Wed Sept 19 2012 11:20:16

How's Etsy Doing on Marketplace Integrity?

By: Julia Wilkinson

Etsy's head of the Marketplace Integrity and Trust & Safety Team (MITS), Julian Wong, recently posted the latest update on marketplace integrity on one of the Etsy blogs. (In other Etsy News, Ina reported today that Etsy just launched a new photo-cropping tool for thumbnail images).

I had to smile, because the post, like the Etsy site itself, had so much personality. Wong shared not only his business background (he worked at Google and his own startup company) but about his fond memories as a child growing up in Brooklyn of his dad taking him to art class every Saturday morning at Pratt Institute. "I understand how much you care about your work and I’m committed to maintaining our standards for the marketplace where you sell," he wrote.

Among the things Wong listed that the team has done to improve site integrity:

- added 10 new staffers to the MITS team;
- "On average we are reviewing your reports under 24 hours and 35% faster;
- "Our internal detection system, SCRAM (Systems for Catching Resellers and Abusers of the Marketplace), is automatically preventing 20% more policy violators from re-listing;
- "SCRAM is identifying 30% more accounts for review by the MITS team."

Wong explained in detail the careful review process that the team undertakes when a shop is reported. He pointed out that when a shop may seem to be a reseller because it sells the same or similar items as another shop, it does not necessarily mean that shop is reselling items. "As buyers' appetites for these items increase so do the number of sellers that create these items to satisfy demand. Therefore, it’s not uncommon to find multiple sellers who have access to the same supplies and skills competing to make the same items for buyers, he explained.

The MITS team examines each case and if it determines the shop needs further review, it asks the seller or shop owner a series of questions, including: to name each person and detail his/her role in the shop; to describe the materials and equipment they use to make their items; to outline in detail how they make the item(s); to show pictures of the raw materials used; and to show step-by-step photographs of their handmade process.

There is even an example of a series of photos in which a seller who makes a certain type of necklace demonstrates her process thoroughly (they blurred her shop and personal name in the photos for her privacy).

This seems like a lot of progress to me, but I am just a casual Etsy seller. Etsy sellers out there, what do you think of how far the site has come with marketplace integrity, in terms of resellers and other issues such as copyright problems? Have you ever reported a shop? Or, have you worried someone would report your shop because your products looked so similar to the wares in another shop, even though you made them by hand? Post a comment here!

How's Etsy Doing on Marketplace Integrity?   How's Etsy Doing on Marketplace Integrity?

by: mylifeisgood This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 19 13:27:18 2012

Second in integrity to only Fleabay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Wed Sep 19 20:05:15 2012

@mylifeisgood: perhaps you ought to choose a new screen name. Your life can't be that good if all you can do is make negative comments about everything.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 20 09:05:32 2012

@Tula: My thought exactly.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bad Hair Day

Thu Sep 20 09:16:28 2012

Go To Etsy and do a search for a 'J Crew Bubble Necklace'. That will give you an indication of how well they're doing? It makes me wonder if anyone on the Etsy staff shops on that site themselves? The site is flooded with cheap mass produced merchandise and their discussion board is and has been flooded with complaints about the situation. Their front page is 'curated' to give customers the 'impression' that Etsy is all about handmade.Etsy has very little integrity, if any. The talented artists who sell there are merely eye candy for the re-sellers. At least on eBay you know up front when you're purchasing mass produced Chinese junk.Etsy is a farce!

by: WhoKnewIt This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 20 09:31:20 2012

Etsy has a long way to go regarding removing resellers.  When you flag a shop and provide countless links to where the "shop owner" is purchasing the goods to resell.....and you see the shop still live 6 months later?  I don't think Etsy is doing much of anything about it.  Resellers bring a lot of money to Etsy...why would they want to get rid of them?

by: treasures This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 20 10:50:29 2012

Etsy is full of China and Hong Kong junk.....their same items sold also on ebay under different names.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 20 11:27:08 2012

I just ordered a couple of supplyitems from an Etsy seller claiming to be in an Asian country. I was amused to see, in the shipping confirmation email, that my purchase is being shipped by USPS!

by: ibuysel This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 20 12:16:28 2012

Wow! I did search for the j crew bubble necklace and so many sellers that are even listed as shipping from China. I sold on Etsy several years ago. Has their standards gone down hill or was I just naive?

by: marcellina This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 20 13:56:54 2012

