Tue Nov 22 2011 17:54:00

eBay Glitch Unleashes Emails from Old Claims

eBay sellers say they are receiving emails today from eBay about cases their trading partners filed months - or even years - ago. At least some of the emails begin with the following message:

"A buyer tried to open an eBay Buyer Protection case because the item hasn't arrived yet. It was too soon to open a case, so we asked the buyer to contact you. If you haven't already heard from the buyer, we recommend you get in touch with the buyer. Most issues can be worked out through email or a simple phone call."

Some emails are from the spring, others go back to cases that were opened in 2009. Some sellers thought it was a spoof email while one seller said an eBay customer service rep told him it was a hacking attempt (see discussion board thread).

An email forwarded by one seller had a subject line, "(User ID), please contact your buyer to avoid an eBay Buyer Protection case" - a message that may well cause sellers some palpitations when they first receive the notice, since eBay counts open cases against sellers' performance standards.

One reader who reported the problem wrote in his email to EcommerceBytes, "Listing the user names and cases of these people may not be funny for buyers or sellers which may have resolved these cases a long time ago."

We'll up date this blog post when we hear back from eBay about the scope of the problem and whether buyers also received the emails. In the meantime, leave a comment, and please indicate on Ecommerce EKG if you're having the problem (thumbs up) or not (thumbs down).

Update: eBay spokesperson Johnna Hoff responded to my inquiry, "We are aware of the issue and working to resolve," and eBay has posted an announcement on the Systems Announcement Board:

"We're aware some members may have received an email message regarding an eBay Buyer Protection case for completed transactions. These communications were sent in error. We are working to resolve this situation and regret any inconvenience this has caused."

eBay Glitch Unleashes Emails from Old Claims   eBay Glitch Unleashes Emails from Old Claims

by: David

Tue Nov 22 18:07:31 2011

My god I almost had a heart attack when I got that email and saw that big list. It was a mile long and I thought "My God why are all these people filing claims against me"

Then I quickly realized some of these "cases" were from years ago!

by: MR ME

Tue Nov 22 18:22:45 2011

I just got one too, Just a reminder of how glad that I am that I no longer sell on eBay... May eBay die a slow, painful death !

by: Liz

Tue Nov 22 18:37:00 2011

I got 2 from a old ebay account and from my current one. I immediately logged onto to ebay but knew not to link from the email at all thinking maybe it was a trap. You would think with all the millions of dollars they could prevent even glitches this huge. I can only imagine the calls they been getting. Fix it now!!

by: asd

Tue Nov 22 18:42:53 2011

Another example of poor ebay implementation of whatever
You have to wonder if they even have a quality team there

by: Kevin

Tue Nov 22 18:56:46 2011

WOW. I'm losing respect for eBay. This scared the heck out of me.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Tue Nov 22 19:01:47 2011

Another day...another eBay glitch, so what is new???

This is new!!! >>>> ...eBay has posted an announcement on the Systems Announcement Board...

Which of the grossly overpaid MBA's suddenly discovered the System Announcement Board still exists and insisted that someone actually use it???

by: Walker

Tue Nov 22 19:12:50 2011

Wonder what the buyers are receiving?

This user has validated their user name. by: basset

Tue Nov 22 20:13:39 2011

LOL - when I got one of the emails, I saw the 2010 date. I figured it was some kind of phishing expedition but called eBay customer service. First, I noticed they came on the phone really quickly - that was a bit disconcerting. Then, after verifying me & pulling up my info, she told me that it was a "fraudulent email", that CS phones had been inundated by sellers with similar emails, & eBay was working to shut down the responsible party! Please, forward the email to "spoof at ebay......"
Now, I see from this article that it is a "glitch". Really inspires a lot of trust. A few minutes ago I noticed another email from "ebay resolution" thanking me for resolving the problem. I assume they are talking about the one from 2010.
eBay is certainly having a "glitch-fest" lately between disappearing photos & now this! What's next!

This user has validated their user name. by: basset

Tue Nov 22 20:19:44 2011

It just struck me that apparently eBay IS the responsible party if it is indeed a "glitch".

When the customer service person told me "eBay is working to shut down the responsible party" that basically can be interpreted that eBay is working to shut itself down. Perhaps truer words have never been spoken?

