Tue Dec 25 2012 13:12:10

Best and Worst Gift You Gave or Got, Online or Off?

By: Julia Wilkinson

"Today, sir? Today? Today is Christmas Day, sir!" said the little boy in the street to Ebenezer Scrooge. While we're on the topic of Christmas, and even Scrooge, how about having a little holiday fun? Share the best and worst holiday gifts you ever gave or got. And did you buy them online or off?

A radio d.j. on my local news station told a story about one of the worst gifts he gave. It was to his own mom. Apparently, his mom had dentures, a.k.a. false teeth, and he thought it would be a fab idea to get her this electronic denture-cleaning gadget.

She looked up from her opened gift, and just sighed, "Oh, Dave," he said.

Some of my favorite gifts came from my older brother and my mom, because they knew me so well. And they weren't necessarily expensive. Once my mom gave me a single-egg poacher, so I could have my one little poached egg, which I ate like clockwork every morning, rather than using the larger poacher that took up to four or five eggs. She of course bought it offline, since there was no "online" per se in 1977.

In terms of giving, this year the "big-ticket" item was for my son, a laptop computer. Normally I would have ordered this online, but I learned on Sunday that rather than coming with me to pick one out himself the day after Christmas, and possibly on sale, he was definitely expecting it under the tree. So I found myself in a crowded Best Buy store quickly trying to make a decision on the best laptop for the money we'd budgeted for it. (We wound up spending more, of course). And no, I didn't "showroom"; I didn't have time for that unless I wanted to spend a lot on expedited shipping.

But it's safe to say he's happy with his gift. The worst gift I ever gave? I'm going to hold off on that one. If enough of you all share yours, maybe I'll share mine! (No, it wasn't a pet rock, though I remember one Christmas when someone in the family got one).  Post a comment here, if you dare, or even just to vent. And happy holidays, all!

Best and Worst Gift You Gave or Got, Online or Off?   Best and Worst Gift You Gave or Got, Online or Off?

This user has validated their user name. by: Sandymenu

Tue Dec 25 21:01:06 2012

Laptop story sounds great!

The WORSE (4) gifts came from Bonanza site. I'm too embarrass to tale' what they were but I guess its the ''Thought That Counts'', ?

I also got the ''Chia Pet'' and the little hairy thing is already blooming for a big shave!

Merry Xmas

This user has validated their user name. by: juliawww

Tue Dec 25 21:50:57 2012

Hey sandy! Lol I was wondering if anyone would say chia pet! The archetype of bad guys. Sorry to hear about onanza.. But you definitely got my curiosity up , ;)

This user has validated their user name. by: Sandymenu

Tue Dec 25 22:40:20 2012

Hey julia! That little furry chia is now starting to SMILE.

My, how they grow ''so fast'' these days!

hey thanks!

This user has validated their user name. by: permacrisis

Wed Dec 26 09:43:11 2012

In late 2009 this fellow whom we know, or more properly 'was known to us', took advantage of our hospitality and robbed our house.

He grabbed a smartphone and a netbook, both of which my young son loved to play with. I simply assumed he was too young to remember.

In his letter to Santa this year, my little son astounded Santa by explaining that 'Santa breaks into houses to return things that are stolen from people' and then proceeded to ask, by model and brand, for the smartphone and netbook in question.

Well- what do you say to that.

I found both on Craigslist and used the 'email this listing to a friend' feature to point them out to Santa.

Lo and behold, they appeared under the tree, fully boxed in original packaging no less, and with old backups reinstalled. The little one beamed from ear to ear.

A little nervous how he will present this story in school, however!

by: JoyfulA This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 27 01:09:40 2012

I have received this year, for the first time, two different "mind-stretching" games and puzzle sets, from a sibling and an in-law. Because such things are touted as deterring senility, I suspect family thinks I'm not too sharp and need some mental exercise.

by: 1 Womans Treasures This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 27 09:38:46 2012

My husband and I had only been married a couple of years when he decided to give me a fire extinguisher for Christmas.  He must have been worried about my cooking skills!

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 27 12:14:57 2012

My grown daughter one year got--Barbie Hair.  Yup--JUST the hair.  No Barbie. We have no clue as to why.

The SAME person gave my HS age sons--baby Legos.

And---the SAME person gave me the very FIRST thing I SOLD on ebay---something called "Santa Soaking His Feet".  This was a mechanized Santa sitting in a chair with BARE FEET that he dipped into a basin. There was even a voice over.

Needless to say--this was NOT my fave gift of all time.  And for the few years we had it --carefully stored in the basement between Decembers--I hoped and prayed for a mouse to EAT the damn thing--or worse!

Then---along came ebay.

I didn't have a digi camera so I used the scanner as a giant format camera.  And I was astonished when some one BOUGHT Santa Soaking His Tired Achy Feet.

Astonished---but addicted too!

And that SAME person is STILL giving the most bizarre gifts to a new generation.

Aren't WE lucky!