Etsy is too busy harassing the vintage sellers to pay any attention to who's mass produced. Constantly being reported by other members for their items not being vintage and the reporter does not have to provide any proof of the accusation. Yet, the blatant copyright infringement that goes on by supposedly handmade sellers, Chanel, Fendi, YSL, Coach, Kate Spade, Givenchy, Dior, just to name a few, are having their logos and brand names used to sell all types of counterfeit merchandise. Truly incredible Etsy turns a blind eye to these illegal activities but is on the case with vintage sellers at the drop of a hat.  Hypocrisy Team is more like it.

by: mmeghani This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 17 18:15:20 2013

My wife sells about 5 pieces of jewelry per year, all hand made in India when she goes to her workshop there.  Nothing machine made. Etsy shut her shop down because she does not have photos to document how they were made? How can she have that? They expect her to fly to India & photograph her workshop? The integrity dept's service is poor.

by: Art Studio This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 30 19:17:25 2013

Etsy is doing awful in the Integrity area, they claim they hire specialized people to do this job, which is not true. They keep shutting down stores of legitimate artists/artisans and promoting resellers.
We were one of the many shut down without a legitimate reason after having sold there for 4 years and having 100% positive feedback.

We created this funny video animation portraying their ill practices:

An
d
no Julian, having gone to art classes on Saturdays as a kid does not qualify you to judge the work or business of professional crafters.

by: ilovezoey This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 17 08:33:33 2013

I have been an etsy buyer for over 4 years now spending thousands of dollars on merchandise from many of etsy shops. I opened my own shop last year.I have been reported by who knows who to many times and have had my shop closed 2 times. The most recent of the two times my shop has closed was just this past week to be exact it was May 13th. I was shocked at the.reason my shop was closed and how I am being harrased by etsys integrity team . I sell vintage items and mostly sterling silver vintage jewelry I purchase from vintage shops , I research each item carefully and ask many questions to the seller when I buy and invest my money in a vintage jewelry piece. I have been contacted by etsys " INTEGRITY" team saying that most of my jewelry pieces are not vintage. The most amazing thing is that I have purchased these vantage jewelry pieces at other etsy shops that specialize only on selling vintage jewelry. My jewelry pieces are all researched to verify that they are vintage , plus when you have an eye for vintage jewelry like I do and was raised in a family that loves vintage and was raised seeing and knowing vintage it is much easier to know what is vintage or not. They will not point out what items they "ASSUME" are not vintage and tell me this .... We will not reinstate your selling privelages untill you remove all the items that are not suppose to be sold here at etsy. So I have asked them to tell me what items they are talking about and they will not tell me ! Of course they are, assuming so they don't know . I have been asked numerous questions in an email asking me all sorts of questions that are ridiculous and I have answered all of them with " INTEGRITY" a.word etsy team members do not know the meaning of. That, being said I am now being harrased with false accusations in every email I receive from them threating me of not opening up my shop if I.do not remove the items in violation. I ask myself ... How can I and why, should I remove items from my shop that are genuinely vintage ?? Yet they will not tell me what items or answer my questions. That is called no integrity and harrasing a human being. Take a look at this ... Have you seen how many mass produced items are being sold at etsy shops ???? It is thousands of shops that are up and running currently at etsy with, hundreds and many thousands of sales in each of these shops ! It's clear to the naked eye its mass production and they will not target those shops or close them down ! Why ??? Well etsy is making huge profits from these shops that sell mass production..Where is the integrity there ??? Nowhere! Yet they target shops like mine.that are doing everything the honest way because someome who wants to have my shop shut down reports my shop.. i will stand for what I know is right , I keep on receiving harrasing emails from etsy integrity team everyday without any resolution at all. They do not have trained people who.know anything about vintage goods !!! Etsy deserves a big law suit. I'm thinking of filing a law suit for accusing me of selling items that they assume are not vintage without proving to me they are not, and for harrasing me.

This user has validated their user name. by: Forestt

Fri May 17 13:05:20 2013

Etsy is a complete joke. Another marketplace that had a head of steam and could have actually competed with eBay but they dropped the ball just like Bonanza.

Why they didn't just open up other categories for sellers is beyond me? Banning shops and creating a bad reputation is not the way to do business.

