Thu Feb 24 2011 22:32:20

Is Facebook an Untapped Resource for Online Sellers?

Last week we polled our readers on Facebook about whether they sell items on the social networking site. While the Quick Poll revealed that one-third (32%) of those responding do list items for sale on Facebook, the poll also revealed that many sellers may be unaware of how to sell their products on Facebook.

Some respondents said they were unaware they could list items on Facebook, others were uncertain as to how to do so or whether it was worth their time and effort. (You can read the results and comments in Friday's AuctionBytes Newsflash article.)

What do you think about Facebook as a resource for online sellers? Do you participate on Facebook, and if so, are you listing your items there? What tools are you using?

Do you get annoyed when your friends and colleagues post links to their products? How do you advertise your wares without annoying friends?

What about connecting - do you accept friend invitations from anyone and everyone, or are you selective in who you connect with on Facebook? Do you keep your personal Facebook separate from your Business page?

Or are you a Facebook skeptic and believe the whole site is a waste of time?

We've been using Facebook to conduct "Quick Polls" such as this, and it's generated some interesting information to spark discussion. This week's Quick Poll tackles eBay's shopping cart, you can take it on SurveyMonkey.com here, and be alerted to new polls by connecting with us via Facebook.

Is Facebook an Untapped Resource for Online Sellers?   Is Facebook an Untapped Resource for Online Sellers?

by: Digby

Thu Feb 24 23:46:51 2011

I set up a Facebook Fan page for my product a few months ago, and am emailing my buyers to joning it.

But I am not sure about people buying stuff on Facebook. (great movie)

But Facebook is very popular and some people spend a lot of time on it, perhaps playing farmville ?

And I save made sales from running banner ads on it (very costly)

So we must not write it off, but then again we don't want to bombard people with sales messages.

by: Michele

Fri Feb 25 00:12:26 2011

I have had no luck selling on FB.  The only inquiries I ever had were from so called people expressing an interest in my product and asking me to email them off FB.  I was able to resell on Craigslist.

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 25 03:17:09 2011

i've never done anything with facebook.  though this new shopping mall has peaked some interest.  it could be worthwhile.

by: Jeff S

Fri Feb 25 08:43:24 2011

FB has peaked.  The quality of conversation is disgraceful and distracting.  With a meteoric rise comes the crash. Anybody who has sold on ebay realizes the walled garden approach to networking sales ultimately becomes unworthy of further development.

by: Digby

Fri Feb 25 12:56:12 2011

Facebok has peaked ?

I notice that they trumpeted 300 million users, then 400 million and then 500 million, but that was 6 months ago, and no mention of the number of users since then.

by: Happy Camper

Fri Feb 25 13:24:58 2011

Early in January, yard sale groups started springing up on Facebook. I was invited to join one, then another one and another one! I sold more than $900 at these cyber yard sales in January alone -- and for the curious and skeptical, I got paid for all but a couple of the items! I've continued to make a few sales since then, but since I'd listed all of my yard sale stuff in January, I don't have much in the way of new stuff to list to hold shopper's interest.

by: Joe Average

Fri Feb 25 15:47:32 2011

I thought that facebook was for gossip & memorial pages of folks killed by teens text messaging and what-not?

by: Rich

Fri Feb 25 16:05:34 2011

Facebook looks like a lot of fun and a great social thing for younger people, but isn't my thing.  I never heard about anyone selling internet sales on Facebook

by: uncle rico

Fri Feb 25 20:45:26 2011

Rich, it doesn't have to be your "thing." There are many people who use Facebook for purposes other than gossip and memorials for deceased relatives.
The site is good for more than telling people what you ate for lunch.

by: eBayMafia

Fri Feb 25 21:21:59 2011

Facebook Groups is a MONSTER and it came out of nowhere. Selling online is perfect for Facebook, it's even better than Craigslist! Running an Ad campaign is great, but remember Facebook is SOCIAL, sell within Groups and I promise you won't regret it. My town has a ''For Sale'' Group with 4,000 members and I don't live in a big town in Iowa. I'm buying things for a small percentage of the cost and selling them on eBay, and Im taking things off of eBay and selling them through Facebook within MINUTES, and sometimes the cash is within my hand within the hour.

Saying Facebook has ''peaked'' makes no sense at this time. Facebook is merging into markets and taking control like never before, and they adapt in a way that makes them not so easy to replace unlike their predecessors.

Don't worry if it isn't for you, I hear there are still people using newspaper ads.

by: Digby

Sat Feb 26 02:45:28 2011

You have to talk to some young ones.

Some young ones are not using email these days.
They are saying I will Facebook you.

So anyone who does not keep up with Facebook may get left behind.

Just look at all the companies that advertise on it!

Rich and Jeff, just read HappyCampers post above.

I'm not saying that its taking over ebay etc but we need to be aware of it.

by: feebay

Sat Feb 26 18:14:33 2011

i think FB is the next big thing
get on before it gets ruined like ebay did!
you might get a few good years out of it without the hassle of constant "innovations"

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 26 21:21:41 2011

I have a zazzle store and it is linked with Facebook.  Any time I design a new item for Zazzle it appears on my Facebook page.  I'm sure I got some sales from it.

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 26 21:28:12 2011

Anyone putting Facebook down or saying its for the young or its peaked are doing themselves a disservice.  I'm retired and I have almost 200 friends of all ages on Facebook - most of them are artist associates from Ebay.  My advise is to get to Facebook and scope it out.  I have both my Zazzle store and my Fine Art America store linked to Facebook with more to come.  You're selling yourselves short by ignoring this site.  I sold a large painting just today thru Facebook.  The customer came to my page and thanked me for it!