Thu July 1 2010 15:42:29

eBay Discontinues AdCommerce Ad Program for Sellers

eBay sellers will no longer be able to purchase ads to promote their listings. eBay announced today it is discontinuing the AdCommerce pay-per-click advertising program in the U.S. and Canada effective August 4. eBay had also recently terminated its Featured First advertising program that allows Top Rated sellers to pay for top placement in search results.

The AdCommerce program was similar to eBay's version of Google Adwords and Amazon Product Ads, allowing advertisers to buy ads that appear on the eBay marketplace. There were more than 5.5 billion views of AdCommerce ads served on eBay Inc. weekly, according to the company in May.

In a letter sent to sellers who were registered for the program, eBay said, "We understand that these AdCommerce ads may have provided an advantage to your business. At the same time we are confident that consistently displaying the most relevant items is in the best interest of buyers, sellers and the eBay marketplace."

Sellers will not be required to take any action, and their AdCommerce ads will automatically expire on August 4;  final billing will be sent out in early September. The service will continue for eBay sellers using AdCommerce in Europe and Australia.

eBay Discontinues AdCommerce Ad Program for Sellers   eBay Discontinues AdCommerce Ad Program for Sellers

by: Jason

Thu Jul 1 16:12:45 2010

eBay cannot figure out which direction they want to go, one day they zig, the next they zag.....

by: fat frog

Thu Jul 1 16:14:37 2010

They are grasping for the life line now. It won't be long and they will all drown in their own stupidity.

by: whatever.

Thu Jul 1 16:18:08 2010

I'm thinking this is good news for small sellers--what am I missing?

And is that Ina in the new pic?

by: Itch

Thu Jul 1 16:31:53 2010

Looks like the Diamond sellers will be the only sellers offered pay-per-click?  The small sellers were ouclicking the diamonds, so Johnny got pressured?  Most likely just another way to destroy the small sellers.  Ebay hasn't figured out that once small sellers leave, they also stop buying (on ebay).  Time to hedge against ebay stock and let the slide continue; down under 20 today from a high of 27 in March.  Sell!

by: 628646

Thu Jul 1 16:34:08 2010

Did the ebay braintrust happen to see this?

ebaY Sponsored Ads Send Surfers to Other Online Auction Sites

by: Fruity This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 1 17:08:33 2010

ebay spent all that time and money to get their Internet Ad Bureau ( IAB )  accreditation for adcommerce. they're not discontinuing it, they're just again BAITING AND SWITCHING BY CUTTING OUT SMALL BUSINESSES FROM PURCHASING ADVERTISING. So they can go and have the BIG DESPERATE RETAILERS WHO will pay MORE and this again, ebay will find another more innovative and creative way to get more share of your wallet. and furthers their decade long agenda of putting competitors and external sites on the ebay marketplace

They're not discontinuing it, they're just terminating YOU to be able to have it. Big friggin difference ebay, find whatever sleazy reasoning you can but that's the reality. if you want to draw attention to this, then scream how ebay just flopped out a poorly thought out ADVERTISING PLATFORM and took in dollars and then decided to kick its paid ADVERTISERS OFF. Media looks quite differently at ADVERTISING business vs. Ebay "listing ads"

you aholes

by: Fruity This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 1 17:12:53 2010

It also makes one wonder whether after ebay was rigging their ad program to they could get that quality clicks awards and then scale back to typical poop levels ebay is known for. You may not be gaming the system, but you sure are gaming the process. I wonder if that highest quality clicks award still flies once you change it

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Jul 1 17:21:15 2010

“At the same time we are confident that consistently displaying the most relevant items [as per “Best Match”] is in the best interest of buyers, sellers and the eBay marketplace.”

Which simply means that eBay is now reserving the right for itself alone to manipulate the order of appearance of items on their marketplace—in the best interests of eBay alone you can be assured. Gee, and here I was thinking that they were only a “notice board provider”.

I always refer to eBay “members” as eBay “users”, for to refer to them as “members”, as eBay does, is to imply that the organisation is run for some benefit of those members—it is not. No action taken—or not taken—by eBay management has anything to do with benefiting or protecting eBay users—buyers or sellers; eBay’s every action—or lack thereof—is purposed solely towards benefitting eBay and its managing executives, and by whatever means—no matter how unscrupulous—undoubtedly more to do with the attempted recovery of those long lost executive performance bonuses than with any direct consideration for stockholders—and if at any time there appears to be any benefit to eBay “users”, that will be purely coincidental.

.php?p=6502877

eBay/PayPal/Donahoe:
Dead Men Walking

by: cucko

Thu Jul 1 17:28:56 2010

Ebay called me at the beinning of June and has been calling me for 3 months asking me why I paused my adcommerce campaigns and really gave me a hardsell to try it again.
So at the beginning of June I spent a few hours and set it up again.

If they are worried about sending people off the site they have been doing it for years now with they're own ads.
They're nuts.

More people leaving means more traffic on other sites. I finally see a light at the end of this dark tunnel where eBay has been hiding our ads.

by: Tired

Thu Jul 1 17:29:21 2010

I started using AC in Sept of last year and it did increase the traffic and sales to my listings... I have noticed that the clicks have gone way down (along with the cost) since the end of March and sales are off by over 60%... So I wonder if sales will be off by 80% when they cut this feature off also.

There had to be some dollars generated here for eBay and I don't think it cost them very much as you couldn't call and talk to a rep, just email and hope you get an answer which I never did.  I had another eBay seller help me out.

Up until the end of March sales were great no problems with buyers, eBay working well and PayPal too.  Not to say that I was happy with the fees and feedback garbage and so on but I was making money.  But now I must say that I need to join the majority here and say eBay is headed down the toilet at least for small and medium sized sellers.  Very sad situation to just witness this whole situation.