Furthermore, I would never, ever sell anywhere that charges upfront listing fees.

by: pissedkitty This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 10 17:19:12 2013

I have been a seller on Etsy since the beginning and for the last 2 years I have seen the implementation of a dictatorship like system, the coming of Chinese resellers with mass produced junk, muzzling of complaining sellers by repressive measures like banning from the forum and shops arbitrarily taken down.
Favoritism is rampant as well and if your are not part of the ''privileged cast of sellers'' you will suddenly and helplessly see your livelihood and years of hard work go down the drain with 60% or more of your monthly income disappear. Etsy manipulates your store visibility and control what you sell to the dollar. YES, THEY CAN AND THEY DO!!!
The new search engine is an enigma. The admin's favorite sellers are mysteriously and ALWAYS more relevant than the others in the search results, establishing an obvious dominance and by the same token enjoy the advantage of a free promoting tool while most sellers become invisible, no matter the ''relevancy'', quality and number of items in their stores. A bias search engine with an agenda?
These same privileged/favorite sellers can also infringe copyright laws with impunity and Etsy turns its head the other way.
Customer service/support is inexistent and limited to email but if and when you are lucky enough to be granted an answer to your inquiry, it is a condescending and/or mean one.
Recently Etsy has removed the dual feedback system and implemented a one way and  arbitrary star review, leaving sellers at the mercy of dishonest buyers.
The last five months Etsy has multiplied its testings on thousands of unsuspecting stores and many sellers have seen their income slashed to nothing while the ''privileged cast'', under the Etsy protectorate, is enjoying an exponential multiplication of their sales.
For the past 2 years and particularly for the past months Etsy has taken away the livelihood of many, ruined families and destroyed lives without even a flutter of hesitation.
Etsy has become a heartless entity devoid of compassion and moral ethics. It has fallen to the level of the big corporations where bribery, corruption and repression are prevalent.
Wouldn't it be time for a class action lawsuit?

by: joejeweler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 28 13:33:55 2017

Well,... Etsy's Integrity team is incompetent to say the least..... and possibly much worse?

Many months ago I took over a day to put up 10 of my Ti Rod Tactical Products, only to have them all deactivated within a day even though, as I pointed out, there were MANY items up and active that were obvious related Kubotan & Yawara Stick self defense items. Pointing that out made NO difference, and THEY remained up for a lengthy period of time!

....so on a few of the items, which DO have other helpful and legitimate uses, I relisted only describing their uses that should have been NO issue. Unfortunately, they were also pulled because I had ''previously'' listed them as self defense items if needed in ''an emergency''. WTF?? No chance to correct an honest mistake (SINCE I DID see many related items UP and active on Etsy!),..and the item(s) are banned forever? Ridiculous....

So a few days ago I decided to try again, and listed just TWO items with absolutely no reference to self defense in either Title, Description, Tags. I have included those details further down, so that you can see the 2nd ridiculous response I received from Sasha at the Etsy Integrity Team.

This listing was regarding my very short Titanium 4-5/8'' long ''spinning'' stick, to aid in hand rehabilitation after an injury. It's also FUN to spin, so the patient will want to work with it more to regain dexterity and finer motor functioning of the healed hand. The photos I included only showed the spinning function like a stop motion clip.

It didn't matter that this is a quite useful product with noteworthy benefits for injured patients, the incompetent fools at Etsy's Integrity team again pulling both of the new listings!

So, I am including the details of our contact below, AND the full details of the listing, to SHOW there is NO reference or depiction of a ''self defense'' tool!  Simply doesn't matter with the fools running the place!

Joe T

Hello,

This is Bill from Etsy's Marketplace Integrity team. Our records indicate that we've previously contacted you about violations of Etsy's selling policies in your shop. Because we're continuing to see these policy violations, your selling privileges have been suspended.

As a reminder, Etsy prohibits the sale of weapons, including (but not limited to) certain kinds of blunt force objects:

Billy clubs
Loaded sticks
Numchuks
Slapjacks
Three sectioned staffs
Tonfas
Brass knuckles/knuckle dusters
Any blunt force object that is presented with descriptions, titles, or tags that market it as a weapon (e.g.: a baseball bat tagged ''self defense'' or ''combat'')
We want you to have a successful shop on Etsy. However, if you are unable or unwilling to comply with our policies, we may have to suspend your selling privileges permanently.

If you are interested in regaining your selling privileges, I ask that you do the following:

1.) Review all of your listings and remove any that don't meet Etsy's policies. Your items can be found in your inactive listings: https://www.etsy.com/your/listings/inactive

2.) Write back to me confirming that you understand our policies and intend to abide by them in the future.

Should your shop be reinstated after this confirmation, this will be your final opportunity to comply with Etsy's selling policies. Further policy violations will result in the permanent termination of your account privileges.

Please do not open up additional Etsy accounts for buying or selling while we work with you on this. They will be closed immediately and without notice.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Best,
Bill
Etsy Marketplace Integrity
―――

This message is a private conversation between you and Etsy. Please respect this confidentiality and refrain from distributing this communication without permission from Etsy. If you feel this message was sent to you in error, please delete it and let us know. Thank you.

