Wed Nov 14 2012 11:29:51

Would You Use Amazon's Friends and Family Gifting?

By: Julia Wilkinson

Some folks recently got emails about a new service from Amazon called "Friends and Family Gifting." The idea behind the service is to "Keep track of  birthdays and gift ideas, get shopping reminders for every occasion, and find and remember friends' Wish Lists."

You can either connect to the app via Facebook, and add your Facebook Friends and family who have also chosen to connect their Amazon accounts to Facebook; or you can manually add friends to a separate list that you can access on Amazon.

I like the idea of getting birthday reminders, but the part of these kinds of apps that gives me pause is the part that says the app has "Access to post on your behalf." Exactly what is it posting on my behalf? My birthday? The last five things I bought? The fact that I buy really expensive coffee way too frequently?

The app has a FAQ which explains a lot about the app, but I'm still not clear about what it's going to post on my behalf.  The FAQ notes that "You can use Facebook Connect to easily grab information about your friends and family such as profile pictures, birth dates, sometimes Wish Lists, and your friend's 'Likes' to help you get more personalized gift suggestions"; and also that  it can "only find your friends' Wish Lists with Facebook Connect if they are also Facebook Connected with Amazon for privacy reasons."

It also clearly states "Customers do not have to interact with Facebook in any way to enjoy Friends & Family Gifting. We just thought it made for an easy way to add friends and grab their pictures and birthdays."

Is this a feature you would want to use? Does anything about it give you pause? Do you think you would use it this holiday season? And finally, do you even keep a "wish list" on Amazon? Post a comment here!

Would You Use Amazon's Friends & Family Gifting?   Would You Use Amazon's Friends & Family Gifting?

This user has validated their user name. by: permacrisis

Wed Nov 14 12:28:37 2012

Ha ha, wouldn't it be funny if the app RUINED a surprise birthday party first of all, and secondly blabbed on FaceBook about what presents everybody was going to get.
Laugh if you want, but whiz-bang developers often get so infatuated with the myriad features of their product that they forget who is using it and why...

by: Wire This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 14 12:36:01 2012

Would not use.

Would You Use Amazon's Friends and Family Gifting?   Would You Use Amazon's Friends and Family Gifting?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Wed Nov 14 14:24:15 2012

Facebook is a sleazy company that pimps out your information to make a buck. The day you emerged into the world is an excuse to bombard you with more spam.

I'd buy something cheap just to neg the desperate merchant. People who use Facebook to pester you with the junk they sell are not your friends. They are using you and information between you and your friend to make another miserable dollar.

Wipe out their business.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Wed Nov 14 15:27:30 2012

Nope. Yup. Nope. Nope.

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Wed Nov 14 22:54:30 2012

Waiving simultaneous translation:

Bark. Woof. Bark. Bark.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Nov 15 07:10:55 2012

Thanks Al, wagging tail.

by: Mr. Me This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 15 10:42:23 2012

"Keep track of  birthdays and gift ideas, get shopping reminders for every occasion, and find and remember friends' Wish Lists."... are we really that stupid?

This user has validated their user name. by: Sandymenu

Thu Nov 15 11:24:19 2012

Your ''preferences'' is what brings you these reminders. YOU have to go and change ALL your preferences wherever you have these communication options linked to.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 16 10:37:08 2012

All I need on Amazon is my grown kids wish list although last year it did backfire on me. I put something on my wishlist wanting to buy it for my DIL and she saw it on my list and bought it for me! Other than that, that is all I need Amazon to keep track of.

by: cherrypieandroses This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 16 11:25:56 2012

Nope.  I don't use any app which gains more access than just my name and public email.  Even though Amazon is my fav go-to shopping site online, I'll pass on this one just like on the others.