Mon Oct 15 2012 12:15:08

eBay Seller Reports Low Sales and Multiple ID Oddities

By: Julia Wilkinson

A Top-Rated eBay seller (aka "TRS") I know reported weirdness in terms of traffic between her two different eBay accounts. She says her eBay listings are "getting barely any hits, and sales, during what is usually my busiest month of year for [a specific type of item she sells], has come down to a crawl."

She speculates as to why: "Probably from new search engine? Google changes?"

The funny thing is, she says, "I have another eBay ID with under 200 feedbacks and, although only a few listings, I'm getting lots of views, watches, and sales!"

Other sellers are reporting some oddball things with sales on the eBay boards; for example in this Seller Central thread, "Is eBay Messing with Numbers?"

In one private eBay-related group, there was more speculation on established/TRS accounts getting low sales, while new accounts get lots of hits: "I called about a few glitches including my sales tanking," wrote one seller.  "Basically in the 30-minute conversation the rep said TRS does not do much for you - really....So I went to my category and did some research. Brand new sellers (one had 0 feedback, another 38) - and these are 2 examples - are getting HIGH visibility. Selling on auction and getting bids from the door and selling all they listed for good money. Nice stuff but alot of sellers have nice stuff."

"I have heard that a new account will bring in sales," affirmed another seller, who also said that whenever she calls eBay, afterwards sales roll in.

Have you noticed any such weirdness such as this if you have multiple eBay accounts? Has the TRS not been of any help to you in search, or maybe even hurt you standing in search, as some speculate? And do you notice a trend that accounts with low feedback, or new accounts, are getting more sales...and it does not seem to due with the item or its price? Or do you think all this is coincidental, or due to eBay's latest search changes? Post a comment here!

eBay Seller Reports Low Sales and Multiple ID Oddities   eBay Seller Reports Low Sales and Multiple ID Oddities

by: rqtball This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 15 15:14:26 2012

I am guessing with the holidays coming and them promoting new selling so much(free listings) that they want the "newbies" to get bids and sales so they stay on the site to bid and to sell.

Bumping them up in search is how they do it.

Of course at the expense of ebays best sellers (top rated sellers)

by: mylifeisgood This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 15 15:51:54 2012

Much ado about nothing..

by: ToniMarie2448 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 15 16:37:58 2012

Interesting Ebay article.  Have you heard of the 'social selling' trend?

I found this site and love to sell on it - it's sort of like an 'Ebay/Etsy of Pinterest'.  It's called SellPin.

http://www.SellPin.com  - no listing fees and your item stays up/pinned on Pinterest until it sells.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon Oct 15 16:56:20 2012

So, eBay is (desperately) manipulating the exposure of merchants' listing in favour of its preferred merchants ... what's new?

7842#post167842

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 15 20:55:17 2012

Ebay pushes trs's to lose $, ship free, upload tracking and all this other stuff- then they give exposure to newer id's.
This is well-know and is discussed on the boards EVERYWHERE- I reported it myself to Ina over 4-5 months ago (I am sure I wasn't the 1st)- ABSOLUTE DECEPTION, LIES and THEFT by ebay!
They WANT us established sellers to get new id's- Have our $$ held; etc. like we are NEWBIES.
I got a new ID and tried to list the 50 free and UP came the box- ''Non-established seller, 21 day hold''-Huh??- 10 years same computer- donchaknowme?
Called ebay csr and they said sorry, we are doing that to all new sellers. I said that I was a 10 year seller trying to get the 50 fre... and she HUNG UP ON ME.

This is all leading up to the Cassini punch that we are all in for.
What we are in now is just the google fade.

After 10 years, last week we had a ''Limit'' placed on our account- 7000 FB, 1000 this year, 3 low dsr scores all OVER 3 MONTHS ago or MORE(total dsr's, NOT items, seperate scores of 1 or 2's) with no new negative fb (99.8/2 old negs 1 nuet) but 1 opened case which I won and a LIMIT?
And this new ''BRILLIANT'' search- ebay SCREWS EVERYTHING UP so what will be different this time- it will probably work even better STEERING OUR BUYERS to the diamond stores I have NO DOUBT! You see, when we small sellers say we are not getting exposure and the ebay numbers are up we know somebody is getting my buyers-

WE KNOW WHAT Y-O-U have done to us JD.

