Mon Mar 7 2011 16:25:53

Bonanza Rolls Out Zero-Fee Subscription Plan for 'PowerSellers'

Bonanza has rolled out a new subscription plan for higher-volume sellers. In a nutshell, Bonanza Pro Platinum members receive all of the benefits of the Plus ($10/month) and Premier ($24/month) programs; but Pro Platinum subscribers pay $50/month and pay no fees when items sell.

Bonanza also renamed its Plus plan to "Silver" and Premier plan to "Gold." Here's what the site says about the different plans:

"Silver is great for first-time sellers, but Gold is the best value with more analytics and promotion. Platinum is for power sellers who transact at high volumes."

If you sell on Bonanza, let us know what you think of the changes! And let us know what's on your wish list.

Bonanza Rolls Out Zero-Fee Subscription Plan for 'PowerSellers'   Bonanza Rolls Out Zero-Fee Subscription Plan for 'PowerSellers'

by: Chuck

Mon Mar 7 16:48:33 2011

Interesting! I hope they have a lot of success with that! Perhaps it will lure more disenchanged eBay sellers over to Bonanza.

Where the sellers go, the buyers will follow.

by: anyone out there

Mon Mar 7 17:58:56 2011

The have more than enough sellers BUT WHERE ARE THE BUYERS????

Seems like Bonanza just stopped dead in their tracks.

by: pugs

Mon Mar 7 18:15:36 2011

The 2 lower memberships have some perks that are nice or convenient for sellers. The platinum is only has value to sellers who average paying $50 or more in FVFs other than that there is nothing you can't et for half the price with the gold membership.

Most of us will tell you that our sales come from search engines mostly, referrals, blogs, FB, Twitter and as many places as an individual seller can manage to promote ourselves.

To think and say these memberships increase your sales is misleading. All they offer is extra exposure on the site.. nice, sure, can it hurt, no.. but... until the site is known and people actually go there to shop it is of little value in getting a seller sales.

they have no proof that these memberships help sales... they need to check the analytics and that will show that any sales for members are not coming from this but from their own efforts... many of us that have tried memberships can tell you we have the same amount of sales with or without membership .. through our own efforts and search engines

if you want the ''toys'' to play with or support the site ... fine .. but do not think it will get you sales and the site should not imply it does

Until the site is willing to advertise in proven conventional manners and bring in buyers this extra site exposure will not help.

by: Alilbirdy2

Mon Mar 7 18:29:06 2011

In a nut shell, Platinum status, is only for the sellers who have sold enough to afford to go with a higher paid account status.

Being a Platinum member, won't get you more sales, you still have to promote and do all the work to sell your items. Same as anyone else.

Bonanza is not going to promote or advertise for you, to bring in new customers, no matter what level of membership you have.

by: Sandy Courtney

Mon Mar 7 18:53:22 2011

Totally agree with Pugs and Alilbirdy2.

by: meme

Mon Mar 7 20:02:25 2011

I also agree with pugs and birdy...and since when can you buy power seller statis with money...that is a eBay earned priviledge.

by: Rich

Mon Mar 7 20:10:22 2011

I tried selling on Bonanza. I transferred my Ebay store items over and kept same 2,000 of each on both sites. For every Bonanza sale I had about 50 ebay sales; so I shut down Bonanza.  I wish it worked because Ebay fees have ruined ebay

by: Digby

Tue Mar 8 01:34:03 2011

Bonanza seems to have come to a bit of a halt lately.
I think they should offer those extra services for free to help all their members sell more stuff.

Everyone has to accept lower sales on the alts as they all have less traffic, if everyone keeps going back to ebay they will keep getting screwed.
(ebay know this, which is why they treat their sellers with disdain)

by: John

Tue Mar 8 08:01:00 2011

Hmmm... Not sure if this is such a great idea on behalf of Bonanza. I started out with with the free membership last year, had good consistent sales every week. Upgraded to the Premium Plan back in January... my sales completely STOPPED. I've had one ONE sale since, one yesterday. My items show up all over Bonanza, so yes I get tons of exposure. But my sales stopped cold.

The only reason I upgraded to Premium Plan was the Mark-Down Manager. What they don't tell you until after you pay is that it's only for 7 days a month. Even using that did not result in any sales... coupons seem to work better and there is no monthly fee to use them.

