Thu July 15 2010 14:53:27

eBay CEO John Donahoe Video from June D8 Conference

Wall Street Journal just published the video of Walt Mossberg's interview with eBay CEO John Donahoe at the All Things D D8 conference last month. It's 35 minutes but worth watching, some rough notes follow on what I thought was most interesting.

At about 16:15, John reveals some statistics on phishing emails, saying the problem of eBay/PayPal phishing is down 80% over the last 5 years.

At 20:00, John talks about eBay sales via mobile apps. When John said the iPad offers the best eBay browsing experience, Walt asked, if eBay has been working on the Web browser for years, why isn't that the best browsing experience. John replies, and talks about the vertical (category) experiences on mobile apps.

At 23:50 - Walt asked John why eBay paid so much attention to fashion? (oops, JD mistakenly referred to Fashion.ebay.com as Fashion Vault.)

28:04 - Questions from the audience, Wall Street analyst Mary Meeker up first on PayPal micropayments. John said PayPal will have beta tests of micropayments in the media world in the fall (for example, pay for an article on the iPad with PayPal).

At 30:10 Jan from CBS asks, how do you answer the complaint that eBay nickel and dimed users to death. John said things have changed. (wow, it's free to list on eBay, he says!) eBay had a billion dollars in feature fees 2.5 years ago, they'll be less than $300 million this year.

At 32:37, an attendee asks about the frustration of PayPal's default for payment funding source (i.e., funding a transaction with a bank account versus credit card).

eBay CEO John Donahoe Video from June D8 Conference   eBay CEO John Donahoe Video from June D8 Conference

by: fat frog

Thu Jul 15 15:04:43 2010

A talking head. Did you see it bobble.

by: listings are free

Thu Jul 15 15:37:49 2010

At 31:19 minutes in Donahoe tells Jan from CBS that listings are free.

He wouldn't blatantly lie in public now would he?

I'm calling for my listing fees to be refunded right now... BOSSES ORDERS!

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Jul 15 16:20:14 2010

I watched the earlier shorter version; he looked like a demented chimpanzee throwing its arms around in the air; and what he had to say ... ugh! I find it hard to believe this guy even got a second interview; I doubt that I will be able to sit through 35 minutes version without being sick, but I guess we should all try, even if just to confirm what a fool this brain-dead monkey is.

by: Troglodyte

Thu Jul 15 17:06:32 2010

This interview should be reported to the SEC.

It contain one provably false statement after another. They were made in public and the purpose of helping stock prices.

This guy must be on psychotrophic drugs for some condition or another. It wouldn't be for his sociopathy beause there's no drug that induces a conscience.

He looks ten years old than he did just last year.

In world of spinners and liars, DONahoe stands above the crowd.

by: We know better

Thu Jul 15 17:08:06 2010

I call BS on the paypal phishing statement.
Paypal is still in the top 10 if not 5 phishing targets. Always has been.  I challenge Donahoe to provide proof of that statement. Looks misleading, false designed to deceive public and shreholders imo.

BTW, why didn't he mention that sites to buy bogus paypal accounts are up by at least 300% ?

by: Carly S.

Thu Jul 15 17:43:21 2010

I can't stand to look at him. His face, his voice, his demeanor ... it makes my skin crawl. He's got that arrogant GWBush smirk and a smug, self-serving smarminess about him. (No wonder Meg likes him so.)

by: John

Thu Jul 15 18:10:35 2010

Okay 90,000,000 active users of which 75,000,000 million of those are buyers who have multiple id's so they do not get caught for buyer fraud. Way to Jan from CBS, Jan from CBS got lied to, you pay listing fees, and with paypal you pay 16% to ebay and paypal for the majority of your sales. Also Bonanzle, etsy, Atomicmall, Craiglist, Webstore and your own website are so much cheaper that ebay, and authorize.net for credit cards is cheaper than paypal. C'mon John your nose was growing as you spoke you sir are dishonest.

