Fri Sept 2 2011 00:05:35

eBay Puts Dupe-Listing Warning System in Place

Be warned - eBay is rolling out new functionality to the site next week to prevent sellers from listing duplicate items. eBay prohibits sellers from listing duplicate items as part of its Fixed-Price Duplicate Listing policy, and the new functionality is designed to automatically detect dupes.

But just because eBay doesn't detect the dupe during the listing process doesn't mean eBay won't remove it later - eBay explains:

"If the listing is later identified as a duplicate through a review process, eBay will immediately end the listing. The first time this happens, we will refund the listing fees. After that, your listings will be ended and your listing fees will be retained."

eBay implemented this version of the dupes policy last fall in order "to prevent search results from being dominated by multiple duplicate listings of the same item from the same seller" -  you can read more in this blog post.

Let us know if and when you encounter this new feature and tell us if it's a help or a hindrance.

eBay Puts Dupe-Listing Warning System in Place   eBay Puts Dupe-Listing Warning System in Place

by: scissors

Fri Sep 2 00:42:20 2011

Royal pain. Started about 2 weeks ago. I have gotten 4 of these removals now and they are not quite accurate. One was the same item - but with 2 very different shipping costs given my desire to see if ''free ship'' over actual would make a difference. The others were diff amount of fabric. Therefore these are not the ''same thing''. So thumbs down to this. BTW no fees returned either. As usual say one thing, do another.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Fri Sep 2 00:50:17 2011

TurboLister and Scheduled Listings are notorious for double listings. The other day, TL listed the same items on two consecutive days even though Day 1's folder had been deleted after the first upload.

As far as I'm concerned, this is another way for ebay to enhance their bottom line by refusing to fix software that double lists and then refusing to refund fees when it happens.

Do this several millions of times every month, and its adds up to real money.

The people who come up these policies and practice are patently despicable and beneath contempt.

Burn in hell, ebay.

by: Anya Ponomareva

Fri Sep 2 03:20:22 2011

It's absolutely inaccurate.  I have had six listings pulled, no refund of fees, and my ''compliance rating'' lowered.  NONE of the six listings were duplicates.  All six were for books where I had both the hardcover and softcover version available for sale, DIFFERENT ISBN numbers.  Anywhere in the world those are considered DIFFERENT books.  But of course, eBay makes up their own rules, they don't have to make sense, they don't have to be along the lines of industry standards, they don't have to be fair, and they certainly don't care whether they are leal.

by: John

Fri Sep 2 06:13:56 2011

Best match, and this, who's duping who

by: Marvin

Fri Sep 2 06:37:02 2011

''your listing fees will be retained''? What law firm told you that was legal? Huey, Duey and Louie attorneys at large?

Another money grab so you can pull the wool over every ones eyes and say look how much money we make buy our stock. By the time you get sued or fined, you of course have taken in far more than you will ever have to pay out.

Nice scam johnny, cancel listings keep the money and charge them to re-list but don't throw no body off because then you can't keep canceling their listings and keeping the money.

If the law ever wises up and comes after you crooks and sooner or later it will this is going to be the story of the century.

@ Ming
Burn in hell, ebay. That would be perfect for T-Shirt and bumper stickers.

by: PleaseRespondJohn

Fri Sep 2 06:56:37 2011

Open question to John Donahoe, CEO of eBay

Cancel listings and keep the fee
Paypal holds
Interest off frozen paypal accounts
Refund buyer with a paypal credit
Keep money in user accounts for long periods after they close it
Automatically freezing and tying up users paypal account if ebay dispute is filed.

What I would like to ask is just how much of the money you report making is off actual buying and selling and how much of it you just take from users any way you can?

Care to answer that?

by: Nicole

Fri Sep 2 10:28:53 2011

As both a seller and a buyer, I'm not quite getting the rationale behind this new 'function'. I've purchased from many a seller that had more than one of the same item and...so? As long as they have the item that I clicked the BIN for(which they always have), I don't see the big deal, or why this new 'upgrade is necessary.

This user has validated their user name. by: elpereles

Fri Sep 2 11:31:17 2011

As a buyer. I saw it happening in electronics a lot. It looks like finally somebody over there see the problem when you made a search. For example I don't like to make a search for an item get 800 results to find that more than 300 items is the same item from the same seller. I saw how many of them play with the system. They add the same item, but change the price by cents in difference or do the same with S&H. Also they play with the other of the words in the tittle. If the item I'm searching isn't a emergency needed I stopped my search every time. So it means a potential sale lost.

