Wed Mar 16 2011 08:05:31

eBay UK Hikes Fees for Clothing Sellers in Spring Seller Release

Business sellers in the UK who sell clothing will get a shock later today when eBay UK announces its Spring Update. Final Value Fees (FVF) for Clothing, Shoes & Accessories had been a tiered pricing schedule, beginning at 8.75% and decreasing to 5.25% down to 1.5%, as the selling price increased. But beginning in May, business sellers will pay a flat 12% FVF in the Clothing Shoes & Accessories category.

But good news for large merchants with Stores: it's free for Anchor Stores to list Fixed-Price format (Anchor Stores pay a flat 349.99-pound per month subscription fee).

Insertion fees for Basic store owners will decrease from 20 pence to 10 pence, and insertion fees for Featured Stores will remain at 5 pence.

eBay is moving to a flat Final Value Fee rather than a tiered system across all categories, for both auction and fixed-price formats. "Whether you choose to sell in auction-style or fixed price, your final value fee will be a flat percentage of the final selling price, which varies depending on the category you sell in."

Tech 3%
Parts 8%
Media 9%
Collectables 10%
Clothing, Shoes & Accessories 12%
All Other Categories* 10%

See all the details about new fees on eBay UK.

In addition to fee changes for business sellers, eBay UK will retire the fee discount currently given to Above Standard PowerSellers - eBay Top-rated sellers will continue to get up to 30% discount on final value fees.

eBay UK will also announce that the new shopping basket is arriving in spring 2011. Item specific details will be required for new listings in Fashion from May, and duplicate fixed price listings will be automatically ended. It also lists the new global performance standards on this page.

See all the details on the eBay UK Seller Update page.

eBay.com made its Spring Seller Update announcement on Tuesday, and eBay Australia changes are found here.

eBay UK Hikes Fees for Clothing Sellers in Spring Seller Release   eBay UK Hikes Fees for Clothing Sellers in Spring Seller Release

by: Banuk

Wed Mar 16 08:22:03 2011

This is going to increase prices across the board for most categories.

by: Scuffle

Wed Mar 16 08:25:08 2011

This is what we can expect next seller release in the U.S. Free listing fees for eBay's largest sellers. It's already happening behind closed doors, but eventually they'll make it official.

by: Kal

Wed Mar 16 10:34:33 2011

Just another money grab from a company that needs more money. Steal it any way you can.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Wed Mar 16 11:05:58 2011

I doubt that this is sustainable. Such a move may produce short term gains in the bottom-line that last just long enough to trick the directors and shareholders into believing that ''progress'' is being made. ~~ However, as time goes on, these anti-seller policies will price many small sellers out of existence.

Then what, eBay? ~~ When these sellers are forced out of business, or when they abandon eBay, what will you do next?

Will you fill the void of unrealized income by raising the prices again?

I question the wisdom of these policies that ''build'' eBay by squeezing the life out of the very thing that built it and that is crucial to sustain it.

Instead of nickle-and-dimeing your sellers to DEATH... wouldn't it be smarter to LIFT US UP and ENABLE OUR SUCCESS? ~~ After all, when WE SELLERS are successful, and when WE SELLERS are profitable... then so is eBay!!

It appears that eBay policy-makers are looking for a short-term fix to a long-term problem, that will ultimately make the current problem worse. ~~ This is clearly a pattern, and all indications suggest that they will continue to price themselves out of existence as more and more small sellers disappear.

It's disgusting that their ''growth'' policies are causing the most HARM to the exact group of sellers who are the ones who can LEAST AFFORD to take the hit. ~~ Is it intentional?

If so, what's the end-game?

Other than JD's personal distaste for OOAK, craft-y, antique-y, garage sale-y items (and his desire to rid eBay of these ''low-class'' sellers)... how does eliminating them actually HELP eBay?

by: pete

Wed Mar 16 11:29:28 2011

It looks pretty obvious that they are breaking down eBay..Paypal is the money maker and thats all they want.

