Wed Dec 28 2011 15:35:54

eBay Appeases Shoppers Who Missed Out on $99 HP TouchPads

eBay appeased shoppers who were angry when they missed out on $99 HP Touchpad tablets before Christmas thanks to a glitch in eBay's checkout process. Spokersperson Johnna Hoff confirmed that the company had sent $100 gift cards to customers who were affected by the glitch:

"Yes, we did send customers who tried to purchase the HP Touchpad but were unable to complete the transaction a $100 eBay Gift Card to acknowledge the inconvenience," Hoff said.

When asked how many gift cards the company sent, Hoff said eBay was not releasing further details. Many shoppers had blamed eBay when they failed to get the tablet even though they successfully hit the buy button, and some took to Twitter to vent their frustration.

A reader whose son had tried to buy the HP tablet explained on Wednesday that, during the sale, he had gotten to the "Pay Using PayPal" screen twice and received a message that the item was sold out - but not before PayPal charged $260 on his account. She said her son had gotten PayPal to refund the money and was surprised to receive the $100 from eBay this week.

The reader wrote, "as the kid's mom, I am thrilled that he received this. As an eBay SELLER however, I gotta ask - is this REALLY where the outrageous fees are going to??? Am I and every other seller working our fingers to the bone to actually SELL anything on eBay to have them GIVE AWAY THIS MONEY?"

She asked, "Am I going to get a "Gift Certificate": every time something that I want is sold out? Is this a new opportunity for scammers on hot items?"

What do you think - what has been your experience with eBay compensation for technical glitches as a seller? And should eBay compensate buyers when there's a glitch?

eBay Appeases Shoppers Who Missed Out on $99 HP TouchPads   eBay Appeases Shoppers Who Missed Out on $99 HP TouchPads

by: ebayseller1234

Wed Dec 28 16:01:14 2011

This is a good gesture from eBay. I dont think what this seller wrote is correct or even worth commenting...If as a seller, all that you want is to find fault with eBay even when the company did something good ....then I would say this is not fair. :)

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed Dec 28 16:24:07 2011

As a victim of more 6500 ebafia glitches (virtually all of them intentional and pre programmed, IMO) in 12 years, the only compensation I ever received from these cheap b*****ds was a few cents in "courtesy" refunds.

Ebafia encourages and facilitates all manner and means of buyer fraud.

We should all be demanding Wall Street cheerleaders consider the following:

If their precious too big to fail banks and banksters provided every customer with a detailed roadmap showing step by step how to steal money from their tellers and the losses were deducted from the tellers' salaries how long would investors and government ignore such an illegal practice?

The stench is chest deep in San Jose.

This user has validated their user name. by: David Steiner

Wed Dec 28 16:42:06 2011

Representatives from companies within this industry should identify themselves as such when posting, rather than using an anonymous ID.

David Steiner

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Wed Dec 28 17:14:12 2011

@The OP: I can't find fault in eBay's efforts on this one. But I do wonder why it is that it's only the high-profile events that cause eBay to do the right thing. This glitch with HP and the incident with PayPal shutting down the Secret-Santa donations come to mind. ~ What other less-noticeable (yet equally unfair) things were ignored by eBay/PP and swept under the rug?

@Ming: I absolutely loathe the ''one-time courtesy refund'' thing... it's so condescending and so irritating for eBay to act as though they are doing ME a ''favor'' when they make good on *their* error. There's no admission of fault or culpability, and the ''one-time'' caveat clearly implies that if it happens again, we should not expect eBay to make good on their mistake again.

@David: HA! :-D It's good to know that you're watching things from offstage.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Wed Dec 28 17:23:55 2011

Yeah, you’d think that the insiders would be smart enough to go to an internet café to do their paid lobbying instead of using their office ISP. Then, what does that say about the intellectual capacity of those insiders?

Anyway, eBay more than likely arranged to have these $100 payments arbitrarily deducted from HP's PreyPal account. And, you can bet that they did not come out of the eBafia Don’s bonus payments ...