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue Nov 22 21:52:38 2011

Let’s face it, Donahoe, “the Bain & Co destroyer”, has very well wrought his destruction on eBay and, regrettably, both the criminal eBafia and clunky PreyPal have given online sales a very poor reputation. Could I dare suggest that the sooner both the clunky PreyPal and the unscrupulous eBafia sink to the bottom of the ocean, the healthier the future of all online commerce will be.

Enron / eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking.

by: Jenny B

Wed Nov 23 00:51:09 2011

Now, will eBay say that there is no way in the world that any glitch can affect seller ratings? do you know the reaction of buyers when they got emails from sellers asking why they claim the old transaction? This is just to clearly show how bad ebay tech issues are, my traffic went down from 550 visitors a day with 1500 items to 45 a day with 2000 products because of the useless and confusing new cart, bad search and childish policy changes, if ain't broken, why fix it!

by: scissors This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 23 00:55:27 2011

It angered me enough to call them put my phone on speaker, wait the 25 minutes and then unleash about ever other issue I have that has recently popped up & make them fix it knowing full well how many other people were calling to complain. They have lacked in all over customer service this month. I am sick to death and cannot wait until the holiday season is over so we can all move on!

by: kellygirl1217 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 23 01:08:48 2011

The item I received the email about had no issues at the time of sale. I had received positive feedback for it. I think it was a hack.

by: kellygirl1217 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 23 01:13:33 2011

Also, before clicking on any of the links in the email out of fear of a virus, I logged into my eBay account to see if I had received the same message, and there wasn't one, so I knew it was not sent by eBay. Why they aren't fessing up to a hack I don't know. I didn't have any cases and had sold the item in the email over a year ago so I immediately knew something was wrong....

by: Major_LOL_Time

Wed Nov 23 01:18:35 2011

Oh so it's a glitch? They are working hard to shut down the responsible party?

Ebay seems to have all sorts of troubles these days doesn't it? For instance,  look at the google safe browsing page for ebay:

What happened when Google visited this site?

...Of the 1335350 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 12 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2011-11-22, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2011-11-18.
Malicious software includes 38 scripting exploit(s), 3 trojan(s).

Malicious software is hosted on 8 domain(s), including...

...7 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including...

Wow! Drive by downloads, trojans, virus, scripting exploits.... what else I wonder? A mad hacker running amok through the back end? Voodoo curses?

Does that seem like a safe and trustworthy site?

What next?

Happy Holidays. ;p

Major_LOL_Time

by: Fed up

Wed Nov 23 01:20:32 2011

I can't even cry any more, so I'm just laughing. First e-mail I received told me that I should contact buyers who were trying to open cases against me. The second e-mail thanked me for resolving a problem with one of my buyers. I didn't get heart attack as I immediately knew it was a glitch, but I'm really getting fed up. There are too many glitches in a busy holiday season. First disappearing pictures, then items not showing up in our store and now this. What are they doing? I guess working hard on breaking everything possible.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed Nov 23 01:25:38 2011

Why can't these hackers ever get anything right?

What they should be hacking and publicly exposing are the private emails among ebafia's and PreyPal's upper management, destroying the tier system, and destroying ebafia's algorithms in Best Match.

Now that would be hacking we could believe in.

So get with it, hackers, and hack something that makes a difference.

by: Grinch Glitch

Wed Nov 23 01:35:53 2011

Got the email too and my first thought was so this is why my views and sales are down. Called and there is now a recording about the Buyer Protection email.

This is all part of their plan to make eBay just "okay" this holiday season. That may be too big of a goal to achieve. How low should we set our expectations to not be disappointed?

by: Alice schnabel

Wed Nov 23 01:36:57 2011

My first thought was, oh no, is someone going to attempt another hacking on my account?  But then I just figured it was probably eBay's fault?? But this may be bigger than we will be told....like an attempt at a GIGANTIC hacking!! Let's pray it's not!

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous

Wed Nov 23 01:56:25 2011

It makes me sigh and look at the futility of the work that I have put into this business. This alleged glitch is just one of so many death knells for eBay this holiday season. I predict sales will plummet for the small seller and eBay will post amazing profits because of PayPal. Why continue? There are few viable alternatives, so let us continue to allow eBay to provide us with our own suicide machine.

It is so pathetic and disheartening. I am nearly physically ill over the treatment I have received. You go, Griff! It's all good in wonderland.

1 2 3  [Next Page]