Tue Apr 12 2011 23:05:48

Etsy to Post Users' Real Names in Discussion Forums

Etsy plans to add users' real names to the forums for those users who shared their real names in their public profiles. The disclosure came in a discussion about privacy issues ("An Important Privacy Question for Etsy - Opt-IN VS Opt-OUT").

Etsy founder and CEO Rob Kalin said the company would display public information in all areas of the site. "For example, we'll be adding real names to the forums, for people who have their real names on their profile."

The decision is surprising, since many users on industry discussion boards are careful to hide their identity through special "posting IDs" to prevent other participants from wreaking havoc on their product listings should they disagree with their opinions.

Etsy spokesperson Christina Batch-Lee said today there was not a lot more to share at this time, and according to Kalin, the reasoning behind the decision could be found in the forum post. "There is no date attached to the project at this point," she said.

The original thread was started by a user on Thursday evening who was asking about Etsy's privacy policy, which has come under fire of late due to new policies and features aimed at making the site more social.

"Will Etsy make the default settings for all privacy related information and features "OPT-IN" ? If not, why?" the user asked.

Kalin and another administrator participated in the discussion thread on Friday. At the time of this blog post (Tuesday evening), the thread was 24 pages, and neither Kalin nor moderators had returned to the thread to answer followup questions.

Etsy to Post Users' Real Names in Discussion Forums   Etsy to Post Users' Real Names in Discussion Forums

by: pete

Tue Apr 12 23:22:40 2011

The more immunity a person has on the internet the better…it will defiantly come back to haunt those who are complacent

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Apr 12 23:44:08 2011

As soon as someone is financially or physically hurt as a s result of this latest Kalin absurdity, the sooner this idiot's grand social experiments will end.

You'd better run this by some lawyers, Kalin, and set the default as opt out. Otherwise you could easily end up getting your wise acre britches sued off your bum.

by: Rich

Tue Apr 12 23:51:49 2011

I don't sell on Etsy and doubt I would since their CEO sounds like a real idiot. This is as dumb as it gets.  Amazon will remain Ebay's only real competitor

by: kw

Tue Apr 12 23:56:57 2011

I don't sell on Etsy at this time, but this policy insures that I never will.  What is he thinking!?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Tue Apr 12 23:59:08 2011

And to think that all this time I operated under the assumption that eBay's brain trust had cornered the market on self defeating policy implementation.

Go figure..

by: Julie

Wed Apr 13 00:14:51 2011

If you don't enter your name in your public profile, it won't show.  My full name is not public anywhere on the site, nor will it be.  You can make the choice.

by: another side of the coin

Wed Apr 13 01:09:16 2011

It's obvious he is trying to emulate Mark Zuckerberg. He probably has watched The Social Network a million times. However forcing all Etsy users into his delusion of becoming the next Facebook is just wrong, wrong, wrong. I guess everyone will either stop posting or the eventually shi#t will hit the fan.

by: name showing

Wed Apr 13 04:26:07 2011

only if you use your name in your  profile will it show in forums. so this IS AN OPT IN.

since there's always a link back to a shop, anyway from a poster i'm not sure what the big deal is.

btw, this "asshat" kalin is sure doing well compared to all you experts.

by: JewelryOnTheRocks This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 13 05:05:21 2011

Kalin is a pathetic little weasel whose family connections and low cunning have put him in the position to abuse hundreds of thousands of people. And he has no qualms about whose life he wrecks, either. If you think you're safe from his nefarious plans because you're one of the "golden children" you may wish to rethink that thought. I doubt there's a single seller on Etsy that he wouldn't throw under the bus if the payoff was right.

by: A. Nonymous

Wed Apr 13 05:31:56 2011

One word: "pseudonyme." Why anyone would share serious information with veritable strangers is beyond me. Of, course, a lot is beyond me. I think there is some serious confusion over the use of the word "friends."

by: Watching the Wheels

Wed Apr 13 05:35:44 2011

@ name showing,

Hi name,

What an odd choice, that your parents made in naming you. Funny, I don't recall seeing you anywhere within Etsy, either. I would think that such a unique name choice would have been remembered by me.

You poor delusional creature, everything within Etsy with regards to privacy is OPT OUT.

Thankyou, once again Ina, for providing the opportunity for people to safely have their say about the continual bizarro manifestations of a clearly certifable CEO and the company he is hell bent upon destroying.

by: April Showers

Wed Apr 13 07:21:30 2011

Ugh! Yuk! What a horrible decision!

Many of their sellers may go along with it, but I'm sure that many sellers will leave because of it. And potential new sellers will think-twice before diving in.