As a seller. My focus isn't electronics. So good luck to anybody that like to add duplicates or want to see their listing lost in a sea of duplicates.

PD
Let not forget that some companies are trying to save some money in server space.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Fri Sep 2 13:33:00 2011

Some Bonanza t-shirt and sweatshirt seller ought to make T shirts and sweatshirts with a photo of The Ho's smirking face with his TOTAL annual compensation under it surrounded by flames and a caption reading, Corporate tax evader, Burn in Hell, Ebay.

And make sure the color scheme is red, blue, yellow, and green. Just don't reproduce their logo. The Ho is public figure so his photo is fair game.

The SEC site can be checked to see how much stock The Ho sold last year which when added to his obscene salary would be his annual compensation.

Also I'd pay extra for something on back like "Ebay, corporate tax evader." I want people coming and going to see the message when I wear the shirt.

Craigslist would be another good venue. Just let us all know when and where.

Two-four-six-eight: Who should we eviscerate?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Fri Sep 2 16:05:52 2011

LOL!

It used to be the items didn't show up in search. Now they PULL THEM, they don't show up at all, you still pay

plus

you get a policy violation.

Do you still think you aren't wanted?!?

by: epatsy

Fri Sep 2 16:46:06 2011

This is a fair solution by eBay...

eBay has the sellers best interests at heart...

You should assimilate...

Dye your hair in eBay colors...

This is a recording. This is a recording. This is a recording...

by: sassy seamstress

Fri Sep 2 19:52:05 2011

Honestly, I am so sick of ebay and their rules, fees, and more fees.  Selling or not, my last items.  Have been a seller since 2008 and it is nothing like it was then.

But as usual the big guy has you buy the short hairs.  I love webstore but not enough traffic.  You have to drum it up yourself through facebook and your own promotions.

I have listed a few items but selling more in person.  It's handmade items so I need enough items to make Etsy's work for me.

Anyone else use webstore and if so have you sold any thing.

Sassy

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Sep 5 16:38:12 2011

If ebay's defective lsiting platforms double list any of your items, report it and demand a refund.

If ebay refuses to issue a refund, file a complaint with the San Jose BBB.

don't expect anything to come of us, but ebay has to pay someone to respond to the complaint.

Ebafia'sout that refusing to refund a nickel is less expensive than having to pay someone California wages to answer to a mountain of complaints.

The complaint forms are available online. It will be well worth the five minutes that it takes to complete form.

This entire fiasco demonstrates that ebay is interested only in punishing sellers rather than providing enough good tools to help make sellers successful.

Before this policy went into effect, ebay gave sellers a link to a program that would find the dupes.

Since ebay's poorly written code causes many of the dupes to occur, it seems only fair that ebay restore this link so that sellers can check after their items index and eliminated any duplicate items.

But ebafia is a like an abusive, authoritarian father who prefers revenge and punishment.

by: Departing seller

Mon Sep 5 19:14:38 2011

Duplicates?  No problem.

With only 50 free listings per month, we really don't use eBay much.

Even with 2 accounts we just couldn't be bothered to produce 100 listings last month.

When eBay isn't an afterthought for us, it's a nuisance.

With the sell through rate we see there and the dismal bidding activity, it's more like ImpotentBay.

EBay wanted to be more like Amazon... and wanted us to sell in a more 'Amazon-like' setting.  So while eBay struggles to be more like Amazon we are approaching the 2,500 mark for our Amazon listings.
BEST OF ALL... NO LISTING FEES ON AMAZON.
EBay can stick that in their pipe, light their ''best match'', and smoke it.

by: Ross

Tue Sep 6 12:35:34 2011

Is there a lawfirm out there who would be willing to take on a Class Action Suit against eBay for illegally keeping fees when they have cancelled listings? If they cancel listings, they must be legally obligated to return the fees. This is such a scam. I am confident there would be no end of people who would contest and participate in this Class Action. Posting such an intent on this blog would be a great place to start.

by: crackersplace

Wed Sep 7 21:49:39 2011

I received a couple of the duplicate warning messages.  They said that as long as a Sell atleast 30% of all my listings no action would be taken.

Although I was still ok it did aggravate me just to receive this type of email.  I listed a few things with this last sale, and made sure not to included duplicates.  I noticed people bid a little higher on one of my items because I didn't have multiple ones out there.  I guess that is the only positive thing, but now I have to make some second chance offers and hope people accept them.

Too much Crap I need bigger boots!!

I am probably going to cancel my eBay store, and move my items onto my on Bonanza Booth !!