Wed May 5 2010 22:41:55

AuctionBytes to Begin Highlighting Multi-Channel Sellers

Limiting your sales to one venue, it seems, is becoming passe. While many merchants may have cut their teeth on eBay, a substantial number of sellers have moved on or diversified their sales channels to include Amazon, Bonanzle, eCrater, or the multitude of platforms available to them. Of course, the "Golden Grail" for many merchants is developing their own retail site, allowing them to brand their business and maintain as much control of their sales as possible.

So how does a merchant jump into the pool, or at least dip their toes into it? Beginning in June, we will kick off a new series in AuctionBytes-Update, featuring merchants who have made the leap to multi-channel. By profiling sellers who have branched out, we will not only share their stories, we'll also share some of the valuable lessons they learned along the way.

It's a win-win situation. If you have already made the transition to multi-channel selling, your feature will be on the home page of AuctionBytes for two weeks, a site that gets over 5 million monthly page views. And if you are not yet selling on multiple sites, you will get valuable insight into how you can start, which venues are the most viable, and what challenges you'll encounter when starting your own retail site!

If you're interested in exploring this opportunity, let us know a little bit about yourself, and we'll get in touch with those who meet the following criteria:
  • You must be selling on a minimum of 3 channels
  • You should have your own website or storefront, even if it's in the early stages of development
  • You don't have to be a mega-seller, but you should be experienced selling online in multiple channels!
If you meet the qualifications listed above, please visit this page and let us know who you are and how to contact you.

And if you aren't selling multi-channel yet, what questions would you like us to ask sellers who are? What's holding you back? If you are selling on multiple channels, what would you like to learn more about to help you thrive? Let us know below - and if you know someone who would make a good candidate for a merchant profile, send them a link to this blog post.

AuctionBytes to Begin Highlighting Multi-Channel Sellers   AuctionBytes to Begin Highlighting Multi-Channel Sellers

by: On Lies and Secrets This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 5 23:44:17 2010

Great idea for a special feature!!!!! I am looking forward to reading it. I have a feeling you are going to get some wonderful stories and sage advice.  Thanks for providing good information and support for small businesses.  Small businesspeople are some of the most creative and resourceful folks around.

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 6 01:33:05 2010

hmmm, i know some multi-channel sellers believe heavily in having a website.  but as a bookseller i've never subscribed to it, prefering to take advantage of going where the traffic already is.  so i'd like to hear from booksellers who actually think their website is worth the effort AND from booksellers who might have tried it and decided against it.

by: Ebayseller

Thu May 6 07:17:59 2010

Awesome Ina! Look forward to getting tips!

by: Charlie.Foxtrot

Thu May 6 09:55:49 2010

Outstanding idea, Ina! Thanks!

After the past couple of weeks we could definitely use some optimistic and motivating articles.

~Charlie

by: Jim This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 6 10:21:59 2010

Good!

I need tips and encouragement.

by: Quicksilver Messenger

Thu May 6 10:41:13 2010

Kudos, Ina! Excellent idea! Right now I am in 4 different venues and am starting a couple of websites, any helpful info I might be able to glean from this venture has the potential of being worth it's weight in gold. Getting away from the disruptive monster known as eBay once and for all is my goal.You have my gratitude. Applause, applause!

by: gotta love it

Thu May 6 11:40:36 2010

This is off topic but thought this was very interesting to share with all my fellow auctionbyte loyalists.

e-back-burner-at-ebay-2010-05-06?reflink=MW_news_stmp

Wow...
I can't believe what I am reading. Is the word finally starting to get out? That is two negative articles in reference to eBay's direction within one week. You can point finger to one man and one man only by the name of Mr. John Donahoe. After all his plan to kill off auctions as they were pesky and just fed the flea market mentality. I'm sensing that the walls of the mighty empire are starting to crumble, well I can only hope so. Maybe the drums are beating for some new direction with the eBay brass.

by: yeshuazgirl

Thu May 6 12:12:52 2010

Great Idea! I will be looking forward to it and take copious notes! :)
Thanks so much for offering this most valuable information!