If you live in North America or South America, this email is sent by Etsy, Inc., 117 Adams Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201, USA; if you live elsewhere, this email is sent by Etsy Ireland UC, a subsidiary of Etsy, Inc., 66/67 Great Strand Street, Dublin 1, D01 RW84, Ireland having company registration number 495696 and VAT registration number IE9777587C. All rights reserved.

Reply Reply to all Forward Print Delete Show original

Add star  Joseph Tousignant Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 1:55 PM
To: Etsy Marketplace Integrity
Reply Reply to all Forward Print Delete Show original

Bill,...I'm not quite sure why you seem to a bullseye out for ME, when
blatant weapon listings CONTINUE to be listed on your site and remain
up at length! (see links below)

The TWO items I put up in NO WAY constitute a weapon, (and have NO
TAGS as such!) and ARE in fact used by many of my customers as
utilitarian tools intended for and as described in the listings.

The very short SPINNING stick IS designed to aid in hand
rehabilitation, and is marketed as such on your site!  The 5'' Palm Cap
Stick IS used by Home Delivery Professionals (Pizza delivery and
similar),  Process Servers as well Acupressure Professionals, and
plain individuals as a Medicinal Pill Crusher to lessen stomach upset.
And as I mention I have used it as a portable meat tenderizer.

SO, please explain,... how in your infinite wisdom you deemed my
listings to be in violation (again with NO tags or reference to being
a weapon!), yet the listings below continue to be active and have been
for some time? This is simply ridiculous!

Also, please send me any contact info for your supervisor, and also
any method of ''appeal'' that I can follow.

regards,
Joseph Tousignant

Links below to CURRENT Etsy listings which ARE described as
''Kubotans'' or Yawara Sticks,....which are known to be self defense
weapons:

inum-kubotan-with-grooves?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=kubotan&ref=sc_gallery_1&plkey=1efb87aaae7c1c4730c3e34752d3be8c895975bb:513374713

Add
star  Etsy Marketplace Integrity Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 11:57 AM
To: Joseph Tousignant
Reply Reply to all Forward Print Delete Show original

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for your response. My name is Sascha from Etsy's Marketplace Integrity Team. My colleague Bill has passed along your email, and I'm happy to assist you further.

Your shop was suspended because you were listing items marketed as self-defense tools. As we explained in our previous outreach, Etsy prohibits the sale of all objects that have been presented in this manner. As such, we can't accommodate these items in our marketplace.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on the listings you included in your email for privacy reason, but we'll be sure to look into your report as soon as possible.

To be clear, all listings in our marketplace are subject to the same set of policies. Regardless of other sellers' conduct, it is still your responsibility to comply with Etsy's Seller Policy, which you agreed to follow when you opened your shop.

You can read more about this responsibility here: https://www.etsy.com/help/article/34776447125

If you would like to have your selling privileges reinstated, you will need to remove these items from your shop. To remove listings from your Etsy shop, please take the following steps:

Sign in to your Etsy account from your desktop or laptop computer.
Follow this link to your inactive listings: http://www.etsy.com/your/listings/inactive
Click the dropdown gear button on the bottom righthand corner of a listing that needs to be removed. (At this time, there isn't an option to bulk delete your listings. You will need to repeat this action for each listing in question.)
Click ''Delete'' on the dropdown menu
After you've removed these listings from your shop, please let me know. If there are no other outstanding issues at that time, I will be happy to reactivate your shop.

I'm sorry we can't accommodate these items, but we wish you the best in finding the right venue for them.

Best,
Sascha
Etsy Marketplace Integrity

―――

On March 27, 2017, Joseph Tousignant wrote:
Reply Reply to all Forward Print Delete Show original

Add star  Joseph Tousignant AttachmentTue, Mar 28, 2017 at 12:34 PM
To: Etsy Marketplace Integrity
Reply Reply to all Forward Print Delete Show original

Sasha,... DID you even LOOK at the two recent listings?  I have
included ALL of the listing details (on just one of the items below)
that Bill deactivated on the ''premise'' of it violating your weapons
policy, including photos used for your convenience and to make it
clear your continued stance is ridiculous.

Please SHOW me where there is ANY reference to a ''self defense'' item,
in either Title, Description, or Tags?  Your response here is just
more of the same ridiculous and arbitrary handling of member's
listings, based solely on whether a seller is targeted or not,...for
whatever reason.