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking.

by: buck efay

Wed Dec 28 17:44:37 2011

After 11 years on Ebay, I got a check from a recent class action regarding fee overcharges in ebay autos. a gigantic .11 cents. Had to be cashed by 12/21 or it was no good. I decided to not waste my time depositing it in case it bounced.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Wed Dec 28 17:52:35 2011

Philip asks: ''Then, what does that say about the intellectual capacity of those insiders?''

It tells me that it's an entry-level job for high school credits, and that the employee manual does not include a section that explains IP addresses.

But, on the positive side, it also tells me that the industry insiders are nervously looking back over their shoulders and trying to influence or control the message.

Additionally, it tells me that even though the bandwidth we use to vent our frustrations appears to have absolutely NO effect on eBay policies... we *are* being heard by the public.

eBay may consider us to be disgruntled and disposable sellers... mere ''noise'' to be ignored... but when eBay's reputation is starting to become visibly tarnished, they start to worry.

I imagine that eBay execs and staff just assumed that we sellers were isolated from the ''real world'' and buying public... and that our legitimate complaints would not be heard beyond our own echo-chamber.

It's clear to me now that the more we complain... and the better we become at pointing out eBay's faults/scams/schemes... the more we are able to point out the real-world effects their policies have on honest & hard-working small sellers... the more we are able to demonstrate how eBay/PP policies are unfairly tilted in favor of Diamond Sellers (as well as the scammers/shoplifters)... then the more the public starts to pay attention.

Yes, eBay may be ignoring us, but others are paying attention, and it seems that it's making eBay a little uncomfortable.

GOOD!

by: Fed-up This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 28 20:15:35 2011

Anonymous Annie Said:

You are So right!!!

by: massachusetts howler

Wed Dec 28 20:35:24 2011

Cheers for David Steiner!
NOW Ebay is PAYING BRIBES to buyers of the HP pad to GET buyers TO REVISE THEIR FB!!
Can you do that for us?!?
(Ebay is working hard on HP's FB, getting folks who left negs to change their FB for a $100 BRIBE).
:-) massachusetts Howler

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 28 21:30:27 2011

Hi---This is the Mom of the kid in the OP.  I don't know if this Gift Card was offered as a way to get people to NOT leave NFB.  That's a pretty hefty "bribe" if it was offered for that reason tho!

Still have to wonder  how MANY of these were handed out.

And I stick by my contention that the $$$ MIGHT have come from ebay ---and who exactly EARNS that money FOR ebay if not the SELLERS????

If the $$$ comes ultimately from HP---eBay SHOULD mention this.  If HP feels "bad" about their customers not being able to buy this item and they feel like giving the buyers a little something for their troubles---fine by me.

Rumor has it that HP gave eBay NO WARNING that these tablets were going to be offered at this price.  Maybe BOTH HP and eBay will learn a lesson from this.

And eBay SHOULD confess that their check out system does NOT work half the time and is ---along with the rest of the site---in serious need of re-working.  Which,  because it would require them to ADMIT that there is a problem, will not happen.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Wed Dec 28 22:03:16 2011

May be not so true!. I tried the same during the first seconds when it supposedly started and never got beyond when pressing the Buy Now button. Never got any email from Ebay.

by: This is a real HOOT!

Wed Dec 28 22:19:07 2011

Did it dawn on anyone that Meg Whitman is now the CEO of HP ... figures Ebay would kiss her butt, we payed for her election and retirement from Ebay and now it seems we are paying for her success at her new job at HP ... will this never end???

by: Sayonara eBay

Thu Dec 29 00:35:51 2011

Wow, $100 gift card from eBay because they couldn't buy something due to a glitch.

Seems to me, because of a glitch in pre-Thanksgiving sales 2 years ago, eBay compensated sellers for 2 days of auctions missed.

For 2 days or so, 120 items, I received 13 cents.

My how times have changed. Sellers rule!

by: BetaVsVhs

Thu Dec 29 03:27:50 2011

Didn't HP discontinue all WebOS devices several months ago? They are rather "App" challenged anyway. Finding WebOS apps is like trying to find movies in Beta format to play in a sony beta VCR.