What I am also very concerned about is that NON OF THE OTHER VENUES COMBINED are generating any decent amount of sales.  I have listed all of my items (over 1000) on 3 sites and a few hundred on several others.

by: old timer

Thu Jul 1 17:31:03 2010

So, let me get this straight.  eBay just decided to do away with a service that sellers actually paid money to eBay for to place ads to try to improve their traffic on eBay.

Does that mean that eBay has so much revenue flow that they don't want the additional ad revenue (plus more FVF from the supposed increase in sales these sellers might get from the ads)?

Right!  Sure, all this really means is that eBay is going to do another underhanded, back room deal with bigger sellers to squeeze out the smaller sellers.  Wait and see.  I can't imagine that there won't be some sort of advertising taking the place of the Ad Commerce ads.  Mom and Pop sellers just won't be allowed to participate!

eBay -- just a venue my butt!

Ina, please, please devote more editorial/news space on this site to helping sellers learn how to take their businesses to other sites including their own web sites as well as Bonanzle, Ecrater, and all the rest.  I'm tired of eBay treating us like unwanted third-world scum (let alone second class citizens).

If the eBay vision is a world dominated only by the Diamond Sellers, what do California voters expect to get from Governor Meg?  Open you eyes people!

It is astonishing how eBay, a company that was built by the smaller seller/buyer, now is so hated by so many of those same people.

by: they are nuts

Thu Jul 1 17:36:36 2010

Just got the  personal call from eBay.
We just wanted you to know that we are cancelling adcommerce.

"ebay will now depend on best match only"

Uh Oh!

by: Ilikespaghettios

Thu Jul 1 17:45:38 2010

''ebay will now depend on best match only''

I'll eat a hat filled with spaghettios if they don't fill that space with something distasteful to the previous, now booted users.

by: unaware This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 1 18:02:16 2010

Great new photo Ina!

by: Hardrock Rules

Thu Jul 1 18:17:03 2010

IT WAS SAID: So at the beginning of June I spent a few hours and set it up again.

"This morning I got the announcement. I was gob smacked when I read that they were cancelling it.

They had to know when they called to hustle me to sign on again that it was going to be cancelled? Are they crazy!"

In my opinion yes JD and eBay are crazy ! Rest assured whatever you are used to using today, or what new rule comes out, you cannot use for long to help your business, cause these nut jobs change everything.

They don't get it, BEST MATCH has killed eBay ! it has killed sellers income, and discouraged TONS OF BUYERS onto never using eBay again with all the garbage that comes up.

It totally feeds sales to the top that makes it, while all others LITERALLY waste their very hard earned money and never get seen, even if they offer the better deal.

Make time ending soonest again the default, I am willing to quit the  TSR program. I need INCOME and sales, not a badge and 20% back of weak sales, that favor others in Best Match.

Are the share holders really going to sit back any longer and let JD's new scheme Best Match onlybe implemented ?

It does not have a snowballs chance in hell of helping most sellers, or turning eBay around ! It will only favor the top of the page for sales, ALL other sellers wil be buried, as the Top of the page will get the most sales, and stay at the top, while the rest of us waste our money for no views, no sales and buried.

I am damn sick of listing a 1 day item at the best price on auction, having a super reputation, but some seller with more items listed lists his 30 day Fixed Price listing, and it ranks ahead of mine.

Every seller with every good, in every category needs to be seen as it ends soonest, that would increase sales for allot of us sellers, and bring back a much needed simplicity for the buyers and shoppers !

Your a clown in my opinion JD, I can't believe you get paid for this DESTRUCTIVE INNOVATION

by: Hardrock Rules

Thu Jul 1 18:21:38 2010

I also have a very strong impression that allot of this seller extermination, and gagging us into quitting and the way way Donahoe is shaping up Best Match has to do with the Pay Pal IRS thing coming soon.

He only wants stores with mega listings to run on eBay, small sellers, medium are out of luck, that has to be part of the reason, or nobody could sit back on the BOD and let this man ruin this company as he has.

by: stupid jd

Thu Jul 1 18:22:01 2010

How ridiculous, I am so utterly tired of this stupid ebay ceo.

The only decent thing on the whole site is getting canned how great!

idiots idiots idiots.

They are for sure the stupidest commerce site on the entire web!

Diamonds will not make ebay or save them. The old ebay was what worked. They keep pushing away more and more of the community with each and every Donahoe Doofis change!

I'm entirely sick of it all, John Donahoe is a disgrace to the word business.

by: Itchy

Thu Jul 1 18:24:03 2010

If ebay wanted ad relevancy with AC, they could have just allowed the auto-filling of direct keywords from the Ad/Store and disallowed custom keywords.  There's a far more sinister reason for this, and will be something really aweful like Amazon buying pay-per-click on ebay listings.  There is no security for sellers on ebay.  Pay Google for your clicks to your own domains and at least have a solid foundation to sell upon.

by: old timer

Thu Jul 1 18:46:39 2010

If eBay doesn't want my Ad Commerce revenue, fine.  I'll just transfer my Ad Commerce costs over to Google Ads.  But one thing though, none of my Google Ads point to my eBay store.  No, they already point to my other venues where the cost of doing business is far less than on eBay.  Eventually I'll leave eBay entirely and they won't get one red cent from my sales.

Good work, JD!  The other venues thank you.

And to the morons on the eBay Board of Director:  Good luck explaining the failures of your boy JD to the stockholders.

by: StunnedSeller

Thu Jul 1 18:50:23 2010

This is unreal. eBay called me 2 weeks ago to see why I hadn't used AdCommerce in awhile. I told them it didn't work and they really put on the hard sell for it. Now they can it? They have no idea what to do over there. How pathetic.

1 2 3 4  [Next Page]