And of COURSE you can't comment on the currently ACTIVE listings I
pointed out, that most definitely ARE self defense items, as all
Kubotans and Yawara Sticks are!  I would not expected any less of such
a fair minded and reasonable group of associates with Etsy!

I will however, be actively searching for any Class Action involving
similar bogus item removals, and in the meantime post to various blogs
the facts of such discriminatory and arbitrary removal of legitimate
products form your site.  It is obvious to me that both Bill and you
are incompetent employees of Etsy, and have no business having
oversight of seller's livelihoods.

very little regard,
Joseph Tousignant

TITLE:  Ti Rod Tactical™ Titanium Hand Injury Rehabilitation Tool Is
Addicting FUN To Spin, So You'll Want To ''Do It'' More! :-)

DESCRIPTION:

*  Durable Aerospace Grade 5 Titanium Construction
*  Spinning Games Make Hand Dexterity Rehabilitation Addictive FUN;
(So You'll Want To Do It MORE :-)
*  ALSO Useful Door Knocker; Acupressure Device; & Medicinal Pill Crushing Tool
*  Relaxation & Meditation Benefits Much Like Chinese Exercise Balls;
(i.e. Baoding Balls)
*  Emergency Yawara Stick Self Defense Tool With ''Fist Lock'' Is Easily
Pocket-able For EDC
*  Addictive FUN To Spin Among Friends & Family In Competitive Challenges!
*  Made In USA With 1 YEAR Money Back Guarantee If Not Delighted!

Spinning this device within your hand will work the fingers & hand
function to increase dexterity lessened from a hand injury.  After
broken bones and /or injured muscles & tendons heal, the hand will
usually stiffen and dexterity & fine motor skills will be reduced.

Mild to sometimes severe pain can be present even after the healing
process, and often it's difficult to get the patient to WANT to get
rehabilitation underway. It should be SO much easier when the rehab
work is FUN to do!

Learning to spin the tool in one hand with a controlled & even spin
is challenging, & quite honestly can be a bit addictive. But in THIS
case that's actually a good thing, as using it often will speed your
recovery!  Very soon ''muscle memory'' kicks in and you can be working
your hand while watching TV, reading, or most any activity not
requiring your full attention.

You don't even NEED to have a hand injury to benefit from use of
this spinning stick, as it is a useful Multi-Use Tool! For instance,
it's great aid to loosen the fingers before Guitar or Ukulele
practice.  I've used mine to crush medications into a water bottle
cap, and add the powder to the water for less stomach upset. Taken
this way, any medication is faster absorbing for even simple OTC pain
medications. I've used mine to relax while watching TV or to pass the
time in waiting rooms.

Additionally, informal competitions can be had by friends and family alike!
(However, it's best to keep away from very young children due to any
possible choking hazard!)

So far my ''personal best'' is 130 spins in ONE Minute. (1 spin = 180
degrees, or ''half'' turn) This is using the ''spin'' style as shown in
photos 2 through 6  I call ''Over the Waterfall'', ...with gravity
working with you.

Additionally, you can spin the stick in a more horizontal manner in
what I call ''Helicopter'' mode, where the spins mimic the main blade
rotation of the helicopter, and works best when getting the wrist
involved in helping the flow of the spin. If the wrist is a bit stiff
this will help to loosen it up.

A third type of spin I use is what I call ''Up the Steps'', where
you're ''Flipping'' the stick upwards and against gravity. This is a bit
of a staggered ''step'', with a brief pause between flips,... much like
climbing a long set of steps. Each ''Spin'' or ''Flip'' type uses
different hand motions, so the hand and wrist get a better overall
workout if all are used.

As time went on I began experimenting with spinning the stick in
the opposite direction,....where the stick is coming ''toward'' you.
It's totally different, but by using the inner fingers you can
actually ''roll'' the stick over and up out near the fingertip edges,
and get some decent speed up as well. It's now my preferred direction!

I discovered the therapeutic benefit when I was experimenting with
some various length prototypes of my other sticks. I had a serious
injury to my left hand decades ago when I was just 12 (a steel pipe
explosion!), wherein the web between my thumb & first finger was
opened up exposing muscle and tendons, and breaking the first finger
at the knuckle joint. I also had lots of shrapnel removed and about 30
stitches to close it all up.

It healed pretty well and the scars are faint now, but there was
lots of scar tissue thickening n the web area, and knuckle stiffness
that hindered such hobbies as playing guitar and ukulele. Using this
stick a lot has loosened up my hand considerably.  Also, one of my