinkedIn, a user named Sue posted that she had put together a Pinterest board of Valentine-themed items from Etsy Shops. This prompted much admiration of the items in the various shops by the other users, and some other Etsy shop owners asking to be added.

As I perused the images on the board, I wondered how much Pinterest, or even a bunch of images in the Pinterest style on some other web site, really helps sell things. I wouldn't mind owning any of the cute items on the board, especially some of the heart necklaces. But I was too busy at that time to buy anything.

I'm wondering what your experience has been as a seller: Has Pinterest sold anything for you? Or have you been able to track it, if it did? In other words, someone told you they saw it on your Pinterest board?

I also wonder if the Web has gone a bit too crazy over this Pinterest-style presentation, with eBay's home page morphing into that format, and even Facebook's just-announced "Graph Search," which in its intro page shows a bunch of images of people, places, restaurants, what have you ("people, places and things"), that match typed words by the user.

Are images selling things, and if so, what has sold for you that way? Or are we all going too image-crazy? Have I used too many images in this blog post, for that matter? Post a comment here!

Etsy Valentine Board: Does Pinterest Help Sell Your Things?   Etsy Valentine Board: Does Pinterest Help Sell Your Things?

by: Digmen1 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 15 23:39:30 2013

I don't know,
But Pinterest has a VERY high Alexa rating, and there are a few similar sites eg Wanelo.

by: jrmbizworld This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 15 23:44:44 2013

Pinterest is a great place to sell things online. First off the images can me made clickable and revert back to your site.

It can also create brand awareness because your Pinterest profile can have a link to your site.

There is a complete step-by-step training series on my site for Pinterest for anyone interested in learning more.

I had a good deal of business from Pinterest to my eBay store from images I had posted. Just my two cents.

I'm glad you wrote about the Facebook Graph search, I had no idea and I am off to learn more now. Thank you. Have a blessed evening.

Debora

by: Digmen1 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 16 21:04:15 2013

Well, with 2 replies interest in Pinterest sales is really pumping.

Then why doe sit rank so highly?

This user has validated their user name. by: juliawww

Wed Jan 16 22:39:51 2013

Lol digmen.. I guess people would rather look than talk about it. ;)

by: RAOTFLMAO This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 17 05:05:24 2013

Can't hurt to use Pinterest, one more venue to show your stuff and point potential buyers to your products.  My followers and repins are growing. What the heck, as I list an item one more click will put it on facebook and on Pinterest.

by: Daisy909 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 17 07:08:33 2013

When I post a new Etsy item I can send my items to Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter. No one has ever told me they saw my item on Pinterest (or the other 2 sites) but I can track how many clicks I get from those sites. All (free) advertising is GOOD!

by: KathleenJohnson This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 17 09:48:23 2013

1. Yes, Pinterest can garner "interest" but it takes a long time to build up a "following"
2 The Pinterest search function is lack luster at best
3. I saw Wanelo mentioned - I am not seeing much feedback from that site although others are touting its merits.

Kathleen Johnson
Waveland, Ms

This user has validated their user name. by: permacrisis

Thu Jan 17 14:50:36 2013

First you think of buying something.
Then you go where it can be bought,
Then you buy it.

And the trouble with most of the ''beggar 'n' hanger-on'' sites is that nobody thinks to go there to shop.

On FaceBook: ''Wow. She got fat.''

On Twitter: ''Holy smokes, so an' so just died!''

On Pinterest: ''You know, that is really beautiful/old/expensive/out there''

...but none of those people were shopping.

My hunch? You will get more return by correctly naming your images so they show up in Google Image Search, which takes people STRAIGHT to your listings page-- it boggles my mind how many people will allow something named ''IMG_032'' to grace a listing, it's like panning for gold but saving only the rocks. It's one of the last great seller helps Google still does for free.

And the more people list straight from their phones, the worse it's gonna get.

by: Digmen1 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 17 19:06:57 2013

@Permacrisis
yes you are partly right If someone wants to buy something they are not going to go to Pinterest.

But what about the millions of people that ARE looking at pinterest, they must be clicking and looking at things they like and going to websites etc.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 17 21:35:46 2013

I love Pinterest and spend as much time on it as I can. Since I actively started using it right at the end of December, Google Analytics is showing my overall traffic is up, my social traffic sources via Pinterest went from 40+ hits to over 100 in two weeks, and my sales are up. I sell on ecrater and can't get my site to show as a link, but I do plenty of other things to get that traffic. I have lots of people pinning and repinning my items. I think that you need to think outside the box for how you use Pinterest to get folks interested and going to your site. I think over the next year and beyond I will be getting lots of traffic from there and I certainly sing its praises, but the best thing? I love Pinterest just for itself. It is the type of site that I have been looking for for a long to to remember things and sites that I don't want to forget and to be able to share with others that like what I do. Do I think it will be a good site for someone that only sells cell phones? Probably not, but with creative thinking you can probably create interest in anything you sell there.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 10 08:14:02 2013

My Etsy sales increased tremendously after I started pinning nearly every item to one of my own boards and a group board. I've had one customer actually tell me that she bought the item after seeing it on Pinterest.