Mon Nov 5 2012 11:30:51

5 Hot Sleeper Toys Anyone Can Sell - Except One

By: Julia Wilkinson

We're in November and the holiday push has begun. But whether you sell shoes, car parts, cell phones or antique lamps, one category of things everyone can get in on the holiday selling fun with is toys. And wherever you source - you may be combing through your kids' old playthings or hitting up thrift stores - here are some of the best-selling "Old Faithfuls" that I and other sellers I know have done very well with. And, here's the kicker: they're not hard to come across! Except one. Read on to learn which.

- "Trivial Pursuit" Game - even the original Genus edition. Any of these games in new or very good condition are worth grabbing -- the 25th Anniversary edition, the Classic Rock edition, heck, even the "Totally 80s" edition. But the original "Genus" edition brings back memories for those of us who remember when the thing first came out and was ubiquitous at parties. New and new condition Genus games are selling on Amazon for $27 - $79.95.

- Legos, especially Star Wars. Look at the results from a search on "Legos" in the Google Keywords Tool: "star wars legos": 1,830,000 monthly searches; along with "legos star wars" and "starwars legos."

Speaking of the Google Keywords Tool to do selling research, did anybody notice (or care) when the eBay Pulse went bye-bye?

- Doll Clothes. These are everywhere, and they're just fun. They can be worth more than you think.  Whether Barbie or other brands, collectors are looking for these. A recent lot on eBay described as including "makers like barbie and pepper, and a Betsy McCall's Pretty Pac, most or the clothes are by unknown makers" went for $517.50. I'm not saying you'll get that for what you find, but if you see them while you're out and the price is low, they might wind up paying for a new outfit for you.

- "Scene It?" Games.  There are a lot of variations of these games, and I have found many of these still new in shrinkwrap at thrift stores. My theory is that kids receive them as birthday gifts and just don't want them, or aren't into board games, so their parents drop them off at charity shops.

- And the Last One Is...here we come to number 5, the "except one" of the toys anyone can sell. I say "except one" because these aren't easy to find. They even have "hidden" in their name. I'm talking about...Hidden Mickey dolls! These are plush toys that have a hidden "Mickey Mouse" face sewn in somewhere; on a paw or what have you. A pink one recently sold for $1300 on eBay. So keep your eyes..and Mickey ears..out for that one.

What toys do you sell consistently, if you sell toys? Are any of them surprising? And while we're at it, do you miss the eBay Pulse tool? Post a comment here!

5 Hot Sleeper Toys Anyone Can Sell - Except One   5 Hot Sleeper Toys Anyone Can Sell - Except One

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Mon Nov 5 12:07:29 2012

Actually, I'd never heard of eBay Pulse until today. Was it under-utilized, or under-promoted, or buggy?

It seems that eBay has trouble with commitment. They're all excited about whatever the ''next-new-thing'' is... fanfare, hoopla and press-releases galore. Then, before you know it, whatever it was has been forgotten or becomes obsolete.

This eBay-Pulse thing sounds interesting, but it was completely off my radar screen.

This user has validated their user name. by: juliawww

Mon Nov 5 13:07:56 2012

Hi Annie! eBay pulse was a page (or series of pages) off eBay that, as I recall showed common searches for a particular category. Some folks on that eBay discussion thread said they never found it helpful bec the terms were too general, and some said they found it helpful nonetheless. Personally, I would have liked to see them keep it, but oh well.

by: SnapPost This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 6 00:15:59 2012

I found my first hidden mickey bear recently at the thrift store after checking the stuffed animal bins for years! I was shaking when I found it. BUT, it turned out to be one of the cheaper ones and only went for about $30. Still was a good investment for the buck it cost.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 6 00:47:23 2012

Oh NO!!!!!!!   Now I need to be hitting the TOY BINS too???!!!!   LOL!!!!

Notice nowhere was there a mention of BEANIE BABIES or McDonalds giveaways or Cabbage Patch Kids?

Weren't all of those s'posed to be what we were going to fund our retirement trips to Tahiti with?

I sold a bunch of old and not rare Barbies back a few years ago for a few $100 (flea combs--thats the secret to perfect Barbie hair!) and a toy rifle for a profit of $75 over the $2 my kid paid for it.  Course the kid got the money but he found it and had the good sense to show ME!!!!

And the best Toy Find?  A Vintage Original Shrink Wrap version of BRITISH MONOPOLY which brought in a nice return.

And I felt I did my college proud when I found myself typing Vintage Original Shrink Wrap----

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 6 02:00:03 2012

The eBay page I miss, long gone, was the all eBay ending soonest.  Great for when you wanna browse but have no preconception as to what you would like to find.  I often came across interesting items in categories I would never have thought to look into.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 6 09:48:02 2012

Well that is a great headups especially when I think of all the Trivial Persuit games I saw at my thrift store...before it burned down :(. Oh well it is almost rebuilt and ready for business again so I will keep my eye out for these items. With grown kids, it is easy to get out of the loop of what toys are hot.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Nov 6 11:31:55 2012

I sell NRFB Lego sets and Barbie clothes, so I've got two out of three!

This is the first time I've heard of Hidden Mickey plush, and I practically live at Disneyland. Guess I'll have to research them in case I've got one in the house.