Wed Mar 14 2012 13:00:11

eBay's New iPhone App 2.5.0: What Would You Like to See?

By: Julia Wilkinson

eBay recently announced they were coming out with a new version of their iPhone app, which will be the version 2.5.0 of its core app for iPhone. The only details on this new version seem to be that it will  "now deliver the ability to calculate shipping, research pricing trends and make sales from virtually anywhere," as well as offering improved image quality, push notifications on bids and Twitter integration, per the company's recent press release.

It got me thinking about how we use eBay's current iPhone app (and how those of you with cell phones other than iPhone use your eBay apps). I asked some sellers I know what they'd like to see in a new, improved app; and how they most use the app now, and got these responses:

- One seller says she mainly uses the app to buy, "and I love it!"  She would like to see the option to leave feedback via the app. "Also when I click on an eBay link on the web or in an email, I want the option to open that page in the app rather than in the mobile version of the site (which I hate using). Another app that I use offers this as an option, when I click on a link I have the choice of it opening in their app or on their site and I love it!"

- Several sellers said they used the iPhone app mainly to research completed listings prices when they were out in the field.  But some were confused as to how to do this. One seller said she sets the defaults in her search so that whenever she opens the app to search, it automatically chooses those options. "My defaults are completed listings and highest priced first, because I also like to see how many were listed and did not sell." Could this be something eBay could make easier to do on a future version of their app?

Not many sellers said they used the eBay iPhone app to actually list items. This may be sure to limitations with the iPhone's camera, or how it's not as easy to type descriptions using the "two-thumb" or other improvised typing method iPhone users employ.

What do you use eBay's iPhone (or other smartphone app) for, mainly? And what would you like to see in future versions of the app? What do you think eBay could do to make the iPhone app better for selling -- rather than buying or researching -- or is that not something on which you think they should focus?

eBay's New iPhone App 2.5.0: What Would You Like to See?   eBay's New iPhone App 2.5.0: What Would You Like to See?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Wed Mar 14 17:10:17 2012

I'd like to see it get a review of 1 star out of 5.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Wed Mar 14 17:51:28 2012

I think I'd like to have the option to be able to click a box and OPT-OUT of having my listings being displayed to any iPhone shopper.

Yes, you read that right. I'd choose NOT to have a particular variety of online shopper.

Generally speaking, the iPhone shoppers are more likely to NOT ask questions and NOT read the listing. They see a picture, they tap-it and buy it.

If I have a post-sale/pre-ship question for the smartphone shopper... they're nowhere to be found. Not by email, not by eBay-mail.

It's almost always the same. Frankly, for the low-value items that I sell, these customers end up being more trouble than they are worth.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Wed Mar 14 18:47:44 2012

Ah, Annie/Mollie, You hit the nail right on the head. Donahoe's preferred buyers don't want to ask questions. All they want to see is that beautiful studio photograph of that brand new made-in-China product so that they can hit the "Buy It Now" button, and have it delivered to their home before they get home that night. This is the new eBay, apparently.

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking

This user has validated their user name. by: TheCheapSkirt

Fri Mar 16 01:36:21 2012

In all fairness to eBay buyers using the iPhone app, eBay's listings as displayed in the iPhone app (and eBay mobile) are poorly formatted and usually missing images and often parts of the description as well.

Can hardly blame them for "not reading" something eBay chose not to display to them in the first place.

This user has validated their user name. by: TheCheapSkirt

Fri Mar 16 01:45:58 2012

Now that Alexa is showing stats that people spend more time online via mobile devices than via desktop computers, it would silly to alienate mobile users like eBay has done with it's current shoddy app and mobile site.

I was at a baseball game last summer with friends and we decided to see the team play on the road as well. While we were still in our seats we booked a flight, a hotel, rented a car and bought tickets to the game.

Like it or not, that is the way the future is going. Catch up or be left behind.

(By the way, I posted this from my phone. In fact, I don't think I've ever visited this site from my desktop, as I get here via the email updates and I always check my email on my phone.)

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Fri Mar 16 18:38:24 2012

Oh, and Donahoe's preferred sellers don't want to be asked questions either, apparently.

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking