Tue Aug 21 2012 13:26:27

Could eBid's Growth Remind eBay to KISS? (Keep It Simple)

By: Julia Wilkinson

Auction site eBid.net has hit 6 million listings as of June, up 20% from 6 months prior. In today's EcommerceBytes article about the site, Co-Founder Mark Wilkinson (no relation to me) says that this is due to, among other reasons, migrating eBay sellers who are unhappy with eBay's complicated fee structure.

I've been hearing the rising drumbeat of how much more difficult eBay has become to use, particularly to sell on, and wonder how much this factor of simplicity has to do with eBid's growth.  Certainly there have become more and more fees to remember when listing on eBay, and sometimes it's hard to factor them all in when you put something up and come up with a starting bid price that won't actually lose you money. (And let's not even talk about the "loss leaders").

A search of some of the threads on a Seller Update eBay discussion board yields such post titles as "Your making it TOO Complicated for Sellers and Buyers!!!!!!" [sic], "LEAVE IT ALONE. You are making this WAY to complicated for all of us," "Ebay policy and rules will eventually be so complicated that it will scare away many sellers," and let's not forget the cryptic "Can I cuss here?" posted by one frustrated seller who had "6,000 listings with a total of 291,303 variations and up to 72,000 pictures representing 6 years of labor...just been rendered obsolete by the stroke of one 'genius' pen."

How much do you think the "complicated" factor has to do with people leaving eBay or at least diversifying? Do you find an offer like eBid's $49.99 lifetime seller fee attractive? Or would you rather dip your toe in the water with its $1.99 flat-rate seller fee for 7 days?

Or is all this just much ado about nothing..are sellers going to for the most part keep at least some of their eggs in the eBay basket as long as all the eyeballs are also there (sorry; bad visual)?  Will we just accept that our "relationship status" with eBay will always be, "It's Complicated"? Post a comment here!

Could eBid's Growth Remind eBay to KISS? (Keep It Simple)   Could eBid's Growth Remind eBay to KISS? (Keep It Simple)

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Tue Aug 21 14:12:33 2012

I believe eBid could be doing more to help attract sellers.

Lower fee structure aside, sellers would like to know how their sales are trending.

I believe that if eBid were to release regular comparative statistics of sales by category, sellers would be able to see specific growth trends across the site.

Simple sales comparison year vs year by category displayed side by side with statistics showing listing growth would provide sellers with granular detail that might help convince sellers to stick their toes into the eBid waters.

No other site makes this information available on a category basis. As such, I believe this unique approach would attract even more sellers.

by: Digmen1 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 21 14:20:08 2012

But Ric.

And you can hardly say that ebay give detailed sales figures its all percentages and gmv, what about the simple number of sales in each quarter by category?

by: mylifeisgood This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 21 15:33:52 2012

Much ado about nothing. 6 million listings compared to fleabay is a drop in the ocean.

This user has validated their user name. by: baconsdozen

Tue Aug 21 16:29:17 2012

Six million items might not compare to ebays total but millions of the items on ebay are free listings of over priced junk put on more in desperation than anticipation.
I've been on ebid many years and often had bad things to say about it,specially in the early days,but they have rfined the site and I have picked up sales all of which have been far more profitable for me than they would have been on ebay.
I've also on occasion spoken to both founders,they are actually decent guys,not the faceless ebay reps who glory in the name of customer service.
Ebay treats its small sellers with contempt,Ebid treats them like people.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Tue Aug 21 16:54:30 2012

@Digmen1 "What if ebid released listing figures and detailed sales figures and they showed poor growth, would that help ?"

Yes I believe it would.

Listing sales volume side by side with listing counts would give sellers a road map.

Growth or decline - releasing granular sales figures would show the sties strengths as well as weaknesses. Declines in sales coupled with a decline in listing counts can be as valuable as increases. Sellers that see strengths would be more likely to jump in. At the same time categories that show weakness would possibly be viewed by sellers as opportunities if declines in sales match declines in listing volume.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 21 18:03:45 2012

I don't know that redundancies and useless complexity drive sellers away, but I do believe eBay's maze of rules and regulations is a barrier to entry today. I can barely divine the unannounced changes... I don't know what they can screw up next, but you can be sure they will call it an enhancement.

by: DonC This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 21 23:03:38 2012

I opened an eBid store in October 2008. I went with the SELLER+ Lifetime membership deal for about fifty dollars. I have bought and sold a few things and am in the black.