I'm not sure what they hope to accomplish with this move. Perhaps this level of ''transparency'' may help to discourage fraud and abuse from those few dishonest folks who use the relative anonymity to their benefit. But it seems to me that it will likely SCARE OFF more honest sellers than it will to deter the dishonest ones.

Honest sellers will fell vulnerable and will simply walk away or not join. Conversely, the dishonest sellers are DETERMINED and will simply find a way to continue and hide their identities.

by: STOP IMPOSING YOUR FAILED INNOVATION ON US JD

Wed Apr 13 07:37:57 2011

Seems to me like Etsy admires John Donahoe, and is trying to see how they can make it worse for their users in differen't ways than eBay does for their users

Won't affect me, NOTHING sells for me over at Etsy, 1 sale every 4 moths is hardly thriving, may even cancel my account on Etsy, it does not work for me

by: STOP IMPOSING YOUR FAILED INNOVATION ON US JD

Wed Apr 13 07:45:42 2011

One more thing, I can truthfully tell you as an eBay sellers for well over a decade this is a bad move.

Most people are nice, but there really is internet psychopaths out there, sorry but this is not a good idea.

Weirdos who get obsessed with others, unreasonable buyers ( One told me one time to always look behind me cause he was coming to get me ) I do, and always will, all that threat for a $20 product that cost well over $100 in any store, but buyers remorse and plain psychopathic rage, made that threat to me

I would NEVER want my name displayed for any old person to see who I am in a selling environment

Think if this was around when Ted Bundy was around, he would of loved seeing people and their names to find out where they were

BAD MOVE ETSY !

by: Barlow

Wed Apr 13 08:50:04 2011

Sure, it's opt-in if you don't already have your name on your profile, But many people who signed up for Etsy accounts thought they were required to have their real names on their profiles and when they try to get them removed, they run into a brick wall. They claim you can simply ask to get it removed, but in practice, it's not happening. Etsy needs to realize that many people are trying to run actual businesses and want to promote their brand, not their real name. Etsy users do not all fit into one small, homogeneous model. Too bad Kalin and company don't understand that. Maybe if he'd actually studied business instead of playing Facebook copycat.....

by: Kevin

Wed Apr 13 08:55:06 2011

Wow...I don't sell on Etsy, and would not even consider it now.

This guy must have gone to the Ebay school of management.

Bet the Ebay folks are kicking themselves that this guy upstaged them!  Guess Ebay doesn't have a monopoly on stupid ideas

by: earthegy

Wed Apr 13 09:44:59 2011

Once again, they're completely disregarding the concerns of artists who sell there that wish to maintain some level of privacy.  Did they stop to think about how many of their users are female?   Some of those women have had stalkers in the past, and very valid reasons to maintain some level of anonymity while trying to make a living on their site.

What's next?  Will addresses be made public too?  Phone numbers?  At what point will etsy become accountable for their actions?  Hopefully it won't be after someone is hurt.

by: Harriet This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 13 09:59:27 2011

eCrater.com is a no nonsense, straight arrow site to sell on. I've found it to be an excellent choice for those who are sick of these types of moves. I believe we just want to sell and don't want to have a social relationship with people to do that, except for that which happens within the transaction itself.

I don't know what Rob Kalin is thinking about, maybe he is going to turn the site into a Facebook rival. He needs some maturity.

by: Gifted Designs

Wed Apr 13 10:13:51 2011

Yes, entering your name in the field provided is optional....unfortunately, not everyone is begin TOLD it's optional...there's a convenient little bug on that little tid-bit of info when registering and some people have no clue their names will be public until the damage is done.

As for why using a name is not a good idea. That's simple.

Etsy is a selling site. Not a social network.

I don't want people thinking of me as Shannon Rochon...I want people thinking of me as Gifted Designs, that girl who sells really beautiful OOAK jewelry.

I'm there for my business first and the social aspects second...not the other way around.

Do I actually care if my real name is out there? Obviously not. But I DO care that people know my SHOP on Etsy far more than they know my NAME.

That is why this is a problem for many people.

by: EtsyBitch This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 13 11:20:30 2011

Kalin does what he wants. Pure and simple. He doesn't have reasons for it, other than being a huge ego-maniacal douche.

He refuses to adhere to the simplest of conventions of making things opt-in, emailing users of important changes as required by law - or even give theirs sellers, thier customers a ounce of common respect.

I used to love Etsy, all of us at Etsy bitch did. It takes about 6-12 months for your eyes to truly open about the BS there. When you do, you will feel truly stupid for falling for the lines they feed you for so long.