|Wed Nov 21 2012 10:22:59|
Ways to Promote Black Friday: What Will You Do?
By: Julia Wilkinson
It isn't even Thursday and you may be tired of hearing about "Black Friday." But if you sell online, you likely have your own plan as to how to get in on the promotional craze. Here are some ways we found online; this year, for one thing, sales seems to be starting early. Then I'd love to hear what you are doing for "Black Friday" (and through "Cyber Monday," and what is most effective for you from past years.
According to a recent Shop.org post, sellers are:
- Starting on Thanksgiving Day. 46% of those they surveyed this fall planned specific Thanksgiving Day promotions.
- Promoting sales early: "Almost half of retailers surveyed will be getting the word out early...29.7% a week or more before Thanksgiving Day, and another 16.2% a good 5 to six days before Turkey Day.
- Offering a mix of discounts and free shipping. "...almost half of retailers surveyed will offer special deals on specific products or categories. Approximately two out of five retailers will offer a one-day sale (41.7%)...over one-third (36.1%) plans to offer free standard shipping on all purchases."
- Using social media to promote: "Facebook is the hands-down medium of choice for retailers looking to promote in-store offers (80.6%), although just half of retailers plan to tap Twitter for similar purposes – and nearly one quarter will use blogs."
- Also using email (74.2%) and search marketing (54.8%).
- Home page promotions on websites: a missed opportunity? "Less than half will use home page messaging to get the word out about in-store offers," though shoppers are known to scour these for deals and price comparisons.
Online sellers who are smaller may be using slightly different techniques. On an Etsy forum, one seller suggests these strategies:
- A discount on an item's price
- A discount on shipping costs
- Adding extra bonuses to an order (such as "two-for-one", or "free gift with purchase")
- Adding coupon codes to their listings.
Etsy will be promoting listings with these offers. "In order to participate, *clearly state the promotion in the item description*, and tag the item with "Black Friday Etsy" AND* "Cyber Monday Etsy". Adding those tags will make that item eligible for promotion for the whole weekend (11/23-11/26)."
What promotions are you doing for Black Friday, and through Cyber Monday in some cases? What strategies have worked well for you in recent years? Or do you just hope for increased traffic to bring in more sales? Post a comment here!