Fri July 27 2012 10:06:06

Antiques and Collectibles Survey: What Do You Sell?

By: Julia Wilkinson

It's "Antiques Friday" again at the AuctionByes Blog (hashtag #ABAntiquesFri on Twitter). This Friday we want to find out more about you, and we have a very short (we promise!) survey we'd love for you to take, so we can bring you the antiques and collectibles-related news and information that is most useful to you.

What's the state of the market in your niche?  What do the experts say is selling well? How can you identify certain types of antiques, and what should you be watching out for in terms of fakes and reproductions? These are the types of topics we'll be exploring, among others.

But first, we'd like to hear from you about what you're interested in, and what you sell. Please take a couple of minutes to take our brief survey, so we can learn more about you and serve up the content most useful to you.

Take the survey!

And while you're here, take a moment to introduce yourself on the AuctionBytes Forum.  Who are you, where are you located, what do you sell, and how did the collectibles bug first "bite" you? Or, feel free to post a comment here on the blog!

Antiques & Collectibles Survey: What Do You Sell?   Antiques & Collectibles Survey: What Do You Sell?

by: HarmonyGroveAntiques This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 27 12:50:21 2012

We sell antique and vintage mid-century furniture. Until last year, 100% of that was on eBay but after the lowest fees ever and then the final nail - FVFs on shipping (which is pretty big bucks for us!) we have been really trying alternatives. Bonanza is a waste of time. Very easy to upload from eBay listings but very few buyers other than the ones we shove down their throats on post-eBay auction inquiries. We had a few sales on Ioffer but not enough to call that home (not by a long shot).

Recently, we are really trying to make a go of it on Etsy. In fact, we actually had our first sale there this week. We really like the atmosphere there (not that we get in there to chat with the craftards) - it just reminds us of the eBay of old. We know for a fact, that is never coming back so we are trying to ween ourselves off the eBay nipple. It isn't easy but we are going to give it one heck of a shot.

by: tchdwn This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 29 15:23:10 2012

I sell books, cds and dvds plus a few toys, videogames and traditional games. I move about 1,000 items per year and do so almost exclusively on Amazon.com.

It surprises me that the secondary market for

This user has validated their user name. by: elpereles

Sun Jul 29 23:55:17 2012

I'm just a collector of non-sport card selling my duplicates/extra cards as a ''part time'' seller.

''What do the experts say is selling well?''

For now there is a fanatic ''boom'' for sketch cards, but I'm not interesting in it.

''...what should you be watching out for in terms of fakes and reproductions?''

Right now. The signature cards are the most easy to fake because some of the trading card companies when they go broke sold everything or some people with personal printers manage to copy the cards.

by: stampman.cowell This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 30 05:54:57 2012

I sell stamps, postal history & postcards for myself & for friends. the market on Ebay is excellent for better & unusual material with customers from all over the World but you have to cost in the high fees to be sure of coming out on the right side!. European material sells better on Delcampe as a rule & Delcampe is more freindly to deal with. I cannot understand why Ebay sellers are not allowed give bad feedback to the small number of really difficult & sometimes dishonest buyers. Not a level playing field!
Certain countries need to get their postal services better organised, I have lost quite a few valuable items going to the USA, & Italy is another problem area. Claiming for lost packets is a nightmare!

by: dmg61 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 30 08:27:56 2012

I sell old records ('20s-'60s) and old music CDs under one business name, and some vintage jewelry.

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Mon Jul 30 09:51:15 2012

The odd niche of transportation collectibles, post cards and  whatever the odd tag sale turns up.

Managed to survive full time for 9 years. Emphasis on survive.

This user has validated their user name. by: juliawww

Wed Aug 1 11:07:59 2012

Harmony, you sold a furniture item on Etsy? Very cool..I did not know that kind of stuff could be sold on there.  Did it have a handpainted or other handcrafted touch..just wondering? I will look for your Etsy store.

by: tchdwn This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 1 18:09:16 2012

Some of my previous message got cut off so I’m re-posting:

I keep thinking that at some point the bottom is going to drop out of the used media market, but that's not yet been the case for me.  While it’s true that, for example, I sell many more $6 CDs/DVDs than $20 ones, there are still buyers out there willing to pay for the physical discs rather than purchasing the downloads.

The books I sell are often very specialized and unavailable as downloads.  Recent and classic textbooks continue to sell well as does small press non-fiction.  I also just sold a 2005 ex-libris Encyclopedia Britannica set, so I’m constantly surprised at what people will buy.

As a relatively small-time seller I find that my biggest problem is finding a steady stream of inventory.  I do some consignment work now and hope to expand this in the future so that inventory becomes less of a problem and I can focus on listing items and getting them out the door.