Mon Nov 19 2012 10:59:25

What Do You Think of Retail Stores Opening on Thanksgiving?

By: Julia Wilkinson

We're all used to the teeming masses huddling to break free into doorbuster-specials on Black Friday. But now it seems "Thanksgiving Creep" has led to some retail stores opening on the evening of Thanksgiving, and not waiting until Friday. Target, Wal-Mart and Sears have all announced they're opening up on Turkey Day eve, with the latter two opening at 8 p.m., and Target opening at 9 p.m.

But some folks have taken umbrage to the pushback into this family-oriented holiday; Target shareholders have started a petition on Change.org, "Target: Take the high road and save Thanksgiving."

"Thanksgiving is the one day we get to spend with people we know," wrote "C. Renee" of Corona, CA, who started the petition. "I currently work two jobs, substitute teaching and work Target at nights and weekends, so having Thanksgiving off really does give me that one day to relax and visit family I otherwise have no time to see."

She writes that she just heard that one of Target's top competitors, Wal-Mart, will open at 8 pm on Thanksgiving this year. "Since workers need to show up sometimes hours before the story officially opens, this will take much of Thanksgiving away from retail employees across the country," she writes, suggesting Target can take the high road and save Thanksgiving for employees like her and their families by saying no to "Thanksgiving Creep."

Others signing the petition seem to strongly agree: "The quest for the almighty dollar has become ridiculous. Let employees have their holidays too," wrote Celeste from TN.

What do you think? Is pushing Black Friday back into Thanksgiving Day itself too much? Do you feel the urge to shop on Thanksgiving night, or are you one of those who likes to get up early Friday and do the Black Friday thing? (Or maybe you're more like me, who does as much of her shopping online as possible!). Post a comment here!

What Do You Think of Retail Stores Opening on Thanksgiving?   What Do You Think of Retail Stores Opening on Thanksgiving?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Nov 19 11:24:23 2012

Greed over respect for their employees.  This is one day that employees should be able to spend with their families.

Does the C-level management report to work on that day?   I think you know the answer to that one.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Nov 19 11:40:36 2012

Personally, I don't have a problem with stores being open on Thanksgiving. There are places like Disneyland (where I will be on Thanksgiving) that are open every day of the year. Not getting holidays and weekends off is the price one pays for being a retail employee (or an online seller). I don't think it's greed; more a way to bolster sales in a bad economy. Also, not everyone has a family to celebrate with, so a little retail therapy always makes a day seem brighter. And I won't being going near a mall or big box on Black Friday as I no longer have the patience or stamina to deal with the chaos.

by: Duke This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 19 11:42:51 2012

For all of the complaining people do about stores being open, they sure flocked to the retail store I used to work at on Thanksgiving evening...

This user has validated their user name. by: juliawww

Mon Nov 19 12:13:07 2012

LOL Duke..hope you don't have to do that this year! ;) Although, the odds are, if someone buys something from me on Thanksgiving via eBay, Amazon or Etsy, I'll be makin' time to pack it.

by: Mr. Me This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 19 12:38:54 2012

They are just catering to the stoopid people looking for their "bargains", according to the evening news....... people have been "camping out" a week in advance.... get a life!

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Mon Nov 19 13:55:55 2012

Sundays use to be the day to rest, spend time with the family and to rejuvenate for the start of the week. All stores were closed. Slowly over the years everything has become commercialized and greed IMO has taken over. Stores started stocking months earlier and earlier for each and every holiday. ''Time'' is what is being taken away and is the result of all the attempts to strip the consumer of their every last red cent. The only thing left is our free will to choose what is best for us.

As you can see I am totally against this opening earlier and earlier of Black Friday. Not only does it ruin the employees time with family but the consumers who go to these stores have to wait in line hours earlier if they want to get the best deals. I'm not against Black Friday since it obviously has become a tradition for many and can be a fun day too. I just don't think it is a fair choice for families wanting to spend time together now on what is becoming a shorter and shorter holiday. Maybe instead of calling it Thanksgiving Day it should be the Thanksgiving Hour or maybe Thanksgiving Brunch.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Mon Nov 19 14:25:49 2012

I haven't ''DONE'' Black Friday for years. Nor do I ''DO'' malls, day after Christmas sales, etc....

Actually, I don't DO malls for shopping, haven't for years unless meeting friends at a restaurant is involved.

So, NO way do I shop in a B&M store on Thanksgiving.

One of you have an auction item I need & it ends on Thanksgiving - Yup, I'll  trot over & bid, pay if I win, then in a matter of just minutes, trot back to the pumpkin pie & family & annual viewing of ''Christmas Vacation''.