I have made no effort to promote the eBid store and only have a few items listed. I believe if I put a little time and effort into this store my sales would improve.

Generally speaking I would recommend that the readers here try eBid. Listing there is reasonably simple, the price is right and unlike eBay they leave you alone. Here is a link for details: http://http://us.ebid.net/help_money.php

Good luck!

Don

This user has validated their user name. by: Spartacus

Wed Aug 22 00:01:10 2012

That frustrated seller who posted "Can I cuss here?" on eBay forums, err Danny (aka honeville1) is one of the biggest tools on eBay discussion forums beside Black*Max and guy who supposedly sold a part that was on the space shuttle or something.

Many a time when other sellers were posting about poor sales, that tool would post how great eBay is and how great his flea market t-shirts were selling.

Hate to say it but I got a good laugh reading that tool's thread and noticing, not a single regular there was jumping in to defend him except for a couple of Liveworld pinks... I wonder why?

I'm glad I only bother with those forums when I'm in the mood for a laugh anymore. eBay can kiss my butt.

by: tb This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 22 00:08:37 2012

What a cotton pickin' second.... eBid is valued at $6.3 Billion with a "B"? That seems hard to believe. Why no advertising with those thousands of millions of dollars? Spend 1% of your fortune (60.3 million) on advertising for crying out loud and put eBay out of it's misery already!

by: blaumann This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 22 00:52:48 2012

There is one problem with ebid. NO SALES. I have tried...

by: uncle rico This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 22 01:13:42 2012

No sales on eBid, and I really dislike their listing importer. There are so many things wrong with iOffer, but that is one thing they got right - it is very little hassle to import your listings.

by: hush77hush This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 22 06:15:17 2012

Ric there was a site where this data was captured think it was called power sellers unite or something along those lines.
I have been on ebid for over 4 and a half years and i have found it easy to use and have had some great sales on there.
I jumped ship from ebay to ebid once they raised the cost of owning a shop by over 100% a month it made it clear to me that they no longer wanted the small guy or the hobbies lister any more they were more intrested in getting the big retails to list 1000's of items on the site it's a shame that ebay got to greedy as it started out as a site that you could compete with the high street giants and it was made into a house hold name by people selling pez and beenie babys etc.
I think the main problem with ebid against ebay is that all the people get p@ss at ebay jump ship but expect ebid to be a copy of ebay it's not you have to put some work into it.
ebay does all your advertising for you as it is a house hold name where as ebid you have to tell people about it do you own promoting. there are millions of sellers on ebay that have not filled out an about me page to tell your buyer what you are about but it doesn't seem to matter there were as on ebid it is one of the most important things to do,look at it this way your less likley to buy something from someone or some where you know nothing about especially if it is a high ticket amount.
I read the fourm on ebid and from time to time there are newbie jumping on there saying bid is rubbish i am not getting any sales it's not as good as ebay when they have only been there a couple of days and not done a thing to tell anybody where they are selling who they are etc.
as to advertising where would you advertise? it's a worldwide site so would you do TV adverts? would they be in every courty? because the now £49.99 life time fee would then have to rise to cover that cost.ebid do advertise what do you think the above blog is? they advertise on the web mainlly but they give you the tools to advertise yourself you just have to use them.
If you opened a bricks and morter shop on a high street in a town you wouldn't then rant at the council to advertise your buisness would you??

by: scview This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 22 07:53:58 2012

Ebid has poor traffic and poor...very poor sell-through rates.

Their so called free payment plan for life (I did it) is not actually free.

Look into their item listing options before you try them...to actually get your items seen with a picture ,,,, costs more.

They do not advertise.

No sales , ''hidden'' fees for a lifetime membership , and no advertising means no Ebid for me.

Example: I listed a few items of the same type (20) each on Ebid, Playle , Delcampe , Webstore , & Bidstart 14 months ago.