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 15 18:13:23 2010

I think Jan from CBS was priceless....she kept hitting that nail on the head and Donahoe visibly squirmed - especially after he bragged about his "free listings" LOL.  I would have loved for HER to interview Donahoe!  She knew what she was talking about and just what to ask!

by: Ric Roe

Thu Jul 15 18:20:40 2010

I just can't bring myself to watch this video.

The only thing I would invest time to see would be Donahoe's final interview announcing his resignation.

Of course, the way this guy lies, spins and obfuscates, even that interview would likely be loaded with lies and deceit.

by:

Thu Jul 15 18:24:41 2010

with regards to the question about payment options defaulting to bank account, and the inabilty to easily change that, ei references to radio buttons on GCO.

September 28, 2006
PayPal to Pay $1.7 Million to 28 States, Modifies Payment Practices

... Today’s settlement ensures that PayPal spells out important terms and conditions before a consumer becomes a PayPal member and when members initiate transactions. The agreement also requires that whenever a PayPal member gets ready to make a purchase he or she will be presented with a clear choice regarding what form of payment to use. ...

A copy of the PayPal settlement is available at:
.pdf

I
don't believe that paypal has fulfilled their end of that agreement.
I also believe they may have had other suite(s) due to users' choice of funding mechanism being deceptive and/or
misleading. The present procedure is a complete farce!

People in the affected states mentioned above should file complaints to everywhere possible. There are other things in that agreement also, such as phone access to qualified personnel within a time frame.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Jul 15 18:41:12 2010

Well, I watched it and indeed I have seen chimpanzees make better use of their hands when expressing themselves. Then, I recall an investment analyst once saying that a monkey could run eBay. Well, maybe, but the eBay Board should best keep looking for one that is not a brain dead, lying, sociopath—some sense of ethics would be nice, too.

The evening of the 21st can't come quickly enough for me so I can hear the Chief Headless Turkey spin his latest sob story to the market.

by: another side of the coin

Thu Jul 15 19:13:00 2010

Auctions are 30% and the reason for that is JD for the last two years has set out to destroy auctions. Ask the 90,000,000 users if they considered auctions dead before Donahoe took over.

I'm sure Walt was thinking what is it with this guy and his hands. I bet you he was so glad when this interview ended.

JD is such a moron. He IS delusional.  Not everyone who has a computer, has an iphone or ipad and has it glued in their hands like Donahoe. I swear every video, talk, presentation, he mentions it and brings it out.

by: Kal

Thu Jul 15 20:12:54 2010

Normally, I might watch this. But I just ate and I don't want to throw up.

Besides, there's nothing he has to say that I want to hear.

by: Et tu, Brute!

Thu Jul 15 20:13:52 2010

I thought I would pop in to say, a few days of non-ebay articles was a most welcome relief.

If it's an ebay article, no longer do I  bother to stop and read it.  Days go by now and I don't even check to see what's new.

Not in the too distant future, the clicks will come from all the positive, supportive, growth-oriented articles on what is going on with other selling sites and such features and how to pursue this growth in a positive manner, in turn attracting a whole NEW Auctionbytes fan base.  To do so will attract a whole NEW crop of followers.  I say this, because I saw Auctionbytes mentioned in the ETsy forums awhile back.  But if newbies only stumble across constant ebay drivel, they wont return!

The ebay articles are getting old and tired.  Likewise, the ebay hate comments are getting old and tired.

The stock site Seeking Alpha re ebay does not have nearly the action it did even a year ago, as everyone but the stock watchers have moved on and away.  Randy Smythe has moved on.  I can't even remember the last time I went to Power Sellers Unite.

Please give this some serious attention. I realize it will be a bit like revisiting to Ground Zero and but Auctionbytes is established.  The reporting is too superior to become characterized as nothing but an ebay reporting site.  If the ebay percentage is even as much as 50, it's too much.  The whole ebay scenario is getting soooooooo old.

