Tue Aug 24 2010 11:27:41

eBay Still Ambivalent about Third-Party Checkout Ban

eBay UK announced this morning it was banning third-party checkout - you must click directly on the URL to view the announcement.

eBay.com has since announced it too will ban 3P checkout - "eBay will be moving to a single, consolidated checkout process, and effective June 30, 2011."

eBay first announced it would ban 3P Checkout in 2008, but it faced pushback from vendors who wanted to be able to continue to include merchandising features that allowed sellers to upsell and cross-sell shoppers on items located on their own websites. Last year, it restricted access to 3P Checkout and forced vendors to provide a consistent User Interface.

But as I wrote a month ago, buyers have been reporting bad experiences when using third-party checkout.

See details in today's Newsflash article.

eBay Still Ambivalent about Third-Party Checkout Ban   eBay Still Ambivalent about Third-Party Checkout Ban

by: asif

Tue Aug 24 11:44:55 2010

I for one won't be sorry to see it go. When ever I bought from a seller using third party checkout, it was a horrible experience. Good riddance!

by: buck efay

Tue Aug 24 12:03:41 2010

This is the scary part:
What does THAT mean? They are finally going to roll out a shopping cart? Knowing Ebay it will be a glitch filled mess of a cart, with one broken wheel that goes round in circles.

by: whoops

Tue Aug 24 12:14:40 2010

Just another example of how eBay is trying to become Amazon....and will fail doing so. This will not allow sellers to funnel traffic to their own websites anymore so just one less reason to sell on eBay and to move to Amazon, or to your own site.

by: Tony

Tue Aug 24 13:13:24 2010

This is going to make it much harder to cross market to my customers, on the other hand, I see less and less reason for using ChannelAdvisor. I may as well use eBay's tools, and that could save me money.

by: Roger

Tue Aug 24 13:43:42 2010

I'm active on ebay as both a buyer and as a seller. From both standpoints, I applaud this change. In my experience, the large sellers using the 3rd party checkouts provide TERRIBLE customer service, botch seemingly simple orders, scalp on shipping as well as "restock" fees... and, yes, the checkout mechanisms are frequently "messed up" (as in, oops -- try again later, or "error: gUe4RghRlh" whatever). Further, the majority of sellers I've interacted with who use 3P checkouts continually spam my email.

On a separate note, I'm disappointed to note the Auctionbytes blog article bears a "thumbs down" graphic. Does AB have a vested interest, a reason to be upset by this news item? If not, does AB perceive us (the site audience) as a "bitch and moan" collective... and expects the thumbs down graphic will appeal to us? There are PLENTY of editorial gripe sites I could visit (but rarely do); I visit here looking for straight up NEWS.

by: honeybunch

Tue Aug 24 14:03:54 2010

If the "single, consolidated checkout process" includes a shopping cart, then here's an interesting read.  Scott Wingo's blog talks about some of the issues currently happening with the eBay UK shopping cart.  Lots of good screenshots and details.  Here's an excerpt of some of the issues:

"...the basket has several bugs including:

- Frequently when items are added to the cart, they don't actually go into the cart.

- Over a period of 24-48 hours, items drop out of the cart

- The cart's shipping and handling calculations can sometimes get 'off' and create an endless loop."

Anyway, here's the link if you want to read more:

by: Smallville

Tue Aug 24 14:50:37 2010

Auctiva has been on the fence about offering/implementing a selling platform totally separate from eBay for a couple of years now. They'll now regret putting all their eggs in the e-basket. They may as well close up shop.

by: Ebay Say it Ain't So

Tue Aug 24 22:51:34 2010

The day can't come soon enough for Ebay to ban 3P checkouts. Especially Channeladvisor which costs Ebay buyers and sales. Scot Wingo has absolutely no place to talk about glitches and problems with Ebay's checkout when his own fails to work properly constantly. I just wince every time I go to purchase something and that stinking Channeladvisor logo is present. If I can I just pass it by and try to find someone else who offers the same merchandise. Come on Ebay push that deadline up a little. Q4 sounds good to me as both a buyer and seller.

by: colorful one

Wed Aug 25 04:29:15 2010

don't use anything of ebay's.

by: Just Another Disappointed eBayer

Wed Aug 25 17:02:53 2010

Remember when eBay was a site where traders could meet up and decide between themselves how to make an exchange? Every day it seems like eBay is stepping farther and farther away from their roots. They've wanted to be Amazon.com for so long, they've forgotten who they are.

by: Fruity This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 31 01:16:18 2010

buyers reporting bad experiences but sellers are complainers, is that how its supposed to go?

snort

by: Klyde

Thu Nov 11 16:11:37 2010

I'm happy to hear ebay is banning 3P checkouts.  I hate them.  I've only run into them recently, but it has changed my buying experience from fun and easy to stressful and complicated.  I'm considering dumping ebay all together for now.

by: Don't be afraid

Tue Jan 18 06:36:19 2011

Well eBay is a good place for business and I think this will not be the biggest problem for eBay sellers. Everything is clear for me, they just want to have more control of everything. But what we can do? I think nothing. I dont know better auction site for now and it will be always.