Mon July 16 2012 13:10:06

eBay's New 'Like Want Own' Buttons: Good or Bad for Sales?

By: Julia Wilkinson

Some people browsing eBay's Clothing, Shoes & Accessories categories around the middle of last week started noticing that three new buttons appeared under some items' titles. Called "Like," "Want," and "Own," they at first appear to be the fruition of news announced last fall at the eBay developers' conference. However, as reported by insidefacebook and ZDNet's blog, the eBay/Facebook "Open Graph" partnership would lead to just "Want" and "Own"  buttons integrated into eBay’s ecommerce platforms X.commerce, Magento and GSI. It did not seem clear at that time exactly how these buttons would ultimately show up on the eBay marketplace.

eBayers viewing the actual buttons on eBay listing pages, however, including a "Like" button so well-known to Facebook users (though this one sports a "smiley face" instead of the Facebook "thumbs up") seemed bemused. And clicking the buttons does not immediately take one to Facebook, but there is a drop-down option to "Share with friends" on that massive social network.

"What is with the new buttons at the top of some listings that say LIKE  WANT  OWN???" queried one user on a discussion board. "I am scared to click on them in case I end out buying."

However, clicking directly on the "Like" button simply adds it to an eBay "Your favorites" area, including "Things I like," "Things I want," and "Things I own."

Some sellers posting on the boards did not see the harm in the buttons, but did not seem enthused about them either: "It's not that its hurting things, it's that there just might be WAY more important information that takes an act of Congress to find, like 'contact a seller.' Or important stuff like that," wrote one.

Another was not amused in the least: "Oh my goodness, the last thing I want to do is share my likes on FB or tell everybody what I 'own.' Geeze! And I also do not see how to get to my favorites list.  And why would I want another list to monitor anyway." This eBayer said they were happy with their "watch list and my saved searches...That gives me all I need to look for items I seek."

But then, they said, "I'm not a member of the FB generation.  I don't get the whole 'post my life on a wall' thing. Just call me old. "

What do you think? Can these new buttons be good for sales? Or bad, with adding more clutter and possibly confusing buyers? Or neither? And did you even notice them? Post a comment here!

eBay's New 'Like Want Own' Buttons: Good or Bad for Sales?   eBay's New 'Like Want Own' Buttons: Good or Bad for Sales?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Mon Jul 16 13:40:23 2012

Johnna Hoff stated: "....eBay would give sellers appropriate notice, as was its practice, ...."

This constitutes yet another unannounced change to seller listings imposed by eBay without out any notice to sellers.

What is it with eBay. They insert things onto seller listing pages, and everything is some big deep and dark secret. They do not announce the new features, They do not inform buyers as to what the new features do, they do not inform sellers as to what impact if any the new features will have on their listings... everything is kept as some deep dark secret despite promises of "appropriate notice".

eBay's has perpetrated a series of changes lately, and has not made a single announcement in advance. The list includes: shipping process no longer available through PayPal for eBay transactions, revised shipping label formats, insertion of average selling price displays on seller listings, and these new buttons.

Memo to Johnna Hoff, your statement is consistently subverted by eBay. Your credibility as an eBay spokesperson and eBay's credibility with its sellers is destroyed with each unannounced change.

eBay demands perfection from their sellers or they face account restrictions, yet when it comes to honoring their own promises to sellers, the company fails miserably on a consistent basis.

Comment from Ms Hoff would be appreciated.

by: mylifeisgood This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 16 13:57:26 2012

Now I know why I haven't bought anything on Fleabay in the last two years....

Idiots running amok....

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Mon Jul 16 15:10:31 2012

Why just fashion category, I wonder?

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 16 16:09:41 2012

Ina

Those 3 buttons have been in all my categories in electronics for the last few days.

They dont really ''do'' anything - so I didnt bother emailing (that and I was away from the office).

As long as it doesnt take a buyer away from MY PAGE (LMAO) its fine. If it becomes a vehicle to take a customer to another page from ''one of thier boys'' ... thats when the lawyers letter goes out (and yes I have one that LOVES class action lawsuits).

by: Donna This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 16 16:54:18 2012

Late last week they were in all of my listings too irregardless of category. Now they don't seem to be in any (I sell mostly collectibles).

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Mon Jul 16 17:05:18 2012

Ugh. Totally useless. What's next? A "tag-cloud" graphic?

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 16 23:44:09 2012

Another useless gimmick.

This user has validated their user name. by: basset

Tue Jul 17 14:38:06 2012

Maybe we can play with them - you know, go through radical, racy & edgy listings & mark that we own this & that. Then someone can profile us! Or we can profile each other. Surely this information will be accumulated somewhere to be used against us!

Hmmmm.... do they still have shrunken heads somewhere. I'm sure I own one of those.....

I'm sure none of us have a life, so we can spend our time on eBay to see who owns what and who likes what!

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue Jul 17 18:33:50 2012

It all reeks of the desperation of a drowning person coming up for that final gasp of air ...

If you want some real funny reading see Scott Wingo's piece on seekingalpha.com at

eview#comment-7481401

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking

by: Ron This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 17 19:42:00 2012

@Philip

I went and had a look at Scott Wingo's commentary.