What i want to know is, as a business seller paying 12% FVF on clothing item + now P&P (which is already capped in the UK 3.99 GBP MAX) what are eBay going to give me ? it certainly is not buyers and how are they going to help me with bad buyers who damage my feedback?

by: John

Wed Mar 16 12:30:51 2011

It is becoming apparent that ebay has been unable to grow its business through increased spending by it visitors. The net result is that ebay is trying to grow its revenue at the expense of its sellers. There will come a point when sellers revolt and cease relying on the site because of its hig fees. Until that happens ebay will continue to grow its revenue at the expense of its sellers prfit margins.

by: feesible

Wed Mar 16 12:39:54 2011

my FVF will double!
i sell items at 3.99 plus 1.99 shipping
current FVF is 8.75% of 3.99
new FVF is 12% of 5.98
its not good news

by: Mike

Wed Mar 16 13:39:39 2011

I am disgusted at the rise in fees at this time and I'm sure many sellers will suffer substantial increases in their costs, but get it right eBay FVF's have never been applied to shipping costs and this latest increase does not change that.

by: Digby

Wed Mar 16 14:29:07 2011

Ebay sellers must be masochists.
Each quarter they introduce anti-seller updates.
They are charging fvf on shipping in the USA, so it will come to the UK.

I'm glad I'm established on ebid.

by: feehike

Wed Mar 16 15:13:22 2011

Digby

Same here.
I was not going to wait until there was a big exodus of small sellers moving from ebay to Ebid.

I got myself established on Ebid a while back

Took time but my sales are coming along nicely. Well worth the £50 Lifetime membership.

I am so glad I decided not to wait until the day ebay finally becomes an Internet mall for retailers.

&home=uk

Digby

Same here.

I got myself established on Ebid a while back

&home=uk

by: Ebay's Slow Death

Wed Mar 16 18:22:45 2011

I am selling items on Bonanza almost daily now, after having two stores there for over a year (which were stagnating). I have no association with them other than as a Seller. I don't even socialize in their forums. They have no listing fees and cheap FVFs, and you can post items there and forget about them for as long as you want.  Unfortunately, it is only fixed price. I think if they added auctions, they would be terrifically successful.

I am saying this again, because I want Ebay Sellers to know there is hope and selling going on elsewhere on the internet, and it is picking up day by day. More and more Sellers and now Buyers are moving away from Ebay.

Ebay is simply pricing themselves out of the market. I still sell there a little. It doesn't sound like much when they say they will be charging 9% on shipping now, but it does make it all that more difficult on small Sellers whose profit margins are slim now, and where the sell through rate keeps dropping, no matter what you do. Even most $.99 auctions are going off unsold.

If you sell on Ebay, PLEASE look around for other cheaper and more Seller friendly sites.  It is becoming more worthwhile.

I've been on Ebay for 13 years, and it is still hard to realize they have changed completely and will never go back to what they were, no matter how much we want it to happen.  It is simply Gone With the Wind, and Seller realities must be dealt with, if you want to keep selling on the internet.

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 16 19:32:43 2011

I have to laugh when you folks start mentioning the shareholders.  They buy when Ebay is down and shortsell the minute the stock goes up a bit.  I doubt anyone is holding onto Ebay stock for an investment in the future.  Fees go up, sales go down...the stockholders could care less - they're simply riding ebay's roller coaster LOL

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 16 19:37:03 2011

@Ebay's slow death...right on target. A lot of these people will mumble, curse and grumble and they'll stick with Ebay...willing to wait for that return to the old that is never going to come.  The only way to adjust to all the changes is to make Ebay just one of the venues you sell on.  Then it really doesn't matter what new cuckoo policy they come out with next.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed Mar 16 20:11:11 2011

The UK site is often a harbinger of the horrors that await ebay.com sellers in a few months.

Purpose of this, IMO, is indeed to drive away sellers so ebay's fashion vault (ir whatever they're calling it now ) designer sellers won't have as much competition for last season's failures and overruns.

by: Ebay's Slow Death

Thu Mar 17 03:02:08 2011

@Patricia-I agree: diversify, diversify, diversify! Not all venues fit all Sellers. There are choices out there.

@Ming-I think you are right about the big fashion sellers. I have wondered for awhile if Ebay and the Diamonds wanted to get rid of the competition of small Sellers selling used items.

by: feeble

Thu Mar 17 11:19:46 2011

ming is correct
they want to get rid of independent sellers of clothing and accessories