I like the Chinese but I do not want to compete with them (and their cheap stuff). If all ebay pushes is NEW stuff than 90% of what sells on ebay will be made in China anyways. All this pressure for new stuff on ebay- folks need to UNDERSTAND that almost ALL NEW STUFF IS MADE IN CHINA so you do not have to buy DIRECTLY from China to buy from China so even if you are buying from US sellers, successful sellers now have to stock from China.
When buyers buy PREOWNED IT ALL THE $$$ IS MADE HERE and STAYS here so SUPPORT your used item sellers.
ANOTHER BIG DECEPTION - re-listed items get Lesser and lesser exposure Each time you re-list an item- it goes farther back and farther back and eventually, after many weeks, it sells for the initial bid- Ebay says that re-lists are given the same exposure each time in auctions and it just is not true. The re-listing fees and re-listing fees and re-listing fees will KILL YOU.
- To end time ending soonest was a PERSONAL ATTACK on sellers by JD- this is the most important factor- TIME ENDING SOONEST- Then crazy scziophrenic ebay announces that they want AUCTIONS- ARGGGHHHH!
If ebay wants ''Auctions'' now I think they better Da*M well better give us back time ending soonest as THAT is what is really killing us by the minute!
This is our last year, I am beating the pavement with resumes as I want to get the hell outta here, have a life again after 10 years, be able to SLEEP and see the DR again.
We have sacrificed for ebay- I cannot believe I sacrificed even my MARRIAGE over this stupid site, and it is over. So done with ebay here.....
Most of all I cannot wait to work with PEOPLE again, remember folks, we all used to do other things, and we all did fine before ebay.
I wish everybody great luck.
(Hey Phil and Ming)
Mass Howler

by: TeddyElectron This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 15 21:30:16 2012

Reminds me of the latest FTC filing against Google for manipulating search results. NYT article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/13/technology/ftc-staff-prepares-antitr
ust-case-against-google-over-search.html?ref=technology

by: fadedglitter This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 16 09:14:42 2012

ebay sellers are no doubt being abused by ebay AGAIN! stop whining and leave! do some research,and take the plunge,or gradually move your items off ebay and on to another site,or start your own site! i got kicked off ebay in march 2012 and moved to ETSY and the traffic is consistant and high volume.sales were slow at first,but just like ebay USED to be the more you list the more you sell.check out my etsy site:fadedglitter42263,and also check out my own site:www.qualityvintagecostumejewelry.com.leave ebay asap,you will be so glad you did!

by: wallflower This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 16 09:30:34 2012

fadedglitter - you sure do advertise your websites a lot here. Is that condoned?

by: blaumann This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 16 09:53:09 2012

I am selling almost nothing on my ebay accounts. There is definitely something going on with search and/or other manipulation.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 16 09:55:11 2012

Of course numbers are manipulated. From views to financials. Probably the way bonuses are handed out also. Starts at the board then goes to ceo and down the line. The only honesty you will find in business is probably in small mom & pop shop. Wonder how employees feel when they know numbers are manipulated and they have to go along. (maybe just greatfull that they have a job in this great booming economy.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Tue Oct 16 10:43:14 2012

OP.... eBay is playing games with traffic flow and manipulating search to manage what listings potential buyers see.

eBay obviously lied to everyone when they promised Top Rated Sellers they would receive elevation in search as confirmed by your experience that a new ID is getting more traffic and hits than your established TRS account.

eBay is likely giving new accounts a boost in serach because they can place holds on the payments due to new sellers. Using search to manipulate transaction flow is what eBay is all about these days. They will decide who gets the traffic and subsequent sales based on the goals and whims of eBay management.

A suggestion would be to move your best selling inventory to your new ID.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Tue Oct 16 10:52:09 2012

OP.... eBay is playing games with traffic flow and manipulating search to manage which listings potential buyers see.

eBay obviously lied to everyone when they promised Top Rated Sellers they would receive elevation in search. This can be confirmed by your experience that a new ID is getting more traffic and hits than your established TRS account.

eBay is likely giving new accounts a boost in serach because they can place holds on the payments new sellers receive.

eBay has been using search to manipulate traffic since John Donahoe became CEO. The Masters of Business Assassination will decide who gets the traffic and subsequent sales based on the corporate needs of eBay's management. Currently, they want to build and maintain on hand cash balances so new sellers are benefiting from an increase in traffic shifted their way.

These shady, dishonest, underhanded and manipulative tactics are the reason eBay has changed the User Agreement and automatically defaults users out of being able to participate in Class Action suits against both eBay and PayPal. Be sure to send that letter in to both eBay and PayPal telling them you are not opting out of your right to participate in a class action suit against them.

