Fri Feb 10 2012 12:44:47

Selling Perfume Bottles on eBay for Fun and Profit

By: Julia Wilkinson

Amy Alexander Kagey ("amycats2" on eBay) attended a country auction one day and bid on a $2 box lot. One of them wound up containing a rare old perfume bottle that brought her over $2600 on eBay, and would later go on to be featured in Antique Trader magazine.

Intrigued by her success with perfumes and bottles of all kinds from her eBay Store at http://stores.ebay.com/Collectibilities, AuctionBytes asked Kagey some questions about which sell best, what her favorites are, and where you too can find these scented treasures.

Q:  What got you interested in perfume bottles?

A:  I have always worn perfume, and really thought that the decorative bottles looked like tiny works of art.

Q: Tell us about your recent rare find that you wrote up for Antique Trader - where and how did you find it?

A: I have sold designer perfumes on eBay before finding the $2600 perfume bottle. I found that bottle in a $2.00 box lot at a country auction. I did notice that it was an older perfume bottle in the box, but didn't recognize the name. [The bottle was a rare Depinoix for Benoit France "Merry Christmas" perfume with a figural cap.]

Q:  At what kinds of venues do you have the most luck finding perfumes and bottles? E.g. estate sales, offline auctions, etc?

A:  I have the best luck finding perfumes and bottles at estate sales and garage sales. Even half-empty bottles of rare or expensive perfumes can sell well!

Q:  Do you have a favorite perfume or bottle yourself?

A:  Actually, my own favorite perfume is a discontinued Victoria's Secret scent from the '80s. It isn't made anymore, so of course I buy mine from eBay!

Q: In your eBay store, Collectibilities, you have a lot of perfumes listed. What kinds of brands/types that sell best for you there? E.g. French-made, art deco, etc.?

A: In my eBay store, Collectibilities http://stores.ebay.com/Collectibilities, I sell lots of vintage and modern higher-end perfumes. The best sellers are vintage perfumes that are discontinued that people dearly miss. I've heard lots of stories from ladies who wore a certain perfume as a teenager, or who were looking for the aftershave their husband wore when they were dating.

Q: Do you sell on any other marketplaces?

A:  I sell other items sometimes on Amazon, but eBay is my main venue since I deal in mostly vintage items.

Thanks, Amy!

Have you had success finding perfumes and perfume bottles? Do you look for a discontinued scent on eBay or another site? Share your story here!

Selling Perfume Bottles on eBay for Fun and Profit   Selling Perfume Bottles on eBay for Fun and Profit

by: Harriet This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 11 16:47:29 2012

In the past, I have looked on eBay for Guerlain's L'Heure Bleu, which is hard to find. So I am glad there are those who sell older perfumes. Some perfumes do get an off smell when they age, so it can be a gamble to purchase vintage perfumes.

I often buy perfumes at garage sales or estate sales. Some are wonderful, some are a disappointment.

Maybe Amy could talk a little about vintage perfumes and their scent, and what could cause the off smell.

by: LOISD This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 11 19:45:27 2012

I have also had luck with older perfume bottles when I can find them.  My best was a shoe box full for $5 that i made several hundred dollars on.  I had put a note in my listings that the perfume was old and may smell different than when it was new.
Thanks for the good article.
Lois

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Sun Feb 12 09:35:25 2012

What an interesting thing to sell and collect! I had no idea that they could be so valuable!

My fear would be that someone buys the bottle, and then complains that it's empty... and gets their money back w/o having to return the ''fraudulent'' item. ~ Whether it's through the buyer's negligence, stupidity, or criminal intent... there's a horror story waiting to happen here.

by: iramency This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 12 20:03:56 2012

This is truly a good read, and a neat thing to collect. I hardly ever see them in my travels.

This user has validated their user name. by: juliawww

Tue Feb 14 10:10:20 2012

Harriet, yes, Guerlains tend to do very well. Some of the older Shalimar bottles are just gorgeous..and the new ones too. :)Lois, that is awesome! What a great find!

Annie, I hear you...when I list them, I include a lot of photos and am very clear how full the bottle is (usually they can see, but I say anyway), or if it's empty, and if the scent has ''turned'' and gone to looking like Mrs. Butterworth's syrup..lol. BTW Annie I love your avatar! I'm a big Dame Edna fan..love ''her''! ;)

This user has validated their user name. by: juliawww

Tue Feb 14 10:11:35 2012

Oh and I forgot to mention..one to keep your eye out for that I find a lot? Nina Ricci's L'Air Du Temps..it has the bird figurine on the top/stopper and some of the older bottles were made by Lalique. :)