Wed Feb 1 2012 10:48:45

Chinese Seller's Item Location Stirs up Confusion

By: Julia Wilkinson

There was an interesting discussion on one of the eBay boards recently about whether the "Item Location" on a listing was misleading, because it showed as "US," but the item, a cell phone case, actually shipped from China.

“My daughter bought a cell phone case that was listed as ‘Item Location: US’ but turns out it's actually in Hong Kong,” said the poster, “wroberts69.”  “One of the big China sellers,” she added.  She said she was checking on the item on behalf of her daughter, because it hadn't arrived yet.

She said she checked the seller's other listings and half of them or more showed a US location; the rest showed the true location. “I emailed the seller and he did provide tracking info for the item, and it did indeed ship via China Post. No apology…no explanation for his misleading listing practices. Just the tracking info.”

The eBayer said she reported "a whole slew of the seller’s auctions that had the location listed as US," but none of them had been removed yet.

The seller felt this was misleading and wrote, “Obviously, if you click on the seller’s ID, it shows his location, but I would imagine most people are not going to do that, therefore buying a product advertised as located in the US but, in fact, not.  This really irks me to no end, and it doubly irks me that eBay is not removing these listing.”

Another eBayer chimed in saying he also felt he had gotten the old bait-and-switch. “I bought some Majic the Gathering cards that were supposedly from California but when I went to pay I got hit with $30 shipping from Hong Kong! I will NOT pay that much for shipping especially when the item was only $4!!” He said he filed a dispute and was waiting to see what happens.

Others on the board pointed out that the seller could be registered/living in the US but drop-shipping items from China, “so my item location would say China and that would be accurate, but looking at my registered address, how does eBay know that?”

Another speculated, “(Or) - maybe your Chinese seller is drop-shipping from a USA-based company?”

They added, “I'm not sure how eBay would go about verifying whether items are located where they say or not. Clearly from the tracking you were provided this specific listing was listed as being in the US and shipped from China, but how do you know the other listings that are listed in the US aren't in fact shipping from a supplier in the US?”

Another poster to the board, who also bought things on eBay, said she had drilled down to  USA only  in her search for a base-shaper for her new LV (Louis Vuitton),  and “I can't tell you how many Chinese sellers still popped up.  I was really irritated about that as well,” she wrote.

The conversation grew to involve more problems with Chinese sellers. “The Chinese are in a massive copying production phase of anything sold in USA.  It will get to the point within next few years that only way you can authenticate something will be to buy it from the store yourself,” said one poster.

This poster said he thought it was “bad news for eBay” and it would get too risky to buy online. He added that “they are heavy into [the] cosmetic area also now  -  they buy one MAC product from [a] reputable store in America - then make 10 MAC products from that one they purchased by adding all kinds of ingredients (some harmful) to make each MAC look full.  Then resell it on eBay.  It’s a shame but there is no way to control it as [the] Chinese government is looking to gain financial prominence.”

eBay’s own stated policy indicates that the item location needs to indicate where the item is being shipped from. Under the “not allowed” (red circle) icon on eBay's policy pages, it states, “Giving an incorrect item location. For example, indicating that the item is in the U.S. when it is actually being shipped from China.” It also cites that the location in the item description, if stated, needs to match the item location field.

Of course, not everyone is upset with having Chinese sellers on eBay. I know some eBayers who can only find certain types of goods they need or want from China.

What do you think? Have you run into this problem before, and if so and you reported it, was anything done?  Have you had other problems with Chinese sellers? Post a comment.

Chinese Seller's Item Location Stirs up Confusion   Chinese Seller's Item Location Stirs up Confusion

by: Susan Averello This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 1 11:31:48 2012

Regardless of how I feel about Chinese sellers, incorrect location is an incorrect location. If the item says it is shipping from the USA, it should be shipping from the USA. End of story.

Being shipping from US doesn't guarantee much about the item (cus they could be made in china anyway) but it does change shipping time and cost.

