Thu Mar 8 2012 17:49:53

How Will the New iPad 3 Help Your Selling?

By: Julia Wilkinson

It's that time of year again, when all owners of the latest and greatest Apple products get to feel obsolete...Apple has unveiled its latest iPad! Interestingly, this iPad is not technically called the "iPad 3," as one might expect --what with the last one that came out being called the iPad 2.

So what's in it for you with this "New iPad" as an online seller? First off, the display of the new device is being highly touted, so it has a gorgeous, sharp screen with a 2,048 x 1,536 pixels "Retina" display - the highest resolution display on any mobile device, according to Apple. But when it comes to visuals, what I am concerned with as an online seller is the device's cameras -- how nice are the photos they take and are they sharp and easy enough to use in my listings?

The New iPad boasts upgraded front- and rear-facing cameras, including a 5-megapixel camera that includes auto-exposure and auto-focus. This is good news for sellers who use, or want to use, the iPad to take photos which they can then integrate easily into their listings, without having to download them off a separate camera or other device. To be honest, I do not use my iPad 2 much to create my eBay listings,
simply because of this weakness in this part of the device...its rear camera just didn't get close-ups good enough for me to use for my purposes.

Will the New iPad be able to take photographs as clear as those I can get from my trusty Canon camera with its "digital macro" setting, essential for taking close-ups of hallmarks, inscriptions, and other small details on items? With the 5-megapixel camera with auto-correct features, it sounds like it will, but I will need to see it in action to believe it. (The Canon PowerShot digital camera I currently use is 8.0 megapixels).

Another good thing about the iPad's camera is it will feature "backside illumination," which "allows you to take great photos in low-light conditions," and a new "video image stabilization feature removes the bumps and shakes typically seen when filming with a hand-held device," according to Apple. This should be very helpful for taking better pictures in general, and video.

So this "New iPad" may be the ticket when it comes to finally being able to create your listings all with one device, and not juggling cameras and USB devices. And its video is better, too: it can record 1080p HD video, so if you're the sort of person who uses videos to sell, such as from your web site, inserted into your eBay listing, or even promotional clips on YouTube, this upgraded feature will make you and your products look better.

What about the speed? The New iPad will feature 4G speeds, including 4G LTE on  New iPads with AT&T and Verizon as network carriers. This will be helpful to online sellers in terms of both quickly creating listings and also sourcing out in the field, if they use their iPads to look up prices on items, for example.

However, although I own an iPad 2, I have never taken it out in the field to look up prices. This is because I am usually holding an item in one hand while looking up prices and holding the phone in the other hand, and the small iPhone that you can easily hold in one hand is ideal for this. This does not mean other sellers will not use the New iPad (or an older iPad) to source; it will simply be a bit more ungainly. However, if you're sitting at a desk while doing this sourcing, it won't be an issue.

One thing that hasn't changed with the New iPad is its relative priciness: the New iPad is still not cheap: price points are $499/$599/$699 for Wi-Fi models and $629/$729/$829 for 4G LTE models, with capacities at 16 GB, 32 GB, and 64 GB.

Do you plan to get the New iPad, and how do you think its new features will best help you in your online selling if so? If you own an iPad already, what selling tasks do you use it for? And will you upgrade to the New iPad if you have an older model now, or wait? Post a comment here!

How Will the New iPad 3 Help Your Selling?   How Will the New iPad 3 Help Your Selling?

by: DrStrangegoods This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 8 19:33:33 2012

As a self employed small business person I find it hard (impossible) to justify an expense of ''$499/$599/$699'' when I already have a functional camera, phone with internet access, and working desktop computer which meet my needs.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Fri Mar 9 02:05:16 2012

I agree with the DR. an Ipad is a useless waste of money. I have a Droid phone, PC's and a very good camera. I have no use at all for any of the fancy junk that Apple makes although I do own the stock because there are a lot of people that love Apple and they just keep the stock moving up.

Bill

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Fri Mar 9 09:17:34 2012

My question is "why haul around all that stuff"?

You should be using your portable cranium computer for instant decisions. If need be, take 5 minutes to dial-in your phone & try to find a reference to whatever you are looking for.

During that period, the other 5 "pickers" will have targeted a few other finds.

Whenever I went tag-sailing for merchandise, the mantra is/was, get in early, get in quick, get it & get out.

Who can afford to spend 5-10 minutes per item unless the profit and actual $$ is 100% or higher.

Gotta love it, I once saw a whole collection of ceramic birds being piecemeal-ed out, made a quick calculation and an order and in 5 minutes got 'em all.

Sorry, just a poor Luddite here.

As far as using the iPad as a camera? Now you got a tablet you have to maneuver, larger surface to reflect the image on viewing (when taking the image, that is) - and you still have to fiddle with the photo anyway.

I'll take my Canon PowerShot images, stick the SD card into my desktop, fire-up the photo editor, do what I need to do, save the files, upload them to my hosting service & then create the description. Outside of sticking the card in & opening the folder, nothing was saved by using the iPad IMHO.

Too many things, too little time.

Peace

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Sat Mar 10 03:07:33 2012

And can you mount an iPad on a tripod? Some cameras are bulky enough, but the form factor of a tablet doesn't really lend itself to photo sessions.

I can see a tablet being useful as a credit card terminal with those new apps out there, like Square. If you sell at shows or other events, it could definitely be a useful tool. Otherwise, I agree with other posters that my current camera, phone, and computer are best-suited for my needs.

by: Mark T This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 25 06:21:46 2012

As professional photographers, we would not advice using any mobile device for taking pictures of product.

The quality is just not there.