Wed Sept 1 2010 14:35:25

TechCrunch Blows eBay Google Checkout Story

Four years after eBay banned sellers from offering Google Checkout, TechCrunch is unaware of the fact and incorrectly reported it as news today. A story went out over 3 hours ago, and other bloggers jumped on the bandwagon with posts of their own, including Investors Business Daily. Misinformation spreads fast on the Internet.

Vendio's Mike Effle quickly notified TechCrunch through a comment on the blog post that eBay had never allowed Google Checkout. Others left comments confirming Mike's post, and linked to the 2006 article from AuctionBytes. Even eBay's corporate blogger weighed in on the comments.

But what is most hard to believe is that TechCrunch removed the comments from its blog post - could it be censoring those who dare criticize its accuracy in reporting? Maybe it's one of those Internet things and the comments will reappear, I've tweeted the author to ask why the comments were removed.

Twelve minutes after I asked the author, the comments were back, but no response from the author. Hmm.

If you want to know what eBay's August 24th announcement was about, here's the AuctionBytes coverage.

TechCrunch Blows eBay Google Checkout Story   TechCrunch Blows eBay Google Checkout Story

by: Troglodyte

Wed Sep 1 14:51:44 2010

Hmmm....indeed! TechCrunch behaves similarly to ebay except that I've never seen a censored thread magically re appear on ebay.

by: Harriet This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 1 17:49:01 2010

I read that today when I was checking out the stock market, and I said to myself, "Huh?". I couldn't believe they were so out of touch. That's embarrassing.

Well, several people set them straight.

BTW, I use Google Checkout on eCrater and it is fantastic! Most of my orders go through Google Checkout there, even though I also have PayPal available. So I'm guessing that others like it as well as I do. I have no idea what all the naysayers are even talking about. Haven't had even one problem with them. I hope it grows and grows!

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 1 19:02:41 2010

A LOT of the articles out there are erroneous in one way or another when it comes to Ebay.  Its a clear lack of understanding the topic and in understanding how that company operates.

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 1 19:05:49 2010

Incidentally, even Jerry Brown's new ad against Meg Whitman is erroneous and shows a lack of understanding the company.  It said when the new CEO took office he LOWERED FEES!!!  Who is writing all this stuff???  A bunch of mental giants!

This user has validated their user name. by: Doc

Wed Sep 1 19:10:21 2010

I have had a Google checkout account since they came out. It's quick and easy to email a client an invoice for internet services.

And the buy-now buttons are quite handy for selling items on a simple website without an automated checkout system.

I think it's easier for a buyer to pay than with PayPal. Never had any problems with GC either.

This user has validated their user name. by: Doc

Wed Sep 1 19:14:28 2010

"Incidentally, even Jerry Brown's new ad against Meg Whitman is erroneous and shows a lack of understanding the company.  It said when the new CEO took office he LOWERED FEES!!!  Who is writing all this stuff??? A bunch of mental giants!"

Probably the same ones that are drinking the eBay PR Cool Aid..

Vote For MEG.. LOL!

This user has validated their user name. by: Pete

Wed Sep 1 21:49:43 2010

BTW, I use Google Checkout on eCrater and it is fantastic!

Yes just a pity they(eCrater/Google) can't figure out that the US$ is not the only currency in the World of on-line selling.
I have a UK registered account with eCrater and can't accept payment due to $-GBP incompatability and this is almost 2011

by: nancy

Wed Sep 1 22:46:51 2010

The ONLY good thing to come out of this is that Ming The Merciless commented.

Wondered whatever happened to Ming.

I seriously doubt eBay will even be a player by July of 2011.

I haven't found one item I  wanted to buy in months and months there.

It's a shame, I used to buy everything off of eBay.

But to go through 14,000 listings to find a few similar ones, is just ridiculous. If I won't do it, nobody will.

Who ever approved the best match they use is a RETARD--pure and simple. (a retard with a large MBA under glass on their wall, but still a retard. Like the saying goes, you can put lipstick on a pig...)

If I can't find what I want after ten years, and being a seller, logged in almost 24 hours each day, something is truly wrong.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Sep 2 02:14:02 2010

I've seen comments (mine and other's) removed from TechCrunch recently; and they did not come back.

by: Troglodyte

Thu Sep 2 13:08:59 2010

@ Philip Cohen

Removal of unflattering or critical comments is just sooooo ebay.

Perhaps former ebay employees work at Tech Crunch or someone gets paid under the table either by ebay or social engineers LieWorld to remove them.

In either case, it speaks very poorly of their credibility or lack thereof.