The seller should be shut down just for violating Ebay's own policy but
That is probably wishful thinking

This user has validated their user name. by: FidoSysop

Wed Feb 1 14:18:44 2012

I read somewhere, probably here on AuctionBytes, that eBay was facilitating USA shipping for Chinese sellers.

Don't remember the actual wording but somehow eBay was setting up warehouses for foreign sellers.

Those sellers were listed as being in the USA and shipped out of California.

So i bought a widget on eBay thinking it was from an American Seller, when it actually was bulk shipped from China to a California destination and shipped from the USA.

Yes it's Misleading, but that's eBay for ya.. :)

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed Feb 1 15:03:30 2012

Many ebay policies are nothing more than cosmetic and, if enforced at all, are randomly enforced and primarily against American sellers when enforced.

Not only is Ho the Hammer building warehouses in the US for Chinese sellers (item location? USA of course!), long time readers will remember when ebay REMOVED the item location line in the listing for Chinese sellers if a propsective buyer landed on the listing from certain domains.

Not only does the item location need to be perfectly clear, the SELLER'S location should be there as well.

All members should have an easy and convenient way of deciding whether they want to buy from international sellers.

Of course, transparency is the last thing ebay wants because ebay heavily promotes Communist Chinese sellers over any other nation.

I've reported three different Chinese sellers for misrepping their location and ebay DID NOTHING.

Don't ever forget Ming's Ebay Theorem: WHEN PROFIT COLLIDES WITH INTEGRITY, PROFIT ALWAYS WINS.

And why shouldn't Chinese sellers lie? Ebay lies. Always has. Always will.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Wed Feb 1 17:26:26 2012

“Vendor Claims eBay Plays Dirty”

Now, seriously, who could have believed it?

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking

This user has validated their user name. by: elpereles

Wed Feb 1 19:42:00 2012

The problem isn't only the sellers location. Also some buyers like to have dual location.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Wed Feb 1 20:05:43 2012

On Amazon, it doesn't appear to be a problem when buyers have multiple addresses or even send items to a friend of family member. How has that worked out for eBay sellers when a buyer wants to send to a different address - are you feeling protected by eBay/PayPal?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed Feb 1 21:04:02 2012

@ Ina

I feel very protected.

Protected from making a profit.

Ebay invites, facilitates, and profits heavily from a laundry list of criminal fraud from refusing to refund listing fees in many cases to fraudulently placing holds on seller accounts.

It is the Mafia of online commerce.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Thu Feb 2 00:40:45 2012

Bottom line, eBay simply does not care to consistently enforce policy.

Reporting violations is an exercise in futility. It was explained to me once by eBay that only serious violations such as counterfeit goods, VERO etc... are reviewed here in the states. The majority of listing violation reports are pushed overseas where actual enforcement rarely takes place.

In the case of auction listings more times than not the listings have expired before violation reports are reviewed by anyone, hence the lack of action.

by: Digmen1 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 2 15:14:29 2012

Yes its ironic that ebay enforce their rules on sellers when it suits them.

by: Lost Cake This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 2 17:18:00 2012

This is not just an ebay problem. I've seen quite a few international sellers with US addresses at the smaller venues (Bonanza, AtomicMall, etc.) I've noticed them mostly selling health supplements, make-up, boner pills, and DVDs. One, for example, has a shipping address in San Diego, CA, but if you look at their feedback there are multiple customers complaining it took a month to receive their items, and that they were shipped from China. Bottom line; it's up to the customer to do their due diligence. Don't rely on ebay, or any company for that matter, to ''be on your side.'' They are there for one reason; to make money...and I do not blame them for that...I like money too. If you don't do your own research, you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. ''A fool and his money are soon parted.''

by: Jim This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 3 02:36:39 2012

I had this happen, the tipoff was that the amount changed from $ to British pounds and the confirmation statement had a link to Hong Kong eBay I cancelled the transaction.

by: KEEPING A CLOSE EYE ON THEM ALL! This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 3 06:08:06 2012

Yep, I've gotten hit the same way - Seller listed it as being in New Jersey/U.S. and it shipped from China... What a load of crap.

MY FAULT, the same exact seller had other listings for the same item SHOWING China as the location - Something I caught onto after the fact of making the purchase.

