Mon Jan 23 2012 19:46:00

Changes Coming to EcommerceBytes Blogs

By: David Steiner

Over the next few days, we'll be rolling out some new features to the blogs on EcommerceBytes.

1) To leave a comment on the blogs, users will need to register with AB-Verify, which requires a valid email address. This will help protect a person's User ID on the blogs so that it cannot be used by multiple users. We launched AB Verify two years ago and it will soon be required in order to post a comment.

2) Users will now have an "account settings" page, where they can:
  • Change their password
  • Opt-in to receive email notifications if there is a response in a thread where they have left a comment.
  • Upload a 50x50 pixel avatar to distinguish their screen persona.
We appreciate the feedback we received over the past month. We considered all perspectives, and feel these updates will enhance the experience on our blogs going forward. We'll also have an upcoming announcement in the next couple of weeks that is rather exciting, so stay tuned.

As always, we'll be watching closely as we make these changes. If you notice any issues, don't hesitate to comment or contact me at dsteiner@ecommercebytes.com

David Steiner

by: AC_in_Mich

Mon Jan 23 20:35:00 2012

Quick Question - how does this work when someone accesses EBytes from Different computers?  I check it in the morning at home with my cup of coffee and then at my work computer.

by: John

Mon Jan 23 20:43:41 2012

Well it has been a pleasure but I will be opting out.
Best regards

Changes Coming to EcommerceBytes Blogs   Changes Coming to EcommerceBytes Blogs

by: Susan Averello This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 23 20:46:52 2012

you'll probably just need to check in on both computers. Once you log in on either, you'll stay logged in you want.

Changes Coming to EcommerceBytes Blogs   Changes Coming to EcommerceBytes Blogs

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Jan 23 20:47:40 2012

I'll bet the LieWorld social propaganda engineers along with our two regular ebay employee contributors will be creating all sorts of new Hotmail and Yahoo email accounts in the next few days.

The paid shills and trolls are still very much with us although they wear marginally better disguises these days.

My hope is that these changes will result in my comments posting in real time rather than the filtering process that's in place most of time due to abuse from other posters who use the same service provider.

P.S. Be sure to catch Ho the Hammer's comments as reported in Red Ink Diary today -- an excellent read comparing and contrasting two very different corporate business models.

This user has validated their user name. by: David Steiner

Mon Jan 23 20:54:00 2012

@AC - Susan is correct, you can log in at either location.

@Ming - This should resolve the delay issue.

Changes Coming to EcommerceBytes Blogs   Changes Coming to EcommerceBytes Blogs

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Mon Jan 23 23:38:40 2012

So let me understand this unusual decision making process which is at play.

Step one, you solicited readers seeking responses and input.

Step two, you took some time to carefully review the input you received.

Step three, you decided on a course of action.

Step four, you announced the new changes clearly, concisely and in advance of implementing them.

Job well done.

If the Billionaires-to-be running eBay were intelligent enough to follow this uncomplicated 4 step process, they would not find themselves looking for the right shade of lipstick to put on their pig in order  to make it appear presentable to their Wall Street masters.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Tue Jan 24 06:14:27 2012

If this blog had a "like" button (hint-hint) I'd have clicked it for Ric's post.

Ric noted: "Hopefully JD and his entire management team will take note of this process. It would serve them better than all the education they allegedly received when they studied for their MBA's."

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Tue Jan 24 08:15:35 2012

Another tweak we'd like to see: Clickable URL's (that don't become malformed if URL is so long that it gets word-wrapped.)

Even if it's not a clickable link... it would be nice if the long (word-wrapped) URL's didn't have a hard carriage-return inserted into the line. That way, we could cut and paste the complete URL in a single shot... instead of having to piece-together two separate lines.

Thanks for all your hard work!

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Tue Jan 24 08:50:08 2012

It will be interesting to see if or how the discourse will change.

Looking forward to my avatar - if I can shrink it down to 50x50.

Changes Coming to EcommerceBytes Blogs   Changes Coming to EcommerceBytes Blogs

This user has validated their user name. by: FidoSysop

Tue Jan 24 09:19:44 2012

Are you going to allow Facebook comments as well?

Easy to implement and will bring a ton more traffic to your site from Facebook. Works well here: www.homefieldsportsgrill.com

This user has validated their user name. by: David Steiner

Tue Jan 24 09:28:16 2012

@annie - noted.

@FidoSysop - We'll review that feature down the road. I can see definite pros and cons to implementing Facebook comments.

This user has validated their user name. by: TheCheapSkirt

Tue Jan 24 14:18:38 2012

Untwisted but can you do something about the emails you send out? I love getting the updates but the font is minuscule on my iPhone.

In fact making your site mobile-friendly overall would be a good thing as more and more people access info online that way.

I know that my next step with my online stores is to move away from ecrater to a format that is both web and mobile friendly.

This user has validated their user name. by: TheCheapSkirt

Tue Jan 24 14:20:57 2012

Well I thought I typed "unrelated", not "untwisted". Another casualty to phone typing and autocorrect! Maybe an edit feature would be nice ;-)

by: AC_in_Mich

Tue Jan 24 16:15:19 2012

Ok, so I signed up back in Aug of 2010 for AB Verify.  I forgot my password and when I go to the ''Get AB Verified'' link it won't allow me to register as there is already me registered.  I don't see any place to get my password sent to me or to log in - what am I missing?

This user has validated their user name. by: David Steiner

Tue Jan 24 16:29:28 2012

@AC - If you forgot your password, use the link at bottom of the Log In page (undeneath the button) to retrieve it:

wd

Changes Coming to EcommerceBytes Blogs   Changes Coming to EcommerceBytes Blogs

by: AC_in_Mich This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 24 16:32:47 2012

Thanks David!

Changes Coming to EcommerceBytes Blogs   Changes Coming to EcommerceBytes Blogs

by: keeping an eye on them ALL

Tue Jan 24 19:23:57 2012

Ditto what Ric said.

Ina, David, exactly what are you two doing here, trying to spoil us by showing us how a REAL professional site/team does things?!

We'd almost forgotten how all that worked in the real world, right?

by: Rich

Tue Jan 24 20:39:52 2012

I wouldn't post anymore. Being forced to join any site or be "verified" isn't for me.  I'd guess 30% or more of the comments will disappear. Good luck

by: Tekgems

Tue Jan 24 22:06:18 2012

Perhaps you'll reduce the trolls and whiners this way. Anonymity has it's downside. Maybe people will be more civil.

by: pete

Wed Jan 25 01:36:24 2012

not interested in anywhere i have to give out my info.
I have posted here for almost 5 years, thanks but no thanks