I am giving the Premium Plan till the end of this month and am going to go back to the free level. Until the sales are there, I can't justify the expense.

I am still wondering why my sales were good until January, when I upgraded.... I sell steadily everywhere else, even my own web site (that I don't spend a penny or time advertising, btw) has sales every day.

Just doesn't make sense.....  :(

by: Laura

Tue Mar 8 08:22:15 2011

I get nervous when I see any site working to bring in "high volume" sellers.  I hope Bonanza doesn't go the way of eBay under Whitman and start courting sweatshops.  Sweatshops ruined eBay.

by: Kevin

Tue Mar 8 08:25:30 2011

I've had one sale on Bonanza in the past year.

They have a great concept and philosophy, but just no buyers.  I wish it would take root, but I agree they seem stuck in place and will soon start regressing if they don't do anything to attract buyers

by: former ebay seller

Tue Mar 8 08:29:02 2011

I read through the announcement on Bonanza and it was again about the owners fattening their own wallets without really helping the sellers getting
more income from sales.

Their claim or promise about sizable increases in sales if you join these plans is propaganda pure and simple.

And now it appears possibly that help with setting up google words and other selling needs may be only given to those who pay for a plan.

Any help with sales by staff should be provided free to all because the goal should be to get more sales for everyone, not just the those who can pay for memberships.

The problem with Bonanza is that the owners fail to realize that they are an unknown in online selling to most STILL.
Buyers do not know they exist and so the flow of sales is not there.

I transferred some of my items to Etsy and within days items that were sitting on Bonanza for a long time, doing nothing sold on Etsy. Same item, same price just different venue.

Just as an added note, I did no other promoting when I moved my items to Etsy, so what does that say about Bonanza?

They have also alienated many loyal sellers there. Many have left the site for good while others just show up to check if there are any sales and then go elsewhere to their other sites where they are making sales.

This move is another blunder by Bonanza in a long list of blunders.
And the false advertising about getting more sales, well that is just not right.

by: anon1

Tue Mar 8 09:17:16 2011

Bonanza is eBay lite:  If there is a glitch, it exists on Bonanza.

ie.e:  Listings suddenly all have OBO on them and when you tell the potential buyer that you can't do any better, it makes them mad because HELLO - your listing SAYS you will accept a lower offer even though you didn't put it there, have repeatedly discovered that it has been added to all of your listings and you have repeatedly removed it.

And don't get me started on discovering that some items I'd put on 'reserve' and taken the price of down to zero (because just putting something on reserve does not mean it will STAY on reserve) were altered to be "Freebie!" and were listed up and ready to be taken away for free.

former ebay seller is right - they are all talk and no go.

by: AvocadoLane

Tue Mar 8 09:31:53 2011

Bonanza needs to repair all the problems/glitches on their site before they start charging more. I wonder what will happen when they do lure a few "Big Sellers" and the checkout malfunctions or their booth is down for a few days dues to some other glitch. The term "Build it and they will come," needs to be altered in this case to Build it correctly and they will stay."

by: bonzsellerandbuyer

Tue Mar 8 11:09:24 2011

This is just another example of bonanza not thinking, especially about their word choices.

Sellers have asked for the wording in the shipping notice that is sent to buyers to be changed to something more professional. Management so far has not listened, as buyers are still getting notices talking about dusting off your dancing shoes and getting out your party pants, or whatever the nonsense is.

Now someone decides to say this new platinum program is for ''POWER SELLERS'', using an ebay term-what are they thinking? And the silver program is for ''SMALL'' sellers. Will those who continue to use the basic, free plan be considered ''invisible'' sellers?

Why didn't they just say the plans were basic, good value, better value, and best value, or just let the words silver, gold, and platinum stand for what they connote?

Poster former ebay seller said it all pretty well, as did AvocadoLane.

by: HereAgain

Tue Mar 8 11:28:53 2011

I only see the more successful sellers there jumping on the $50 Platinum level.  I mean, it makes 100% sense if you are already selling enough things that your monthly fees exceed $50.  But that will only reduce the money that Bonanza makes off those sellers.

I guess Bonanza believes that the plan will attract far more smaller sellers who hope that the hype about multiplying their sales.