A suggestion would be to move your best selling inventory to your new ID, vary the listing titles and descriptions just enough to escape the duplicate bots, and see if item sales confirm that eBay is funneling sales through newer seller accounts.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 16 12:43:53 2012

You asked INA and got a lot of screaming hysteria against ebay in general.

I have two ebay sites one for over 12 years one is about 1 year old.

I sell similar items--high end used sportswear vintage items and jewelry and one new item for a rare motorcycle.  With the exception of the bike part I don't choose between sites-I just list til I have used up my items or free listings.s

I see:  On the "New" site MORE VIEWS altho not that many sales.  I DO notice that if something is RELISTED (since sales in general are so bad) that it does seem to ME to sink and fall off the radar.  And I have speculated about this.  This acct has 100% Pos FB.

And YES every time I have to call ebay about SOMETHING it seems like I get  a flurry of sales---almost as if my items were suddenly in the SPOTLIGHT.

On the older account I have 3 Negs over the course of the year two are about to "age off".  One is something that I have been TOLD by ebay is a "False" neg and they keep claiming they will remove it but have not yet--not holding breath.

For some reason this is the site that SEEMS to draw MORE traffic!   I dunno why.  I refuse to do the "14 day/no questions asked returns" so I lost TRS---and noticed an "uptick" in views and sales there for awhile.

Even so---sales are dismal.  I DO see new sellers who are mostly using the darling of ebay: MOBILE DEVICES to list--they seem to be getting a "Pass" on using ANY descriptions or the most paltry ones;  they use NO measurements,  no "Item Specifics" the pics are mostly shoddy and I would shy away from the item if I didn't have a clue as to what it SHOULD look like.  It is also hard to get a question answered by these sellers.  For some reason these seem to be people who list and forget and wander off.  For I suspect mostly "kids" that spend their entire lives texting I dunno WHY it is so HARD for them to TYPE a description or answer a question.

And on some of these accts it is kinda surprising to see SALES.  Where on established accts with great pics and descriptions--nada.

So---for ME---this is the "New ebay"--and it rots.  I have spent the past several days looking at other sites and altho not really "impressed" by either ebid or Bonanza  I would have to say I might lean more towards Bonanza to list the kind of items I have.

The amount of CRABBY buyers seems to have dramatically INCREASED in recent months also.  I just sold a handbag and actually USED the Item Specs and the sizes there were accurate;  buyer asked me to measure another aspect of the item which I did and just got told--"I don't know HOW you measure but this is all WRONG".  Suspect she didn't like the bag once it was at her house so she feels free to return it.  This is the "New ebay"--buyers get to threaten and bully sellers while ebay smirks in their corner.

If ebay WANTED to make money they would repeal the stranglehold "rules" on sellers great and small (altho maybe the larger sellers HAVE no rules?) and let US run OUR business' as we see FIT.  Back when there was the HONEST FEEDBACK system these crabby buyers got weeded OUT of the marketplace.  Was everything perfect?  Nope but it was a heck of a lot easier and better for all--and ebay was raking in the dough.

Now it is pitiful that the company is on it's knees searching under the sofa for change.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Oct 18 07:51:38 2012

1000 items on one eBay site and 25 items on another eBay site.  Very similar items.  One day this week we had NO sales on the 1000 items site and 3 sales on the 25 items site.

How much since does that make?  Absolutely none.  Don't even try to tell me that they don't manipulate search and visibility.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Oct 18 07:52:09 2012

I meant sense, not since.

by: john k This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 18 21:05:07 2012

i do $300,000 in sales annually and over the past few days at night ZERO SALES.  18 page views down from 1000.  Don't tell me it's seasonal.  please.  FIX IT EBAY.

by: tc This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 18 22:39:44 2012

My Omniture stats seem to be the best they've ever been. Did they fix Omniture or is this yet another manipulation? Anyway, I'm lucky if I get a sale every day or two and my sales keep dropping month to month. Sales are very sporadic and if there is a day with multiple sales it's very sporadic. With approximate 850 items, sales should be a consistent number above zero.

by: espresso This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 26 03:31:18 2012

I am having the same problem. Top rated seller, 100% feedback, dsr's 5's and on September 14, all my best match auctions dropped like a rock to the last page of any particular search term. I had to act quickly and troubleshoot. I have another top rated account with half the feedbacks, moved auctions over and all of a sudden im back in best match, sales have taken off. But my main account is suffering big time.

by: espresso This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 5 17:41:43 2012

It appears things just got fix for me on Thursday/Friday. All my auctions are back up in best match and had a great weekend in sales. Something is definetly wrong and they are not acknowledging it. At this time I am fixed. Thought I let everyone know.