Johnnie and meg, the makings of the perfect professional wrestling tag team. The Scheme Team.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Thu Dec 29 09:50:12 2011

@David, nice call...It's a shame that eBay finds it is necessary to plant a shill, however, they make their bed and must sleep in it.

As to Johanna Hoff refusing to disclose how many $100 Gift Cards were sent out... I would bet that enough cards went out to be noteworthy for public relations purposes, but not enough to appease every buyer who was prevented from completing their purchase by eBay's obligatory 'glitch'.

No doubt eBay sent gift cards out to those users who were vocal and blasted eBay for their system failure.

On the other side of the coin, those buyers who have become so accustomed to being beaten down by eBay and now suffer in silence because they feel the effort to speak their mind is an empty gesture, likely saw no such $100 gift card compensation.

eBay wonders why sales are so anemic, they need only examine their own standards and practices to reveal the root cause of buyer and seller apathy.
eBay management created the infection and they continue to allow it to spread.

by: Disgruntled HP shopper

Thu Dec 29 11:00:09 2011

I tried to buy a touchpad using 2 different computers. They both froze up during the purchase process. I finally got past the BIN button, entered my paypal info and confirmed it, and pressed confirm payment. After several minutes I was told the item was no longer available.

All I got from eBay was 1 email offering a 10% discount for a purchase on eBay that expired yesterday. Gee eBay, thanks for your incompetence.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 29 11:19:06 2011

As far as I know this "sale" was not complained about by my son; he was a surprised as anyone that he received ANYTHING from ebay.

I am sure that plenty of OTHER shoppers complained---as well they SHOULD---this is sort of like the store announcing  a Blue Light Special at K-Mart and when the people whop happen to be standing next to the table look there is nothing there.  Fire in a crowded theater.

Hadn't thought about the Whitman Connexion  but wouldn't surprise me in the least.

When my kid got the email about the Gift Cert he sent me a screen shot and said---"Looks like ebay is not so evil TODAY huh???"

Shows you what mom has been talking about don't it!!!!

by: Mr. Bill

Thu Dec 29 11:39:12 2011

I am happy that we are calling the buyers on ebay shoppers because ebay calls the buyers their customers, in actuality the sellers are the ebay customers but we get no respect unless we are a major retailer. It is ebay's fault another glitch, they should have done something for the buyers and probably did it because the seller was major retailer. Would ebay have done this if the seller was a small business, heck no they wouldn't. I work hard and ebay causes so many problems refers to my customers as their customers and has never ever compensated nme for all of ther wasted time due to their constant and I mean constant, glitches. Thge only thing that always seem to work correctly is the buyers ability to file a fraudulent claim and the buyers ability to leave a negative. This company is allowed to get away with all of this because they have masked the fact that sellers are their actual customers, the buyers are the sellers customers, therefore all the major rating and review sites are wrong. Ebay sucks, the reviews should reflect what the sellers are stating. This is my of seaon for a couple of months I sell little during the holidays however when I get busy selling on ebay is nort easy because ebay gives us bad support, period. My feedback is at 99.9% I have over 31,000 transactions.  lose my trs all the time because of slow periods, ebay refuses to fix that glitck, it is shameful. What about sellers complaints shouldn't we be compensated if our buyers are compensated. JD keeps referring to the free listing days, are you kidding me? that is doing nothing but flooding the site and lowering sales for the small businesses it is being done on purpose. I say we need compensation for all the crap thrown at us that is not working or a hinderance.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Dec 29 11:39:37 2011

Won't it be fun to watch when buyers in other categories miss out on coveted items and start screaming bloody murder to ebay?

Buyers get lavishly compensated for ebay technical glitches and sellers don't?

Bad, bad precedent that temporarily shines ebay's micron deep patina but could have very bad PR consequences for them in the future.

by: NAILA

Thu Dec 29 12:16:06 2011

I TRIED TO PURCHASE EVEN I GO THROUGH THE PAYPAL AND WHEN I TRIED TO PAY THEY SAID THERE IS NOT EVEN A SINGLE ITEM IN YOUR CART AND I HAVE NOT YET RECIEVED ANY $100 GIFT CARD MY THIS IS A SCAM.