I'm not sold on the idea, but my greater concerns revolve around some of the problems the site has been experiencing lately.  For example there was a major systems upgrade over the weekend (which I don't recall seeing any advance notice about) that resulted in several site-wide glitches including sellers losing their custom product categories. This continued for most of the day and it was obvious that many sellers were upset/concerned as shown on the forums.

There was also a lot of discussion in the forums and the corporate blog about the new subscription plans.  A lot of sellers were confused about the plans and there were bits of misinformation on the company official postings that need to corrected (perhaps the programs were a bit too rushed at the publication point).

I wish that Bonanza management would realize that communications with sellers is key, particularly when there are problems and/or changes.  It's not really that difficult and would go a long way to making sellers feel more connected.  This was one of the big complaints from unhappy sellers on eBay.  You would hope that the other venues would learn a lesson there.  I truly hope that Bonanza starts doing a better job in that area.

by: now really

Tue Mar 8 12:20:01 2011

>>>Yes, the staff seemed to be working very hard on fixing the problems (something that is never too apparent with eBay) and there were staff available to field some of the upset/concerned users questions (also something you no longer see at eBay).  Yet there was no general announcement of the technical problems.  You had to go search the forums to discover what was going on.  The same with the new subscription programs -- no general announcements.<<<<

They do not send announcements. They did once awhile back.

Members have to read the forum and the blog to know what is going on. That is ridiculous.

Every other site I am registered on sends monthly newsletters. The kind with actual site information and not advertisements that I can find for myself on site. They also send special notices if something important needs to be announced.

If you do not read the forum, the blog and what's new you will not know what is going on or about any changes.

Even then, things that they should announce or officially post they do not, it it left up to members or questions from members before they state anything.

They do not even take advantage of the "announcement" spot they initiated on the "My Bonanza" page. There has been nothing there since it's first announcement.

They didn't even care enough to send a Merry Christmas email like all the other sites I am registered on.

OH, but, they did manage to mass email all members and alert them to come to Auction Bytes to vote for them during the recent survey for best selling site.

Clearly their only focus is themselves and not the members who are their customers.

I have seen complaints of sellers who dump their items on Bonanza and do not often visit the site. There is another side to that coin. Why should they care when they receive no meaningful information from the site.

by: OfNoUse

Tue Mar 8 12:45:22 2011

Bonanza is a waste of time for old school ebay folks. It's a fancy classified site or online "store." WE WANT A REAL AUCTION SITE where your item gets BID up to market value. Unfortunately, eBay is the only game in town. If you have an item with REAL value and demand it will still sell for big bucks on ebay. Take a look at vintage Lionel trains, classic cars, old tube stereos, vintage watches, etc. They sell for more money than ever. And no, not everything is shilled up. True, ebay is extremely unfair in every respect. Regardless, it's still the only place in town for real auctions. I know Craigslist...yeah ok. People buy on Craigslist to sell on ebay. Until another site comes along that competes with ebay, nothing matters. Give us an AUCTION SITE! And for the nay sayers...stop spouting the BS. Take a look on ebay at quality vintage items. Look at the prices they sell for. Not all bidders are morons, and not all sellers are scammers.

by: walter

Tue Mar 8 12:51:07 2011

The only time I visit Bonanzle Bananza whatever the name is this month...is to remove an item from my place there that sold elsewhere. I'll stay until I find removing or adding the items too much of a waste of time but only for free.

I've only sold 2 items in all my time there and I've been there since the beginning. In the same time frame I've sold thousands of items elsewhere and had them all listed on Bonanza at the same time.

Boocoo auctions has been much better for my items.....and NO I'm not paid by Boocoo to say this. I just REALLY like it and think it's the absolute best of all the alternatives so I will promote it anytime I have the chance ;)

Disclaimer: I might not love it as much as I do, hadn't I been making decent sales there and may hate it at some point in the future lol.

by: Digby

Tue Mar 8 13:13:37 2011

Yes Bonanza are a bit strange.
They took down 2 wikipidea entries on them, as "they were not yet ready"
You should not be able to censor an encylopedia !

And yes they are not upfront enough with glitches and new announcements.

I hope they are reading this thread.

As regard their premium services, very few people use them, they soon realise they do not result increased sales.

1 2 3 4  [Next Page]