I just don't understand where this "growth" is coming from.  It's completely counter to my own experience with eBay.  In addition, every time that I do research there, prices and/or sell-thru seems to be getting worse, at least in the categories that I look at.

As far as the "like" button goes, it's just getting more and more convoluted on eBay.  I listed every week on eBay for 13 years.  I haven't listed anything now for 2 months and I must say that I don't miss it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue Jul 17 19:50:51 2012

@Ron,

I could not agree more ...

And what about the eDropOff shill bidding matter; there is some fun to be had a eBay's expense there ...

“Shill Bidding Fraud on eBay: Case Study #5”
?p=167554

Should be well worth keeping track of, this demonstration of the desperate eBay's deviousness ...

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking

by: Mimi This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 18 00:27:13 2012

Does eBay want to be Amazon or Facebook???
If they'd go back to the back in the day eBay, things would be better for buyers AND sellers. I haven't sold in almost 5 years and wouldn't even know where to start! (Not that I want to)!

by: ecommerce4me This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 18 09:40:12 2012

It's no different from Amazon's Wish List feature "Add to my Wish List" button. It gives the bots some data they can use. More mimicking of Amazon's ideas. Nothing new or very useful.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Jul 18 11:44:45 2012

Ron, Scot Wingo is eBay's biggest cheerleader.  He likes eBay because Donahoe's vision fits perfectly with ChannelAdvisors business model.  I stopped putting any faith in what Wingo has to say a long time ago. He has the same bias against small sellers that Donahoe has.

by: Gypsy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 18 12:36:57 2012

The first time these tags came up, I thought: "They've got to be kidding!" No advance notice, nothing at all.  I'll stick with my own lists, thanks.

by: Beth This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 20 08:37:40 2012

Am I really going to set myself up for a Home Invasion or Burglary by clicking OWN?? not!!

BUTT out eBay

by: elancep This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 23 13:15:41 2012

Another attempt to copycat amazon and get on the social networking bandwagon. I think buyers and sellers would really prefer a simpler approach at this point. eBay's core buyers will always be bargain hunters it's what made them and the auction format popular. Yet eBay keeps catering to the big BIN stores and promoting name brand fashion and tech items.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 29 19:28:52 2012

Yet another gimmick to take potential buyers off of our items.
I have had 2 sales in the last 8 days, TRS; etc.
Buyers get to the site now and cannot find what they want- they are buried in phone chargers and cheap seat covers and USELESS BUTTONS.
Donahoe has destroyed us.
They are desperate, how will they meet and beat this 1/4.
Hold on as something bad is on the horizon.
How can we go from $1500 a week to under $100?
How can we pay these fees with NO $?
How long can this go on?
I am sending out resume's as I have had ENUF!
John Donahoe, Joaan Hoff and all the others at fleabay are LIARS and THIEVES.
Pray for me folks- that I get a JOB, I will work my A*s off and I will never ever do any kind of business with these thieves again!
Their time will come, I will be back on a regular job and I will watch and LAUGH.
Ebay cannot even get addresses and payments right, except the bill- LOL tey will be a GUARANTEED DISASTER with ''Fulfillment''. I wonder how it feels to JD to have cheap plastic trinkets, phone covers, seat covers and cheap cords overflowing in his ''warehouses''. Is this better than our 1 of a kind rare items that would cause buyers to BROWSE FOR HOURS JD?
Is this better than a flea market?
Flea markets are FUN JD- we all see the occasional bad ''flea market'' that isn't really a flea market but a bunch of cheap sellers selling TUBE SOCKS- THAT is what your ebay is now.
Duplicate listings DOMINATE the site- how many folks have seen the car parts- JUNK with each and every make and model of car GLUTTING UP the category?
Wasn't there some rule about that JD?
heaven forbid that you should need a headlamp bulb- you will be trapped in the TWILIGHT ZONE and you may not be able to find your way out- TRAPPED in bulb land.
And jewelry- the poor US sellers with those China silverplate ads EVERYWHERE.
Ebay when you write a policy you raelly should enforce it.
Or the reports of items like paper clips- single clips for sale for FB- WOW.
I spend rime reporting keyword spamming in titles the same items over and over again but I cannot remember 1 item EVER being taken down- is this your idea of cleaning up the site JD.
It is SO RIDICULOUS that everybody knows your TALK of cleaning up the site is LIES.
Is this what you had in mind JD?
Please god help me find a job.
BUYERS and sellers are FED up and are feeling the same way- they are AVOIDING EBAY LIKE THE PLAGUE so our sales have been DESTROYED.
I thought it was that a company has to act in the best interest of sellers or THEY are breaking the user agreement- right?
''Just a venue'' my ARSE.
I want my life back.
Mass Howler
(for the 1st time ever had to pay my bill with a credit card today, not again).

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 29 20:30:44 2012

SO CLUELESS- the items just for ''me'' email that they send me are things that I would never search for- how do these clowns pick these items to send me??
What will they send me if I use those buttons- reject bras (i am a man), pogo sticks, scrapbooking supplies and windshield sun screens (i searched solar panels 3 years ago and I still get these).
My wife dosen't believe me about the bras and I have told them thier mistake has caused me trouble but the BRAS continue.
I have never even visited the adult section- god KNOWS what they would show me if I did.
Buttons, scrolling ads and banners and NO BUYERS.
Mass Howler