Thu Sept 2 2010 12:07:48

Does Being an eBay Seller Prepare You for Other Careers?

I've always held that to be a successful online seller, you must be equal parts web designer, photographer, packer, shipper, customer service rep, accountant, sourcer,...the list goes on and on. Greg Holden will be writing an article for an upcoming AuctionBytes-Update newsletters about eBay sellers who have taken the skills they've developed selling online, and branched out into other areas.

What are the talents that you've developed while selling online? Have you thought about focusing on one area and offering it as a standalone service? What is it? We'd love to hear your stories!

Leave your thoughts here, and if you would like to have an opportunity to be included in Greg's article, send me an email at ina@auctionbytes.com.

Does Being an eBay Seller Prepare You for Other Careers?   Does Being an eBay Seller Prepare You for Other Careers?

by: Hardrock Rules

Thu Sep 2 14:29:05 2010

Yes, because JD is squeezing us right out of Business !

So we must take our skills to some other platform and quickly !

by: glamorous

Thu Sep 2 14:46:12 2010

I learned most of my computer and HTML skills from going to college. My packaging and shipping skills were obtained from a previous employer. I designed my eBay store and my own website in HTML. My photography skills have definitely improved since I have been on eBay. I starting selling on on-line hoping to someday open my own brick and mortar store, but the economy has been so bad. Many of the brick and mortar stores where I live are closing up.

Since sales are steadily declining on eBay, I have been considering a career change. I have been thinking about becoming a webmaster.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Sep 2 15:09:06 2010

Careers in the criminal justice system!

by: James

Thu Sep 2 15:29:11 2010

After experiencing the eBay of the last 2 1/2 years I now would be qualified to take a large online auction site and ruin it by alienating a large percentage of the paying customers. All the while refusing to actually communicate with the aforementioned paying customers other than to tell them how all the changes are so good for them when in fact they are destroying their businesses and livelihoods.

And oh yeah making sure I was payed a ludicrous amount of money for doing nothing at the same time.

by: Roland

Thu Sep 2 16:16:21 2010

I had some experience before I began selling on eBay in retail, and my hobby was photography. My product photos have gotten very good over the past 8+ years, and I've invested in high-end cameras, lights, and backgrounds. I've kept a portfolio of my best shots and hope to get into it more as I wind down my eBay store.

by: what I've learned

Thu Sep 2 16:24:54 2010

Well over the last two years ebay has taught me how to be a good doormat.

by: Jim S. This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 2 16:36:46 2010

I'd put it in reverse - my prior career in MIS management in the retail field gave me the tools to sell successfully online.

by: unaware This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 2 16:42:38 2010

I think eBay has prepared me to become a prostitute... since eBay did away with my ability to leave buyers negative feedback for outrageous behavior I have learned to ''kiss a buyers ass'' as well as any of the girls working Hotel street!

by: ZZTopshlf

Thu Sep 2 16:55:03 2010

Yes! It has prepared me for my new career in writing books. Yes, my first book in development now is titled...

''How to destroy a fortune 500 company for dummies, by a dummy,'' an unauthorized biography of the John Donahoe experience as CEO.

Future ceo's can now learn from the master of ''disruption'' himself......

by: slightly cynical

Thu Sep 2 17:01:29 2010

I learned there is no such thing as rock bottom. Hard to spring back.

by: Laverne and Shirley

Thu Sep 2 17:02:22 2010

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
ahahahahahahahahahaahaahaahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaah!!!!!!!!!!

by: Jim This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 2 17:04:28 2010

Customer service.
Packing and Shipping.

by: Ed Bay

Thu Sep 2 17:04:31 2010

I've decided to become a professional blood doner and live under a bridge.

by: Rich

Thu Sep 2 17:07:31 2010

Really guys---don't you get terminally brain-numbed finding something interesting to say about eBay? I would rather be a crash dummy for GM (government motors).

by: another side of the coin

Thu Sep 2 17:28:10 2010

@Rich

We aren't whiners, we are weaners.

After all of eBay's banter over the years being told to quit your job and sell full-time on eBay, we now need to refocus and wean ourselves from eBay. We put time, energy and focus into eBay to build our business just to have it be harshly ''disrupted'' and taking our livelihood away. We need to find other ways to make a living and hopefully some of the skills we have learned along the way can be applied to other careers.

by: Rich

Thu Sep 2 20:37:05 2010

"We aren't whiners, we are weaners."

Time to shift gears. It's tough, but when times get tough, the tough get going. Corporate America is out for itself.

by: My Own Website Not Quite Paying My Bills Yet

Thu Sep 2 21:00:23 2010

I was going to start blog about auction sites but somebody beat me to it.

by: eBuyer Feedback This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 2 21:31:25 2010

It might prepare you for other careers but the employers certainly don't think so.  Of all the job interviews I've been on only one company seemed to think my online selling was a positive and not a huge negative.  It is as if selling on eBay negates my college education and years of work experience.

Don't take my word for it though.   Randy Smythe was one of the largest sellers ever on eBay and he couldn't even get a job at the local CVS Pharmacy afterwards.

yed-get-off-your-ass-and.html

by: Troglodyte

Thu Sep 2 21:36:19 2010

The new ebay offers a comprehensive education for impoverishing senior citizens, sending single mothers to welfare, and the ushering rest of us to homeless shelters.

The new ebay is a blue print for the coming new feudal society corporations are preparing for us.

by: It's the Sellers, stupid

Thu Sep 2 23:49:17 2010

I've become adept with anger management, repetitive response management, communicating with those possessing limited reading comprehension skills, buyer's remorse, and the inability to grasp the basic concept of bidding and paying.

I'm now qualified to be parent.

1 2 3  [Next Page]