Re: Ming

L.O.L.! I hear ya on the ‘no profits’ brother!

And BTW, my wife is a Girl Scout Troop Leader …
They had an "Ebay Sales Professional"  (note the quote/unquote) address some seminar or another they were attending -  During the ‘questions’ segment, in front of nearly 500 Troop leaders and community leaders of 1 sort or another my wife brought up that issue of the warehouses in California being built and outfitted for the Chinese sellers to use and the guy point blank called her a 'Liar' in so many words and flatly denied that was happening in any way shape or form...

So as usual, ebay KNOWS they are doing something border line criminal, underhanded, and committing what amounts to out and out TREASON against their own Country by promoting Chinese sellers and crap/rip off counterfeited goods over U.S. sellers own goods and promoting and facilitating sending U.S. dollars OUT of the U.S. to support a foreign powers economy rather than our own...

But they aren't 'man enough' to state the fact and be up front about it and admit that's what they are doing… I make a point of telling every single last person and potential buyer I can about ebays current anti-America’s doings - Those that are willing to listen and believe me are absolutely astounded by ebays underhandedness and scheming and agree in a heart beat to get their goods from my other sites rather than ebay for that reason alone…

No surprise there - as our friend always says: ebay LIES, CHEATS & STEALS...
ALWAYS HAS & ALWAYS WILL.

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Fri Feb 3 09:10:28 2012

I have sold to a few international buyers who use a US address for receiving items. I've blocked the commercial package-forwarding services (the ones I know about from articles posted here) due to the problems I've heard about where they're attempting to push liability for the overseas forwarded portion of the shipping back onto the sellers, even though our liability ends when it reaches the US destination that they use as their shipping address. EBay doesn't seem to care about that, either, so I simply avoid them. I've had no problems selling direct to my foreign buyers and don't need any middlemen messing things up.

As a buyer, I did encounter a company once that had a California address, but shipped the item from Hong Kong. They explained that they had a US office and that only some of their items shipped from overseas. This was all explained in their listings, however, do there was no duplicity. I think the ones who are purposely misleading know that many of us are attempting to buy more domestic products and are attempting to take advantage of that.

This user has validated their user name. by: Stockmiser

Fri Feb 3 09:31:58 2012

If I ordered something from a ''USA'' seller, and there was no indication in the listing that the item was going to be shipped from overseas, I'd neg the seller, ding the DSR's, AND I'd file a SNAD.

I consider the ''ship from'' country to be part of the item description, and I don't buy from sellers outside the USA.  That's my choice, and if the seller hides that fact, I consider it a deliberate deception.

by: JohnGermaine This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 3 10:26:14 2012

“The Chinese are in a massive copying production phase of anything sold in USA.  It will get to the point within next few years that only way you can authenticate something will be to buy it from the store yourself,” said one poster.''

Well, DUH!!  Anyone who is foolish enough to purchase high end goods not from the manufacturer is asking to be ripped off.  Wake up and smell the coffee people!!  I can't believe that ANYONE still attempts to purchase high end brand names on line.

This user has validated their user name. by: Nan

Fri Feb 3 10:36:11 2012

I absolutely _DO_ want to know where the item is shipping from.  It is part of my buying decision.

As a seller, I have taken to adding "All orders are shipped from our location [state], [country] via USPS (United States Postal Service) " to my auction descriptions.  I don't know if this helps sales, but if I saw it in an auction I was considering for purchase, it would be a deciding factor.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 3 11:05:15 2012

Silly sellers! Honesty is NOT for eBay!

I cant believe that anyone here thinks that eBay is an honest and above board company. There isnt ANYTHING that they do that is honest.

From top to bottom, from the TOS to when you're TOSSED - everything is about one thing and one thing ONLY - MONEY.

Ebay has many policies - as many rules as the IRS. They are enforced selectively and based on the SHOW ME THE MONEY theory.

Manufactorer threaten to sue? sic VERO on the seller - whether they are right or wrong isnt the point - its about saving money NOT going to court, or having to wake eBays sleeping, Kardashian watching ''lawyers''.

