Tue June 29 2010 16:45:24

Amazon.com Experiences Outage

Amazon.com is having technical issues this afternoon. I can find reports on Twitter going back an hour (it's currently 4:30 EST). Amazon's affiliate site is working, and at least one site (SmugMug) that use its AWS services is okay.

At 12:47 PM PST, Amazon posted on the Seller announcement board there were site latencies:

We are currently experiencing an issue that is impacting customers' ability to place orders on the Amazon.com website.

We are working to correct the issue and will continue to provide updates until service has been restored.

I was able to get some items to load, but for the most part, the site is pretty much useless.

Update 6/29/10 9:20 pm: Functionality has returned to the site (it may take time to roll out to all users), some sellers advise suspending activity until enough time has passed to make sure the issue has truly been resolved.

The Amazon Seller Support blog reminded sellers that it posts Technical Notifications on sellers' account home page when Amazon has a planned outage or a technical issue. The notifications appear in the top middle section of your seller account home page.

by: Rich

Tue Jun 29 16:52:10 2010

Bad news about Amazon once a month; bad news about Ebay every day

by: dcee3

Tue Jun 29 17:05:35 2010

Amazon is having serious problems. Pages are not loading. Items are not loading. Anybody have any news on when this situation will be corrected?

by: Warren Whitlock

Tue Jun 29 17:10:56 2010

thanks for posting what they said. I've been looking for an hour, and this is the first real news from Amazon I've seen.

Guess this is the PR disaster they need to start thinking like a modern Internet company.

They do everything so well.. It was a complete shock to see them react with old school "we are doing whatever we can do" PR talk.

The last @Amazon tweet is from early June!

by: another side of the coin

Tue Jun 29 17:13:33 2010

The difference is Amazon actually fixes their issues where eBay rarely fixes anything or does a half-a@@ repair. eBays answer to any technical issues or glitches is to first ignore, second deny and then make another change or half-a@@ repair on top of all the other glitches.

by: another side of the coin

Tue Jun 29 17:22:00 2010

At least Amazon is acknowledging straight up to the public that they have a problem.

by: My Own Website Not Quite Paying My Bills Yet

Tue Jun 29 17:37:02 2010

"Anybody have any news on when this situation will be corrected?"

Can't say for sure because Amazon is working with the same people who are bringing you the Ebay rolling blackouts.

by: Nicole

Tue Jun 29 18:02:00 2010

Thank you for posting this. I was wondering what happened to everything in my shopping cart!

by: RicRoe

Tue Jun 29 18:04:45 2010

A system error, AND an announcement on a public notification board.... where people can see it??  What a unique approach, and a very effective method to show your customers their time is valued.

JD, please take note this is how things work in the real world.

While you are busy mimicking Amazon please pay attention to how a real business informs their community when things are not working properly,  i.e  they recognize it, they admit it, and they promptly post it where the public can see it.

This is a major deficiency at eBay where  issues are systemically downplayed as ''glitches' and known only to those unfortunate enough to be impacted by them.

It should not take a visit to live help to find out a system is down or working improperly. The industry standard everywhere but eBay is to inform the public, and save help staff the trouble of repeatedly dealing with known issues.

by: anonymous

Tue Jun 29 18:20:56 2010

I lost my entire shopping cart of saved items (more than 50 items).  I hope it comes back when they figure out how to fix amazon.

by: WillyWonka

Tue Jun 29 18:25:13 2010

Yup. I lost my shopping cart too. Just as I was about to checkout.  I realize how much come to depend on Amazon.

I expect the site will return shortly.

by: Wild

Tue Jun 29 18:34:16 2010

It sure has been interesting, one minute I have a bad home page, like a few line repeated down the page, then it will look ok but not work, plenty of http 1.1 service unavailable.

I think for the most part they are dead in the water. Some IT guys are really taking as beating about now I would guess...

by: 2UniqueRabbits

Tue Jun 29 18:40:19 2010

Thanks for the info. We were wondering what we were doing wrong...couldn't click on an item, and when we tried to sign in, we were told to come back in 15 minutes!
We have had really great service with Amazon, both as sellers and as buyers. Any problems we had were quickly and efficiently taken care of. Can't say the same for eBay! I lost a thriving biz because of fuquing Paypal! If you have a Paypal account, make sure that it is not 'attached' to your bank account, or you may lose everything in your account, and never get it back from them!

by: Off Topic Post

Tue Jun 29 20:22:43 2010

Ina: I Love your longer hair in the updated photo.

by: Sayonara eBay

Tue Jun 29 20:23:12 2010

Amazon does not charge listing fees so it came clean with the problems.  Ebay has kept mum about the debacle on eBay for three months -- everything is just rosy --so they aren't hit with a humongous number of fee refund requests.  They're just layin' low.

by: You Look Marvelous

Wed Jun 30 05:23:03 2010

I like your new photo Ina. Gee, You Look Younger All The Time ! :)
As millions leave ebay you'll see other sites slowing down until they get new tech help for their windfall of loads of new buyers and sellers. It simply all people jumping ship as fast as they can on the sinking stinking ebay.

Amazon.com Experiences Outage   Amazon.com Experiences Outage

by: Vintage Toys This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 30 10:28:53 2010

It really does "happen to the best of them"!

by: Wooter!

Wed Jun 30 23:41:18 2010

:Amazon.com Experiences Outage:

I think they were testing themselves on the Woot! servers, LOL

Amazon.com Experiences Outage   Amazon.com Experiences Outage

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 1 01:41:21 2010

" I was wondering what happened to everything in my shopping cart! "

my cart came back tonight

by: colorful one

Thu Jul 1 03:29:18 2010

well at least amazon fixes the bugs. Can't say the same for ebay.

by: Funny Funnies

Thu Jul 1 04:57:09 2010

It was a glitch. eBay's donuthole causing more disruption.