Fri July 13 2012 11:50:55

Can a Vacation Actually Boost Your eBay Sales?

By: Julia Wilkinson

It's summer, a time not only known among eBay sellers for a sales slump, but also a time they worry about losing sales while they are on vacation. But what if taking a vacation was actually good for your sales? Some sellers think it is, if you plan correctly. How so? To wit:

- Revising Your eBay Store Listings Can Bump up Your Listings

The conventional wisdom is that any revision to your eBay listings, especially those stale Store listings that haven't budged for weeks (or months), will help bump them up in search engines. And while you're at it putting your eBay Store on vacation, consider adding in new words to your titles, or even tweaking the descriptions; this can give your listings a boost as well.

- Set Your eBay Store to "Display Vacation Message" but Keep Your Listings Available

You can either make your listings unavailable, or keep them available with a "The seller of this item is away until.." message. If I am only taking a short vacation, I always choose to keep the Store listings active and display the message. This means the buyers can still buy; they just know to expect a slight delay in shipping. (Of course, if you have TRS status and want to keep it with the 1-day turnaround that's required, you may not want to do this). Do try to check in with your email regularly while you are away, however, and reassure buyers they'll get the item asap after you get back.

What if you don't have an eBay Store? You can still create auctions beforehand and schedule them to start one week before you return, or fewer days ahead than that if you want a breather when you get back. ("Queen of Auctions" Lynn Dralle has a good piece about eBay's vacation settings here).

- The Desire to Have What You Can't

It may seem counterintuitive, but I have found my sales actually spike during some of my vacations. I don't know exactly why this is, but my theory is sellers see I'm away, they can't have the item right away, and it makes the item seem that much more unattainable and desirable. This is, of course, an unproven theory. ;) But this is what I've experienced.

- Amazon Sellers Can Use FBA

What about Amazon sellers? Well, if you are taking a trip of more than a day or two, you really need to make your listings unavailable under Amazon's Listings Status settings. But, if you use Fulfillment by Amazon, of course, all those listings will be available while you are away! Someone else can be packing and shipping that textbook while you dig your toes into the sand.

What have been your experiences with sales while you are on vacation? Have you ever seen sales actually go up? What tips would you give to other sellers about it? Post a comment here!

Can a Vacation Actually Boost Your eBay Sales?   Can a Vacation Actually Boost Your eBay Sales?

This user has validated their user name. by: basset

Mon Jul 16 08:59:27 2012

Vacation? What is a vacation????

by: JoyfulA This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 16 10:14:34 2012

A "vacation" is when you go into the hospital for surgery.

And oddly, my sales on Amazon boomed when I came back from "vacation" and I was not in a condition to do much of anything.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Jul 16 10:23:17 2012

I'm with "basset". The last time I actually took any time off from a job or selling online was 1994.

by: Gypsy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 16 16:37:11 2012

We took a short vacation for the first time in years. We also took our laptop along. I put my store on vacation and actually had several sales while on vacation. So far, only one item hasn't been paid for and the buyer has one day remaining before I send out a 2nd invoice.

by: JordanMalik.com This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 18 17:23:01 2012

I am an Amazon FBA merchant and I just wrote about how easy it is to actually sell stuff while on vacation: http://goo.gl/pP67T

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 22 17:59:46 2012

"Set Your eBay Store to "Display Vacation Message" but Keep Your Listings Available"

this was a plan that worked great for me.  i would put a banner in my listings and keep good communication with buyers and never had an unhappy buyer.  of course now ebay's TRS requirements have broken that.

i have another theory about sales boosts and that is that it forces a re-index, both when you start and end the vacation, on your listings which bumps them up.