Tue May 24 2011 16:37:04

eBay Sellers Unable to Send Post-Transaction Emails

Some sellers are feeling like eBay "moved their cheese" today, reporting they are unable to send emails to buyers as they had previously been able to do. The change is part of eBay's Spring Seller Updates - eBay classified the creation of a new "communications hub" under "Updates to boost your efficiency and profitability."

Sellers wrote about the inability to send emails to buyers, and an inability to view emails that eBay sends to their buyers on their behalf. See discussions in the eBay discussion boards and on AuctionBytes' EcommerceEKG Technical Issues board. Here is  a link to information about the new eBay Communications Hub from April.

While eBay's announcement stated, "You can now see the emails that eBay sends to buyers after a transaction in one location, a new "Manage communications with buyers" page in My eBay," sellers are reporting today that they are unable to view the emails their buyers are getting from eBay.

One seller wrote that she had set up preferences so eBay would send her a copy of emails sent to her buyers. "Guess what, my ebay isn't showing that they sent my buyer anything and I don't have any copy of anything. It has been just over 4 hrs. How long can it take for an automated message to be sent?"

She went on to say, "I feel like I am slacking, that is bound to get worse when I can't send the "Your package shipped" message."

Let us know your thoughts on the changes, and if you are experiencing technical issues with the new feature, please report them on the EcommerceEKG board.

eBay Sellers Unable to Send Post-Transaction Emails   eBay Sellers Unable to Send Post-Transaction Emails

by: bri

Tue May 24 17:30:44 2011

Just spoke again with ebay "customer service" and was told there is no option in the "new
communication hub" for sellers to recieve copies of emails sent to
buyers on their  behalf, in this case shipping notices.  They "understand my concern and will pass the feedback along to the team"

by: Rupert Pupkin

Tue May 24 17:44:23 2011

"They "understand my concern and will pass the feedback along to the team""

And the team will pass your feedback directly into the shredder.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Tue May 24 17:56:16 2011

This appears to be eBay's way of letting the Sellers know that they're doing too good with communication skills... so they move the goalposts and make it more difficult. (Gee, I wonder what their motivation could be for doing that??)

by: Mary Doubtfire

Tue May 24 18:17:42 2011

I don't believe this will have much of an effect on how I currently communicate with my customers. All post-sale communication (ie: shipping confirmation) is sent directly to the buyer's email address as it appears in their Paypal receipt.

I realize this type of direct communication is ''off the books'' and ''out of the loop'' when it comes to the eBay message system, but so far it's worked well for me. Just an extra cut-and-paste of an email address into a boilerplate confirmation message.

An added benefit for me is that by sending this final communication directly (instead of going through eBay) I can freely and openly invite that customer to visit my web site, and not have to worry that it will get flagged or rejected by whatever filter system they have in place, if any.

For those sellers who have consistently played by the rules and used the eBay message system, I think that this latest move by eBay is a CHEAP SHOT that is intended to harm small seller's DSR scores. At first glance, someone might be tempted to believe that this was an ill-conceived and poorly-planned change.

I think the reality is just the opposite. I think that they knew EXACTLY what they were doing and they knew EXACTLY what the results would be, and they knew EXACTLY what the consequences would be for small sellers.

It's just one thing after another after another. It never stops, does it? Absolutely disgusting!

by: dan's parts

Tue May 24 20:28:16 2011

I had an inkling something like this was about to happen when I got eBay's ''warning'' email the other day.

It was not a surprise when I went looking for the link to email a Buyer this morning, and found no way to do so in the eBay Message System.

Just another way to continue to disconnect us from OUR customers (i.e. not THEIRS).  The less connection to our customers, the lower our DSR's for communication.  Now don't you think that was planned?

I'm trying to figure out an easy way to use the email addresses (the REAL ones) that are garnered after the auctions so that I can continue to send a personal message that their parts have shipped.  At the moment, I haven't found anything ''easy''.

Thanks eBay, once again, for nothing.  Nothing that helps me, only helps you.

On a similar note, has anyone noticed that you cannot search for a particular Buyer in your My Messages any more?  The emails are all there, but you have to scroll through hundreds of them to find one from a month ago.  No way to search.  At least I can't find one.

I think I'll probably have that same old nightmare again tonight - you know, the one where I'm a rat on a sinking ship...

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Tue May 24 20:29:19 2011

Step 1. eBay has buyers rate sellers with DSR scores on communication.

Step 2. eBay removes/makes it inconvenient for sellers to communicate with buyers.

Step 3. Buyers still are able to rate seller, but now, based on communications sent by eBay, not the seller.

Step 4. Buyers lower DSR left for sellers because they are not communicating or eBay communications are not personalized.

Step 5. Sellers watch as their TRS ratings decline, eliminating them from eligibility to receive 20% discounts on Final Value Fees.

Step 6. eBay increases their profits based on hundreds - thousands of sellers who are no longer eligible for discounts because of eBay's actions.

Step 7. John Donahoe persuades his Wall Street masters that the fourth year of his three year turn around plan is producing higher eBay profits when in reality all he has done is increase fees again & again and eliminate discounts.

How much more out of touch with users can a company be?

Oh yeah, the real reason behind it all....

Step 8. John Donahoe cashes in  another 667 thousand shares of eBay stock and takes the eBay jet to his bank for a quick deposit.

