Wed Oct 5 2011 20:20:54

Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

The world has lost a visionary - Steve Jobs, co-founder of Apple, passed away today.

Jobs had stepped down from his role as CEO at Apple in late August, most likely due to health issues stemming from a 2004 cancer diagnosis.

Yesterday, his replacement Tim Cook introduced the new iPhone 4S. It was the first time such an announcement was made without Jobs, who always managed to wow the crowd of journalists who gathered, hungry to see the latest magic from Apple.

It was almost as if Jobs was waiting to make sure his legacy would continue.

Jobs was passionate about the products he created. Desktop publishing didn't exist in the mainstream until the Apple Macintosh computer.

In 1985 I worked for Leading Edge Computers, a company that made IBM clones. It was a time when IBM still dominated the industry - "no one ever got fired for buying IBM" was the corporate thinking at the time. But Jobs and Steve Wozniak carved out a place for the Mac in the education and publishing fields with their easy-to-use computer that offered creativity unavailable on other computers.

Jobs again changed the world when he introduced the world to the iPod, the precursor to the iPhone and iPad, which, among other things, has changed online shopping.

It wasn't just Jobs' ability to create game-changing products - it was his ability to excite consumers and convey the benefits of the products in simple terms. When Apple introduced the iPod, the tagline was, "1,000 songs in your pocket."

Seth Godin put into words the enormity of Jobs' achievements, writing this evening, "Steve devoted his professional life to giving us (you, me and a billion other people) the most powerful device ever available to an ordinary person."

Steve Jobs told college graduates in a commencement speech in 2005, "Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work."

Steve Jobs did great work.

Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011   Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

by: Mac the Knife

Wed Oct 5 20:36:59 2011

This is a sad, sad day in technology. I remember the first time someone showed me a MacIntosh computer in the 80's. I was blown away. I had the same reaction when I was shown an iPod and an iPhone. Clearly this man knew how to develop technology for everyone. He'll be missed, but he has left a lasting legacy.

Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011   Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

by: Charlie W.

Thu Oct 6 07:31:31 2011

Condolences to his family, friends, and colleagues.

Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011   Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

by: iSad

Thu Oct 6 12:38:20 2011

A true and real man. Built a company from the ground up with core values. Saved it from poor leadership and reinstated the original vision and culture back into the company which brought it back to it's glory. Mucho respect!

You'll be missed!

iSad

Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011   Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

by: Red Ink Diary This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 6 12:49:54 2011

Remembering that first computer, the Apple IIe and the kids. Back then we shared, now we all have one or two.

If it wasn't for Steve Jobs would we all still be bumbling around in DOS?

Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011   Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

by: Early Apple User

Thu Oct 6 14:31:06 2011

I am old enough to remember computer kits from the 1970s like the Altair 8800, and how quickly computers were adopted by consumers in the 1980's. Apple and Steve Jobs were a huge part of that. Instead of "bumbling around in DOS" as a previous posted mentioned, there was suddenly a graphical user interface that made computers more accessible to the masses. Woz and Jobs' innovation, and their ability to sell their vision is what made (and makes) Apple special.

Rock on, Steve! If it wasn't for your company, I might very well be putting lids on burgers for a living.

Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011   Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

by: summer in the city

Thu Oct 6 14:56:54 2011

''Death is very likely the single best invention of life. Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life ... have the courage to follow your own heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become.''
–- Steve Jobs

Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011   Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Oct 6 15:51:25 2011

"... would we all still be bumbling around in DOS?"

Don't forget that the original graphical user interface was born at Xerox; Jobs simply commercialised it.

Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011   Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 6 16:07:46 2011

Rest in peace Steve Jobs

Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011   Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

This user has validated their user name. by: Doc

Thu Oct 6 18:30:23 2011

TNT Networks will air it's movie about the beginning computer pioneers Bill Gates and Steve Jobs "The Pirates Of Silicone Valley" Tonight at 8:00 PM EST.

For those of you who have not seen it before, it's worth watching.

And you will be surprised how Bill Gates came up with the 1st Windows GUI.

Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011   Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

by: alice schnabel

Fri Oct 7 01:40:39 2011

Each day when i sit down in front of my IMac, I am again so appreciative to the brilliant, creative abilities Steve Jobs & his partner.  I loved watching his presentations of new products when opening up my Safari network.  And today I watched Steve's address at Stanford's 2005 Graduation ceremony, and put it permanently in my files to play again & again, as inspiration.  A great young man!

Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011   Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

by: Moonwishes

Fri Oct 7 16:04:12 2011

Even though I've never used a Mac or I-phone, etc. I recognize what Steve brought to our world and we will never be the same. I was reading once about him and the other lads that changed the face of computing and made it personal and when I realized that these guys were my age, I was amazed. I also realized how much girls (during the time I was in school) weren't encouraged to go into sciences and maths even if they had talent. They were encouraged to be secretaries or nurses. Well with Steve and the other guys we are now free do what we want courtesy of our home computers! So sorry to his family for their's and our loss of a brilliant guy!