Ebid got no questions asked & no sales.
Playle got 2 sales and several Questions
Webstore got 5 sales
Bidstart sold 16 items out of 20
Delcampe sold 19 items out of 20.

The remaining items are still up on all the sites but playle (It is being redesigned)...still no activity on ebid.

So now I sell on Bidstart, Delcampe, Webstore...in that order.

I still have a presence on Ebid... I am waiting for at least a question.

What site would you sell on?

Huh????

You can not dethrone the reigning online sales leader in collectibles (And No I do not sell there) without going in the ''trenches'' and taking away their support one step/ad at a time.

So I am now a multi platform seller.

I believe that that is the way to go now.

I am reminded of a FARSIDE cartoon I like.

A giant fish (Ebay) is sneaking up and eating a large fish (Yahoo auctions)...meanwhile many smaller fish are sneaking up behind the giant fish to eat it...

My question right now is where are those smaller fish? When will they advertise to eat the giant fish?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Aug 22 08:26:29 2012

I don't want to hear about how many listings a site has.  I want to hear about what their sales are and how successful sellers are on those sites.  There are many of these competitors out there....ioffer, bonanza, ebid, ercater, etc.  Most of them don't advertise. They have lots of listings but few sales.   I would love to see that change.   You can list on those sites until the cows come home but if you want the site to be successful you also have to buy on those sites.

by: hush77hush This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 22 09:06:18 2012

Their so called free payment plan for life (I did it) is not actually free.

It doen's advertise as free it advertise as free to list with a FVF of 2%

all listing can be shown at no extra cost as gallary if you want them to be a feature listing then this will cost more as it will appear at the top of the search

Ebid has poor traffic and poor...very poor sell-through rates.

have you tried to promote the listings??? or have you just dump the stuff on there and left it??
you can drive traffice to your listings by useing the social media tabs on the auction this will drive more trafic to your listing especially if you use the twitter tab these options are there on ebay aswell but ebay being the market lead you don't need to drive as much traffic to them
also have you otped into having listing put on google???

How do you know they want to be the next ebay??
has anyone from any of the above web sites come out and said our aim is to be the next ebay?

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 22 09:39:13 2012

Im not sure why this is even a question....

eBay doesnt care (''the rock says: it doesnt matter what you think!'') about ebid, ioffer or any of the other little fish swimming around.

eBay made it clear a year ago that the people they are interested in are the big anchor stores and manufactorers. Yet we are ''here'' again talking about the fact that one of those little fishes may have done something right - and whether or not it will bother the big fat whale (eBay).

eBays policies (and lets not go through them all and ruin everybodys day) makes it clear - they charge you alot, then dump all the responsibilities on the seller. If you complain, you get to chat with non english weirdos in other countries (I just hang up on them - im not gonna take a frommers course just to chat with an ebay cs agent), and if that doesnt work they push you down in best match as a punnishment. All the while they let insane buyers control your destiny.

Create your own site, do flea markets, do swap meets, create a blog, make a FB page - but dont spend time waiting for ebay to do anything ... they wont.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Aug 22 09:43:19 2012

hush77hush says: "I am perplexed that sites like Ebid , Bonaza , Boocoo , Webstore and the like do little to no Advertising...yet they want to become the next Ebay."

AMEN Hush! I've been thinking this for years.

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Wed Aug 22 12:16:59 2012

I've been listing on ebid since they first started offering their lifetime membership deal (which I did). I have yet to make a single sale. Granted, I don't have a lot of items listed and don't do any of my own promotions, but I get barely any traffic, so I don't put much effort in there right now. It is a nice, clean site that has been gradually improving over the years. I worry, though, about all the alternative sites now that Google is charging for their listings. That's been the only means of getting traffic to those sites, so we'll have to see what happens to them with these changes.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 22 12:28:02 2012

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 22 12:46:38 2012

The real story here is that ebay sellers are leaving ebay. Sales for ebid will grow. We have other players in the mix also. Bonanza, atomicmall, amazon, etsy they are all welcoming ebay refugees and as I and other have been saying ebay is losing those FVF. That loss is no doubt a staggering amount and where is ebay showing this loss to shareholders? Nowhere