Wed June 27 2012 12:24:21

Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?

By: Julia Wilkinson

A Wall Street analyst's recent "field trip" to Home Depot to check out the new PayPal Store Checkout experience left him underwhelmed about the value consumers would see in paying at a bricks & mortar store this way.

In the field trip, analyst Citi's Mark Mahaney said he found few shoppers using, or even aware of, the offering. One one seller discussion board, eBay sellers wondered what the "value add" of using this checkout system would be, vs. simply using their PayPal debit card or other debit card where they might get a percentage of cash back.

Another worry is that consumers would find inputting 18 numbers (10 digits for the telephone number followed by up to 8 numbers for the PIN) to be tedious, and some sellers said they'd sooner use their smartphone to pay.  (Another way to pay with PayPal Store checkout is with the PayPal payment card, a store-only spending card linked directly to their PayPal account).

Another seller thought it could only be good for PayPal, raising awareness of the brand name, and possibly gaining some extra revenue based on sales paid for this way.

One thing I didn't know was that before you can use PayPal at The Home Depot stores, you must activate "Store Checkout" in your PayPal account. There's no charge for using it, and it's available to anyone with a Personal or Premier PayPal account.

Would you use this PayPal Store checkout in a Home Depot, or would you sooner use your PayPal debit card, credit card, or smartphone? Were you aware of the back-end registration you need to do on the PayPal site to use this in-store payment service? Post a comment here!

Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?   Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?

by: Kelly This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 27 12:38:46 2012

Could I do a chargeback and get refunded without so much as a question or having to return the goods to the store? Just like the awesome eBay service they provide to buyers?

Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?   Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Wed Jun 27 13:32:54 2012

Nope. I use my rewards credit cards to pay for everything, so I can build up reward points or cash back.

Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?   Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed Jun 27 15:32:01 2012

Not unless PreyPal used the same policies as they do for ebafia sellers when buyers file claims.

That way I could remodel my home free.

As a brick and mortar store, no PreyPal under any circumstances ever.

That company has poorly trained employees, nazi like policies, inconsistent interpretation of those policies, and provide virtually no protection for ebafia merchants.

Buy something tells me PreyPal probably has double secret special policies for the Home Depots of the world.

Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?   Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?

by: Digmen1 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 27 15:46:43 2012

Have Paypal said what the advantage is for using Paypal over a credit card or a debit card at a retail store ?
Here in NZ just about everyone uses direct debits from our bank account at retail stores (unless you are lucky enough to have a credit card)

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Wed Jun 27 15:49:59 2012

Considering all the clunky steps and procedures... wouldn't it be easier (and more convenient) to pay for your Home Depot items with a shoebox filled with rolled coins?

Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?   Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?

This user has validated their user name. by: juliawww

Wed Jun 27 16:17:13 2012

LOL, Annie!

Digmen, I agree..they could do a better job (or a job?) of explaining the benefits of using it to check out. Didn't know you were in New Zealand! Do people really not use credit cards a lot there and why?

Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?   Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?

by: 16mmfilmseller This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 27 16:35:59 2012

I can't imagine why anyone would do that -- if you want to pay from your bank account, use your debit card, and if you want to pay with a credit card, pay with a credit card (which is what I do for everything to get cash back)... Where's the value add for the customer??

Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?   Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Wed Jun 27 17:21:45 2012

Perhaps if eBay were to afford their sellers more consideration I would be willing to reward them with non business transactions. Given that eBay corporation does not go out of it's way to accommodate sellers, I see no advantage to giving them additional revenue by using PayPal for everyday purchases.

Our Paypal accounts (regular and micro payments) are for online business purchases and receiving payments only. If offline purchases are not related to our business, we would not use PayPal.

Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?   Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?

by: Digmen1 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 27 17:36:01 2012

@Julieww

I can't say what the percentage is.
But a very high percentage of retail bricks and mortar sales are done by direct bank transfer via what we called ETFPOS.
But I think that more well off people use credit cards due to the fact that have a higher income and therefore can have a credit card, and they may get incentives such as airpoints.
On Trademe our equivalent of ebay all payments MUST be made by direct bank transfer via the internet.

Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?   Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Thu Jun 28 01:52:46 2012

If I was going to use PayPal I would use the debit card since I get 1.5% cash back from PayPal. Why would I use the account and go through the clunky procedure.
Whoever came up with this idea at PayPal is a bloomin' idiot.

Bill

Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?   Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?

by: used2luv2sell This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 28 02:36:30 2012

Bill - Perhaps the person at Paypal who thought up the idea is a bloomin' idiot.

However, I was thinking that the person at Home Depot who decided to accept Paypal was the bloomin' idiot!

I have a feeling we are both correct.

I told the cashier at Home Depot that I am tempted not to shop there anymore because I hate Paypal so much I don't want to do business with anyone in cahoots with them.

Lowes is 3 more blocks down the road.  No problem.

Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?   Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?

by: wallflower This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 28 09:11:16 2012

What Ric said!!!

Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?   Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?

by: gla This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 29 00:14:27 2012

NEVER!!

Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?   Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?

by: tb This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 29 00:18:19 2012

Anyone want to take bets on when Home Depot STOPS taking PayPal? I give it until the end of August and it'll be history.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Fri Jun 29 01:21:45 2012

I think Citi's Mark Mahaney has given it the thumbs down, and rightly so ...

We don't have to go though all the reasons why this unscrupulous operator has little future outside of the eBay Marketplace, online or otherwise, do we?

And from an observer of the clunky PreyPal on eBay’s own forums:

“I just ordered an item [online] from Buy.com. When I completed the “fill in the blanks” stuff, I had a choice of payment. There was the usual charge card form and then three offerings with logos:

Pay by Visa V.me
Pay by Google Checkout
Pay by PayPal

“Funny, isn't it, which one was last. I thought there was some kind of arrangement between eBay and buy.com, a platinum-like anchor store on eBay.”

Even funnier is which one Buy put at the top of the list; major online retailers apparently are smart enough to distinguish the wheat from the chaff, after all. But, the real question is, now that Visa’s online digital wallet, V.me, is available (MasterCard’s offering still on the way), how much longer will that PreyPal logo continue to appear at all? Any one want to take bets on a time frame?

And as for PreyPal at physical point-of-sale, starting at Home Depot—LOL.

Goodbye clunky PreyPal, it has not been nice knowing you …

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking

Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?   Would You Use PayPal's Store Checkout?

by: KEEPING A CLOSE EYE ON THEM ALL! This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 29 09:52:53 2012