That, folks, is the beauty of what we do! Mele Kalikimaka, Y'all.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Mon Nov 19 16:44:42 2012

There is obviously a profit for stores or they would not be doing it.

That said, stores that choose to open Thanksgiving Night should staff their operations with employees who choose to work and not require employees to do so.

Given the horrible state of the economy I am sure there are many employees who will jump at the opportunity to sacrifice a few hours of family time in order to be paid time and a half for doing so.

To those who object to stores opening on Thanksgiving Night I would say make your voice heard by staying home in droves. If opening on Thanksgiving Night is a bust for stores, you can bet they will not do it next year.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Mon Nov 19 18:02:45 2012

I really have no negative feelings about it... except for my memories of how awful it was to work retail... in a MALL! Ugh.

I guess that's just the nature of working in retail. Pilots and flight attendants must work, fire and police must work, and the list goes on and on.

I'd hope that the employees were given enough notice to adjust their lives, and/or to request the time off (if needed) or to negotiate and bargain with other co-workers to trade shifts.

At the very least, the big-box stores ought to pay DOUBLE TIME and give everyone a fair shot to opt-in, or opt-out.

Am I being naively optimistic? Probably.

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 19 21:21:29 2012

Times are tough...I can understand them opening early as long as they pay their employees well for the inconvenience.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 19 21:42:04 2012

What I want to know is WILL EBAY ADJUST EXPECTED ARRIVAL TIMES? Where is an announcement? Will Thanksgiving count in the 24 hours that we MUST ship???
How can we sellers enjoy the holiday when if something is bought the day before Thanksiving (or Thanksgiving day) when we have to leave the supper table to UPLOAD TRACKING NUMBERS!
They never make a GD announcement-I have gone under 100% in my tracking because I did not package on a holiday- Folks- we need to know these DETAILS.
The devil is in the details and your sellers KNOW this, does ebay?
Mass Howler
(I feel sorry for the folks that have to work- myself included).
I am AGAIN taking my packages out of town WITH ME as I am going out overnight, dragging my packages and DC slips with me- Thanks JD.
We sellers can never simply ENJOY a holiday.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Mon Nov 19 23:47:49 2012

@Massachusets Howler

LOL! You need to get a new job.

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Tue Nov 20 08:37:53 2012

Another round of shortsighted policies produced by upper management.

There are only so many buck-a-ding-dongs available to spend. Opening earlier just spreads out the load, or, encourages the unwashed masses to flock to the earliest ones. Overall, nothing would be gained.

Instead of dealing with traffic jams on the highways & airports, citizens will be dealing with traffic jams at the malls & stores.

Choose your poison.

My poison is turkey tryptophene a nice bottle of wine and "Alice's Restaurant" in the air.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Tue Nov 20 10:14:09 2012

Al G - Remember when eBay was like Alice's Restaurant.....

''You can get anything you want...''

Those WERE the good ole days

by: JohnGermaine This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 20 10:55:38 2012

It stinks. People should be home with their families, stores should be CLOSED!

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 20 11:02:28 2012

I hate seeing stores open on Thansgiving, Christmas and other holidays. The stores have no regard for their employees at all. I used to work as a nurse and worked ten Christmases straight. I knew that was part of working as a nurse, but how many minimum wage earners figured that when they signed up to work at Walmart, etc. that they would have to work holidays as well? It is sad. I don't go shopping on those days or 'black friday'

by: ruthie This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 20 11:07:27 2012

@ ...''I am sure there are many employees who will jump at the opportunity to sacrifice a few hours of family time in order to be paid time and a half for doing so.''

My son is a Walmart dept. manager. They just give you an extra day off in the same week as TG ...that way you don't get time & 1/2, just your regular 35 hours. And yes ...he has to be at work on TG at 6 PM, gets off at 2 AM.

by: Brainiac jones This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 20 11:11:08 2012

Retail sucks, I know, at times. I'm not a big retail sale minnow, running to sales anymore. At 59 I pretty much have most if the 'things' I 'need' . Yeah, I work retail alas but I still have major holidays off cuz my owner isn't crazed desperate like others to squeeze a few more bucks out of the system at the cost of his happiness.

by: RAOTFLMAO This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 20 12:15:37 2012

Doesn't matter to me, I do probably 90% of my shopping online either through the store sites or on Amazon.  Walmart and the rest of the discount kings can open 26 hours a day for all I care..if I want the chinese crap I can get "fast and free" on ebay....

by: bri This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 20 12:32:49 2012

The people have the power.  Petitions etc. will fall upon deaf ears as profit is the name of the game. The solution is really simple:  all you consumers need to do is STAY AWAY.  If it becomes unprofitable, stores will not open.  May take a season or two but it can work.