Have 1200 negatives in one month? No problem as long as the FVF's are rolling in. Can you imagine having 1200 negatives in 30 days? Is that who eBay wants to have representing them?

Item location incorrect? See above! Chinese Megasellers creat FVF's which are needed to fend off Wall Street.

Ebay's ''customer protection''? BS - theres no such thing. Sellers are always wrong - and FREEbays are created to keep buyers ''happy''. Paypal wasnt created to reinvent money transfers - it was created to keep sellers under eBays thumb! If you used your own CC processing, eBay couldnt punnish you with Magic invisible DSRs and Freebays!

Its ALL about the money!

The blog's other question - about eBay refunding you for site outtage .... no offense - are you on crack? eBay doesnt care (1) iota about you the seller - you arent thier customer or target! The BUYER IS!

When ever anything happens on eBay ''good'' or bad - its about the bottom line.

If you provide enough FVF's you can do ANYTHING and get away with it - fakes included. I've emailed eBay 50 times about various fakes - they just laugh. The seller in 1 SKU alone, sold 800+ pcs!

''Its about the FVF's Stupid!''

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 3 11:15:15 2012

It's NOT just on ebay that the item location is "hidden".  Recently we were given a web site to purchase a formal dress from.  In order to see if this would FIT we looked to see if we could locate an actual distribution location and take the person to try it on.

We discovered that the item is NOT available in a US store in UNDER 15 WEEKS.  Why?  Because as it turns out the DRESS is ONLY made in CHINA and if WE want to order it we can---but the location of manufacture is NEVER disclosed.  If the LOCAL RETAIL WEDDING STORE wants to order it---they have to go thru the SAME on-line order and then they mark the price up hugely---we could buy it ourselves for $54 AND $30 SHIPPING---or we could let the local bridal shop order it from CHINA for us for $179.00.

Of course the local shop is in no way "admitting" that the dress is coming from CHINA.

I find this just as deceptive as ebay's business  practise of allowing the Chinese merchants to "hide" this information.  I have bought a very few things from China--I don't have a huge big problem with things coming FROM there as long as I KNOW this---that I could NOT find here---but then it was MY CHOICE to order or not

Also be aware that a LOT of the Chinese sellers on ebay either use an AUSTRALIAN currency indicator or they have somehow gotten their items logged in as US DOLLAR amounts so it is really HARD to tell just by looking.  I have noticed on a few areas of ebay tho that there is an indicator of where the item is allegedly located---so for some things this might help winnow down the field of search.  But if they LIE----

by: LittleRetroKids This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 5 19:26:11 2012

Ebay is NOT out to protect the seller NOR is it out to protect the buyer.  ALSO, GOOD LUCK trying to get your money back from PAYPAL (owned by EBAY) on a deal gone sour - you will only get pennies on your dollar.  Ebay is ONLY out to protect EBAY.  That's it, end of story.  The last time Ebay was worth mentioning in a good light was when Meg Whitman was running it.  Now, it's nothing but a Ghetto Ruled "Where's my money" heirarchy.  If you do find something on Ebay that you like, make sure you send the seller an email FIRST before you bid and make sure you look at their feedback.  If it's any lower than 90% then buyer beware, you're on your own.  Otherwise, the more people stay away from Ebay, the better for them to realize their new CEO is a piece of garbage and Ebay has tanked.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 9 08:28:34 2012

Ebay is Un-American

In the struggling economic times we are experiencing ebay should and can be promoting american sellers - afterall we are the ones who built ebay. We need to keep our American dollars in circulation in America. I don't give a tinkers damm about what their doing in china - they've been an isolated country for 1,000's of years - let them stay that way - we need to take care of our own and ebay should know better. How is our economy ever going to recover when all our jobs and money keep going to china - americans really need to wake up. If you buy something that say usa and it comes from china - refuse it at the post office - don't even open it up. Then file a claim with paypal/ebay - they LOVE the buyers so much they will refund your money. If enough people stood up and did this ebay would change their minds about the scamming chinese sellers and their junk.