Thu June 16 2011 13:04:12

Details of eBay's New Facebook Social Shopping Feature

eBay is coming to Facebook in a new way - eBay Marketplaces VP Christopher Payne announced a new social shopping feature during his keynote address at the Internet Retailer conference on Wednesday. He provided me with the screenshots used in his presentation.

The first screenshot shows how the shopper would use the feature. In this case, the shopper has placed two dresses into a "tray" visible at the bottom of their screen.

The user sees the social layer, which serves as a collection mechanism during browsing/shopping and can be collapsed at any time. Any item shown in the layer can immediately be liked or unliked, and other actions include:

- Watch this
- Add to list
- Get opinion
- Recommend

Christopher told me the Facebook integration is not limited to the fashion category.

The second screenshot shows what a Facebook user would see in their messages if one of their friends invited them to vote on which item they liked best. They can vote on an item and can also suggest another eBay item.

In his keynote, Christopher called social a "hallmark opportunity" - eBay wants to leverage social networks to enable commerce. He said eBay believes shopping is inherently social, and social is one of reasons eBay took off in the first place.

eBay wants to reintroduce the conversational aspect of shopping. "I don't think anyone has cracked this. We're trying to figure out what works."

He told me that everyone should be experimenting. eBay's group-buying gift feature that allows friends to pool money for an eBay item using Facebook has yet to reach critical mass, "I think that's true of social right now."

He said a lot of companies are just putting their stores on Facebook, but he doesn't see much customer benefit to that. "Our philosophy is to try a whole bunch of things" in the social space.

That could include YouTube and Twitter - see today's AuctionBytes Newsflash for more on that! Let us know what you think of eBay's efforts in social commerce.

Details of eBay's New Facebook Social Shopping Feature   Details of eBay's New Facebook Social Shopping Feature

by: Tony DeLuca

Thu Jun 16 13:14:53 2011

"He said eBay believes shopping is inherently social..." Yeah, I guess if you're 12 years old and mall crawling with your friends. As a 42 year old man do I really need my friends to shop with me or vote on what eBay purchase I should make? This social networking thing is getting out of hand.

by: Pwb

Thu Jun 16 13:45:51 2011

Yeah, that's a weird comment since for half the population or more it's inherently not social.

by: MR ME

Thu Jun 16 15:14:47 2011

Like several failing companies, eBay is chasing "the next big thing" , social networking was last years big thing..... New Coke , anyone ?

by: SSS

Thu Jun 16 17:33:13 2011

I agree with the previous posters, the ''let's link EVERYTHING to Facebook'' trend is just annoying. Plus after dealing with a few psychos on ebay, I hardly want buyers or sellers to have access to any more information about me than they already do. Seriously.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Jun 16 19:51:05 2011

Chris Pain must live on a different planet and work for a different ebay than the one we ll know and despise.

Clearly he has NO idea of how ebay.com really works.

If he did, the LAST thing he'd want would be to inflict yet another venue for buyers to make really stupid comments, ask questions answered in the product descriptions, and make low ball offers.

If an ebay member needs peer approval to buy, I don't want that member as a customer. The shallow end of the user and management ebay gene pool is already big enough trouble for sellers.

Do we really need a group of people deciding whether Mary Sue should buy that ugly green dress, a group people deciding feedback, and a group of people determining DSRs?

If Mary Sue can't figure out whether to buy something all by her little self, why does ebay think she's smart enough to leave accurate feedback and DSRs?

Pain, ebafia/PreyPal is one the most HATED brands in America and with good reason.

Why don't you figure out how to attract new customers instead of figuring out new ways for current members to shop?

Facebook MAY work for some sellers, but by and large I don't think most people go to Facebook to buy. They go there to, surprise, SOCIALIZE such as online socializing is.

Just like The Mobile Ho concept ebay continues to target its shrinking membership base rather than apologizing, giving restitution to wronged sellers, and recovering some of the unused "active" users (who aren't active and haven't been for years but the inflated numbers look good to the see no evil banksters) and recruit completely new users.

Money spent doing this would reap far greater financial rewards for all than paying this overpaid MBA buffoon to invent something few want or really need.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Jun 16 19:55:42 2011

Whoops! I forgot!

Most of us won't have to worry about Facebook nonsense beause ebay will never show our products.

