Fri June 8 2012 12:38:34

What Item Did You Pass Up That You Most Regret?

By: Julia Wilkinson

We all have that *ONE* thing that we passed up at a yard sale, estate sale, auction or flea market that in retrospect, we really wish we had bought. What is yours?

I'll share my story. Well, this is really only my most recent story about what I passed up, because I know there are others. When those big boo-boos happen, I try to keep in mind what I read in one book about "picking": think of those mistakes as an "investment in your education." Still, those "coulda-beens" can really grate on us.

Recently I was at an estate sale, I'd say of medium quality, and I was there in the morning but not at the very opening. When I got to the rec room downstairs, I noticed stacks and stacks of records on the carpeted floor. (That's "records," as in albums, or vinyl...those of you born after 1990 may not be able to relate!).

I leafed through them and noticed that many of them were still new-in-shrinkwrap, and there were several Herb Alperts that I knew from a quick check on my iPhone would resell pretty well. And, there were a lot of classical albums, too...I could tell it was a really nice collection, but there were really too many to sit there and look them up individually. There was no price on any of the albums. However, if the price was right they would probably be worth buying in bulk.

At this point, I had already gone through checkout once, and was on my second pass-through of the house...the first time I didn't really think much about the albums. But the line was long right then, and I was really hungry and needed to go to the restroom. I decided to go home, eat, and then come back right away, when I could pick through them more methodically. Well, I got back about 45 minutes later, and went down to start leafing through them again. "These are all sold," I suddenly heard. It was the estate sale company owner slapping a "sold" sign on each stack.

"Yep; he got them all for a dollar each," he continued in a satisfied voice. My heart sank and anger boiled in my veins. Why didn't I just ask about a bulk price when I got the chance? Now this guy was going to get the fun of going through all of them one-by-one and seeing which ones were going to sell for big bucks.

Ah, well. Maybe next time? What's your story? Do you have a "one that got away"? Or more than one? Post a comment here!

What Item Did You Pass Up That You Most Regret?   What Item Did You Pass Up That You Most Regret?

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Sat Jun 9 19:31:51 2012

I once turned down an offer of three large boxes of comics, simply because I had no place to put them. At the time, I wasn't eBaying and knew nothing about comics. Later, when I started selling online and discovered how much old comics could be worth, I kicked myself all the way down the street for not taking them. It's funny, too, because I remember I was proud of myself at the time for not adding to my existing stuff. Some friends had poked fun at my packrat tendencies and I was determined not to accumulate any more "stuff". Now I know better and just go with the packrat instinct.

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Sun Jun 10 18:18:24 2012

Yeah!

But what is worse - having read & discarded all of those Marvel 1st editions of the Fantastic 4, Dr Strange, Silver Surfer etc in 1967-68 AND Mickey Mantle baseball cards in the 1950s (clip them to the spokes of your Schwinn) - or missing them in a tag sale?

At least, if you had handled them, you've been there.

We are getting into philosophy here.

Besides, most of the comics nowdays are dreck.

by: blaumann This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 11 04:58:43 2012

Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most.
Merchandise comes and goes. When I moved, the movers stole tons of great merchandise. It bothered me, I have survived.

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Mon Jun 11 08:53:05 2012

@Al G: The most painful thing was when my younger brother accidentally ran a 1950's Ted Williams baseball card through the wash. He had left in in his pants pocket (a bad place for it to begin with). My dad was not happy with him, LOL!.

by: blarney_stone This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 11 09:33:18 2012

There was a sale where they were selling off props used in TV Shows and Movies. The productions rented these items. That rental business was closing and selling off ALL of it's stock. I bought a LOT!! There was a huge pile of green Fire King... Yeah... Jadeite. It was priced as a group... I just cannot believe I let my husband talk me into "coming back tomorrow" for 1/2 price..... We got there as the lady was packing the last few pieces into her boxes... It was at the height of the Fire King/Jadeite Craze.... Grrrr

This user has validated their user name. by: David Steiner

Mon Jun 11 12:12:16 2012

This is the 'miss' that still grinds at me...

About 10 years ago, I went to an estate sale that a friend was running. He was knowledgeable about most of the items, but there was a Coca-Cola vending maching (Cavalier C-72) in great shape standing in the garage, and he told me he really had no idea how to price it, so he offered it to me for $1,000 (and intimated he would take less).

As timing would have it, we were renovating our house, and had no room to store it, so I called a friend who collected Coca-Cola memorabilia. They came down and immediately bought it. It sold the next week on eBay for $5,000. Sad epilogue to the story is that the machine fell over in the truck en route to the buyer, and suffered extensive damage.

It wasn't so much missing out on four grand in profit, but I love those old Coke machines, and haven't come close to finding one at that price. Now I have a spot to put it...