Thu Aug 26 2010 13:04:21

Selling on Facebook with Help from Some Friends

Facebook recently launched a Friends Tab on the Facebook Marketplace, the application that allows users to post items for sale (or shop for items from their network of friends). The Friends Tab is designed to make it easier to see what your friends are buying, selling or giving away, according to Oodle, which powers the classifieds marketplace app for Facebook.

You can find the Facebook Marketplace app on the Facebook Apps Directory or go right to Facebook Marketplace.

When checking the new feature, I noticed collectibles, jewelry, clothing and accessories for sale by "friends of friends." Here's a screenshot showing earrings and a Coach purse from friends of Walt Kolenda (AuctionWally), with whom I'm friends with on Facebook.

Clicking on the Marketplace listing for the diamond earrings, I noticed that the seller included a link to a marketplace listing on Highwire (formerly buyitsellit) where shoppers could purchase the item:

"To Purchase Or For More Information Please Visit: (link)"

The seller who had listed the Coach purse included no such link in her listing. Facebook friends would have to click the blue "Respond" button to contact the seller, or could Like, Share, or Comment on the listing.

In the Marketplace, I have the option of filtering listings to see only items my friends are selling, or broaden it to see everyone in my network and friends of friends. I can also view categories in the left navigation column - this screenshot shows just how much a marketplace this application has become.

I realize this may sound like gobbledygook if you don't have a Facebook. I'm interested to learn what AuctionBytes Blog readers think of Facebook Marketplace if they've used it.

Are social networking sites worth the time, or are you better off focusing on other channels? Do you ever shop on Facebook or get curious about what your friends might be selling?

Facebook Marketplace isn't the only ecommerce application on Facebook - we've covered some of the others, including Payvment. And most of the marketplaces including eBay and Etsy have Facebook apps. What's working for you?

eBay used feedback to instill trust in ecommerce - does social networking have the potential for creating a better trusted marketplace? One flaw may be that most of us are a bit too "friendly," and allow strangers into our network of friends!

Selling on Facebook with Help from Some Friends   Selling on Facebook with Help from Some Friends

by: Digby

Thu Aug 26 19:19:51 2010

Thanks Ina
That is great timing as I have just set up a Fan Page for my product.

I had heard of Facebooks Payvment and that was going to be my next step.
But I had not heard of Market Place.

I tend to think that it will be good for sellers (word of mouth) and friends recommendations etc.

This is how Kaboodle works.

People are spending a lot of time on Facebook.

I just went into it and saw an item a friend of mine was selling!

by: Smitty This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 27 01:05:28 2010

When every other person on this orb has a Facebook page, I still won't have one.

It's just a bit too 1984ish for me.

Smitty

by: unusual1 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 27 12:26:00 2010

For me facebook and twitter are absolutely useless. I found Linkedin of some benefit. The people on F & T seem to want everything for almost no cost, not worth the time. On Linkedin I have made some good business connections for appraisals. I don't think any of them are of use for sales of merchandise.

by: Helen

Fri Aug 27 14:05:43 2010

We've made it easy and free for people to sell their Vendio Store inventory on Facebook.

Therefore, even if you're not 100% convinced the selling via social media works - this app takes your items and lists them in less than 2 minutes.  It's worth the time to open another sales channel.

by: Troglodyte

Fri Aug 27 14:21:32 2010

I agree with Smitty but for a different reason.

Odds are that Facebook and Twitter today's MySpace. Something else will come along to replace them.

They may be OK for a seller who's primarily a hobbyist, but the labor to return ratio to use either as a sales venue or gateway is too low.

"Friends" expect big discounts. Give "friends" a "discount" once, and you're stuck giving them discounts forever or lose the customer.

I think business is business and social is social, and to mix the two is profitable for Twitter and Facebook, but in the end not so much for sellers. Just my opinion based on decades on experience.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Fri Aug 27 15:03:00 2010

Someone else was just telling me how helpful they found LinkedIn.

by: o.c.d.collectibles This user has validated their user name.

Sat Aug 28 14:25:47 2010

I don't really like linkedin that much. Too many of my "work" related folks are there, from NURSING and County Government...ewww.. I don't need them snooping into my online selling entity and what I do with antiques..it's none of their beezwax!LOL!

by: Suzanne

Thu Sep 2 11:00:57 2010

I think it greatly depends on what you are selling. One of our web businesses does well using Facebook and another one has not made one sale. Some products / services lend themselves to socializing and others do not.