I really and truly am seriously tired of ebay, ebay, ebay.

by: Harriet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 15 20:24:16 2010

So right near the beginning of the interview, he's telling untruths. Approx. between 3-5 minutes, he says that many of the items on eBay now are BRAND NEW, and a few seconds later, he says that they are not the SAME brand new that you would get in the store, but rather eBay's brand new items are store returns that have been opened by the customer, (maybe even used by the customer) and returned, or they may be refurbished.

What kind of doublespeak is that?

If we, as small sellers tried to sell opened, used, refurbished items as brand new, we'd get kicked higher than the moon, have SNADs filed against us, risk low DSRs and negative feedback and loss of standing resulting in loss of revenue.

He's as slippery as an eel.

I agree with the lady who was so persistent in her questions. She made some sharp points.

by: buck efay

Thu Jul 15 20:55:31 2010

Et Tu Brute, no point in reading & commenting then, eh? Some of us are FASCINATED by this ahole & how he killed the golden goose, and watching every tick of his failure clock gives ebay sellers something to do while they wait for Dunderho's tidal wave of new buyers, LOL!

by: steen1

Thu Jul 15 21:25:04 2010

A lot of hand waving and 35 minutes of saying absolutely nothing apart from deceiving people into believing listings are free - typical of this man.

by: another side of the coin

Thu Jul 15 21:47:32 2010

That's what snake oil salesmen do, JD knows how to divert, con, spin .. he has been trained to do this all his life and has become smooth as a slithering snake. He probably started as a kid great at lying and got away with a lot. Then onto the Bain of Thieves. I'm pretty sure he isn't acting alone in this plan to change/destroy eBay.

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 15 22:16:07 2010

I think it will be a long long time before sellers stop bashing Ebay.  As long as JD is in office the ''noise'' will continue and I suggest people who are sick of it would do better on other sites.  I think that sellers feel if they can no longer profit on Ebay then JD will not profit either - so it goes and so far they've done quite a bit of damage to the reputation of that site simply by word of mouth.  So much so that Donahoe mentioned it in his last quarterly guidance report.

I know after 12 mostly successful years of selling on Ebay I'm not about to simply stop telling the truth about them.  They took a great idea and through sheer greed they destroyed countless small sellers who depended on ebay. Those small sellers are not just going to forget Ebay.

If Donahoe's destruction ended in a great success then I can see the reason for it....but it has not succeeded and management has turned to lies and deceit in order to make it look as though they are on their way to the top!

Well....now I've made it my hobby to speak out and I'll be doing just that for the foreseeable future - if not here then wherever - even on line at the post office... ;-)

by: Ron

Thu Jul 15 23:00:46 2010

Among the many things that JD said I take exception to was that eBay wasn't determining the "fixed price versus auction mix" (70% to 30% as opposed to what once was 100% auctions) and that eBay's mission was simply to "connect" buyers and sellers.

In fact, since Donahoe's been at the helm, eBay has been highly interventionist.  Through a series of disruptive policies, including fee structure changes, private costing deals with Diamond sellers, seller ratings and feedback process changes, they have slowly, but surely strangled small sellers and favored larger sellers of product that they wanted to see featured on the site, namely new, returned inventory and liquidation items at fixed price.

Consumers didn't "ask" for this.  They were simply forced to accept that those types of new, fixed price items were the most visible and plentiful on the site, so much so that other more interesting items, including auction items, were simply rendered very difficult to find within all of the search "clutter".

He even goes on to state that consumers should be listing by auction and businesses by fixed price.  I am a small business that did a very good business on eBay for 11 years by selling solely by auction format.  Who is he to state how I should sell?  If that isn't interventionist, what is?

There's a smarmy dishonestly to the half-truths that are being spewed by him in this interview.  I realize that he has no choice but to be chief cheerleader for his company, but by now the real truth is being discovered and his statements are being challenged by people like Jan from CBS.

I'm sure that he's sincere in his belief that eBay needed to pursue growth areas of e-commerce.

Unfortunately, his modus operandi have been destructive and disrespectful of the community that originally built the marketplace. And that will probably be his ultimate undoing - in some cases the end does not justify the means

1 2 3 4  [Next Page]