Facebook exposure will be confined to those Diamonds the god Ho annoints just as Daily Deals and coupons are denied to most ebay sellers.

Drop dead, DonaHO.

by: Failure, Stage 4

Thu Jun 16 20:41:00 2011

The search for magic bullets continues...
LOL

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Thu Jun 16 21:50:47 2011

If you just go to the upper right corner of their Facebook posting, there is an ''x'' - click on that.

Then select ''mark as spam'' - that will solve your problem.

by: why be social?

Thu Jun 16 21:58:24 2011

A sinking ship jumping on a soon to be has been idea.

Facebook has already peaked, and is losing members rapidly, 6 million last month alone in the US.

You can always tell when something like facebook has passed its prime. Sites like ebay finally catch on to it and think its the next big thing.
When its already on its way out.
I'm suprised ebay isnt going after myspace instead, lol.

Its like a sinking ship (ebay) clinging on to a raft with a hole in it (facebook).

Good luck with that. And I dont get why these sites like ebay think that people want to be social when they shop.
Its like a contradiction: "hey you stop shopping and be social".

I cant wait to see the penalties ebay imposes on their sellers for not be social enough.
Were sorry but you dont have enough FB likes, your suspended.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Fri Jun 17 00:46:22 2011

Don't even joke about it; some of their idiot trolls do read AB and are likely to report that that is what users actually want.

What you should know about the clunky PayPal:

What you should know about the criminal facilitator eBay:

Enron / eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking.

by: ED

Fri Jun 17 06:19:42 2011

eBay's Social Shopping Feature will only mean higher fees for sellers, Since ebay has one of the worst reputations on the internet will sellers benefit from this or will they just end up paying more fees?

by: Pete Bruckshaw

Fri Jun 17 08:33:41 2011

In competition with this is the new social media/free listing auction network called Copious. It's been co-founded by Jonathan Ehrlich, former Head of Marketing for Facebook. Unlike most of us here, I think there's a lot of people who love the idea of combining a shopping experience with a social media platform.

by: zvicki

Fri Jun 17 12:10:00 2011

Well, this is just a "STUPID" idea! you can already post your ebay listings on Facebook for FREE. I have a few friends on the site that do this, and personally I find it annoying. Just what one needs, more junk to clutter up your facebook wall - It's ridiculous!
I signed up to see what the "copious" peeps were doing, and I don't think it looks very promising. I'm not going to list on there.

by: MR ME

Fri Jun 17 14:03:30 2011

Wow what a mess, eBay was cool in 1999 , now its just a drooling moron tripping over its own three feet.

by: MR ME

Fri Jun 17 14:07:29 2011

I like the semi-anonymous nature of selling online, the worst thing to do is lend money or sell a car to a "friend"

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 17 14:45:31 2011

I guess ebay finally woke up to the fact that a lot of us are showing our ebay listings on Facebook.  I do it and have made sales from it.  Wherever they can sniff out another dollar - that's where they'll go.  Fact is, ebay is becoming less and less relevant.

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 17 14:47:14 2011

I might add I also show my Webstore, Bonanza, Boocoo, Overstock and Etsy listings on Ebay - which is why I said Ebay is becoming less and less relevant...and I'm sure they know it!

by: Tired of eBay's Bullsh*t This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 17 15:04:45 2011

One more GIMMICK from JD & The Morons.

And now that eBay has all but abandoned the Antiques & Collectibles market (and been, in turn, largely abandoned by those sellers), and instead is focusing on the direct-from-China barcoded stuff, this new FB feature might be just the thing.

Hey! If I can get JD to accept my friend request on FB, I'll be able to voice my opinion about his upcoming Chinese-made underwear purchase on eBay.

Way cool !!!

- Tired of eBay's Bullsh*t

by: gonefromebay

Fri Jun 17 15:15:15 2011

Never mix business with socializing because you will lose friends fast.

I can see the new social DSR coming soon ... one star because seller didn't answer question before it was asked.

by: Rich

Fri Jun 17 16:51:50 2011

Facebook won't deliver much of anything with Ebay; not for me; I'm not even on facebook.  Who wants to sell to friends they have on facebook anyway?  Is that what this is?  Selling to facebook friends?    Maybe I'm missing something; I don't know.  Maybe someone can explain or a follow up can explain if this is just advertising to each person's facebook friends?