This user has validated their user name. by: Nan

Tue May 24 20:40:35 2011

Yeah.  I'll be going back to communicating with my buyers by direct email, where I can add a link to my website.  Who knows what ebay is going to be sending out with my name attached to it.  If I do it myself, I know it will be done correctly and on time.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue May 24 20:45:32 2011

"Ebay is only a venue."

"We don't take part in transactions."

I suspect ebafia has far worse things in mind for this year ("The Year of of the Seller," said The Ho.) now that sellers for all intents and purposes can no longer file class actions.

by: Linda

Tue May 24 21:30:52 2011

Just saw this update from Griff posted about 3 hours ago on Facebook:
An update: I just confirmed that the Contact Buyer link in the drop down menu for Selling Manager and Selling Manager Pro was unintentionally dropped (a bug). It was not meant to be removed and will be returned as an option in the next 24 hours. You will be able to contact individual buyers at your discretion using this option: (Sold view > Drop Down under Actions > Contact Buyer.)

by: dan's parts

Tue May 24 21:48:11 2011

A bug?  That would be interesting.  Even more to actually hear eBay admit a mistake.

I'll still be having the rat on a sinking ship nightmare, though...

by: Jeff S

Tue May 24 22:07:15 2011

You are all now social networking sellers.  Just ask eBay.

by: Harriet This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 24 22:32:01 2011

Stop obsessing about all of this stupid nonsense. Set up your own store on eCrater.com. There is none of this there. And I am getting very good sales there, for those nay-sayers. It is just such a breath of fresh air.

by: Smitty This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 25 00:03:41 2011

Ina,

The title for this thread;

eBay Sellers Unable to Send Post-Transaction Emails.

is a bit misleading.

Every ebay seller can send an email to their buyer anytime they choose to.

The email a seller receives from ebay such as;

Your eBay item sold! Vintage Blue Widget with Orange Tassels (123456789123)

always contains the buyer's email address. The seller can always send a email to the buyer at that email address.

If what this thread is about is the ebay message system, those messages have never been emails. They are, and have always been, messages that ebay may or may not forward (To send on to a subsequent destination or address.) at their choosing.

If you recall, I tried to explain that to a real hardhead in the not too distant past.

Don't feel too bad though. Everytime I order a cup of coffee the sweet young thing asks if I want cream and I say yes. Then she shows up with coffee whitener. It just goes downhill from there.

Smitty

by: Rita

Wed May 25 01:21:32 2011

I tried to email a buyer to let her know I had given her a refund.  It took me a while, but I discovered that the listing has a link Contact Buyer.  Emailed her directly about her refund with no problem.

by: missy

Wed May 25 02:49:41 2011

It's the "payment received" or the "shipping email" and all the other emails in Selling Manager Pro that are no longer there is what is upsetting people.

While the "contact us" link was a conern (AFTER the fact of the missing SMP emails) they did find out that was a bug and it will be back.

Most people are upset about the email templates in Selling manager pro that are gone and no longer have these "templates" in place to use.

How the h*ll does eBay know when I will ship? Is ebay gonna remind my buyer that Monday is a holiday? So orders coming in on Saturday will have to wait until Tuesday...will eBay inform/remind buyer of this...I think NOT!
Let us run our own business!!

by: another side of the coin

Wed May 25 04:55:01 2011

As long as eBay still allows DSRs from buyers regarding communication and shipping, I will find a way to contact my buyers to give them this information. I don't trust eBay to send any notifications on a consistent basis. Besides when Buyers pay, at the top and the bottom, is a reminder that they have Buyer Protection from all these crooked sellers.

by: Scotty

Wed May 25 07:48:20 2011

My original point to this was ebay indicated they were removing the user created ''custom'' e-mails.  They did not indicate they were removing e-mail functionality in its entirety.  Of the many bone-headed moves, this is near the top in my list (only topped by DSR's and the Feedback restrictions). I think JD has been watching too many episodes of ''Mad Men'' and would like to revert ebay back to 1960.  What's next, we have to send a piece of ''correspondence'' through the USPS to each buyer to let them know their item has been shipped?  My final shipping process time has now jumped four-fold as I have to cut and paste each mail to each buyer, etc.  Even after I create some templates this weekend in my off-ebay e-mail system, it will still have increased the work effort.  Maybe this is what they wanted all along....death by a thousand cuts...this is cut 786 of 1000.

by: Harriet This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 25 09:32:41 2011

to "another side"

Please expand on your statement and its meaning

"Besides when Buyers pay, at the top and the bottom, is a reminder that they have Buyer Protection from all these crooked sellers."

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed May 25 13:45:32 2011

FWIW, I interpreted another side's comment about crooked sellers as sarcasm since ebay never misses an opportunity to tell buyers how they can get free merchandise through their "Protect Your Access to Free Merchandise" program.

Off Topic:

Please note ebay's stock decline of more than 10% in the last week -- the San Jose dons must be wanting to take a few of their millions and buy back more stock.

Once done we'll see ebay stock go up again and these criminals will be selling their stock.

I want to know who inside ebay illegally gave Raj Rajaratnam's (recently convicted of many counts of illegal trading)  brother information about pending massive ebay layoffs.

This Wall Street leech used this information to illegally make money, and he is far from the only one doing it. More are on the way.

Hear that, San Jose?

by: Scotty

Wed May 25 15:04:46 2011

@Ming

That would truly be a thing of beauty....to watch JD do the ''perp walk''.  I cannot even begin to express the joy that would overcome me to see that....it would be a brand new day for me.