All The Best!!!
Patti
Patti's Pretty N Precious Store

by: Hardrock Rules

Thu May 6 14:04:12 2010

EBAY should make 2 USA Sites, CLASSIC for the oldtimes, and NEW for the Fixed Price Garbage, OR Split it, ebay Auctions, and fixed price on their other site, or better yet just close the whole damn site down alltogether, becuase Mr. Donahoe KILLED it !

It isn't worth anyones time or effort, and especially MONEY !

To late to save eBay now, they left that @sshole run it into the ground to long with to many changes, and insane seller standards.

They do not care about us, they do not care about us they do not care about us ! As soon as we ALL learn this the better, close it down Donahoe, you killed my business, and scores of others.

by: Digby

Thu May 6 14:21:34 2010

Hi Ina,
Yes x2 great idea.
Looking forward to the results.
One of the highlights of my day is checking in to your site, to see what is new !

by: gotta love it

Thu May 6 15:16:12 2010

Oh and by the way eBay gave me a courtesy call today in regards to the new upcoming changes. When the rep asked me if I was interested in hearing more about the changes, I politely declined and expressed that I have read about them already. Then I proceeded to explain that I really wasn't interested in hearing about anymore changes, and what I would like to hear about is an explanation of where have all the buyers gone? In response to that I was offered a free initial business consultation. So the impression I get is that eBay's view is that the seller must be doing something wrong and eBay has the magic potion to make it all better. Duh... I should have known better. It's all my fault.

by: FeeBay

Thu May 6 15:53:13 2010

Great idea!! JD is destroying eBay, and I definitely need to start selling at other venues.

by: whatever.

Thu May 6 20:43:37 2010

I'm in agreement with mindelec above:

I sell books and unfortunately eBay still has proven to be the best site to list on for most of them.

I have found that certain books which end without bids can be put on Amazon and sell almost immediately. But because I'm a random seller (don't pay the monthly fee) on Amazon they take basically 25% of the selling price.

I've had luck actually with iOffer in the past; I've put my few ebay listings on bonanzle but even though they've been getting healthy views there hasn't been a nibble.

I wish eBid could become the break-out alternative but really believe that their problem is the simple domain name: ebid.net It needs to be one or both of the following: ebid.com and ebidnow.com

Their redesign is great but, for example, the book that ALWAYS has sold at a premium on the ebay.co.uk and ebay.com.au sites didn't do anything on ebid.co.uk.

by: Departing seller

Thu May 6 21:39:35 2010

@whatever,

"But because I'm a random seller (don't pay the monthly fee) on Amazon they take basically 25% of the selling price."

Even with an Amazon pro-store an e-merchant can only realize 75%-85% of their full potential.
Amazon is as greedy as eBay.
The only difference is the traffic, and faster turnover rate.

I recommend you get an eCrater store and promote it as much as you can.

Also, why do people not list their eBay items on alternate sites simultaneously?
Changing the price is enough to avoid duplication (I believe).  And it feels great to kill an eBay listing after selling the same item elsewhere.

by: John

Fri May 7 13:21:14 2010

What we would like to know is what tools sellers use to list on multiple site. We use Turbo Lister and it's only for ebay and have been looking for a good converter of our TL files... or anything for that matter that will easily convert and transfer our ebay files to another site.

by: jeanne

Fri May 7 14:41:23 2010

I'm a long time ebay seller who decided to open an ecrater store. First starting out was challenging but once you get the hang of it and they have a great way of selling a similar item. Clicking on the duplicate an item, enables you to make a few changes if you need and avoid having to write in all the things that remain the same. I love it.

by: Loving the extra baskets!!!

Fri May 7 16:11:43 2010

I know it's been said over and over that ebays days are numbered but never before did I truly believe it.

This time I do. I just started moving merchandise off ebay and on to Bonanzle, Etsy and Ecrater.

So far only managed to move 60 items.
Made 125.00 on Etsy and 10.00 on Ecrater already in 2 days with only 60 items listed.
On Ebay in that same time frame with 1300 listings I made 3 dollars.

Yeah I know it's over for ebay and I couldn't be happier!

DIE YOU GREEDY PIGS AND KEEP PAYING THE MONKEY JD TO ROB THE WORLD!

by: UknowUneedAnother

Sat May 8 10:01:04 2010

Thanks for doing this!! This is going to be so useful for so many people!!

I never did sell on Ebay, the 08 policy shifts spooked me. I've opted for Etsy, Bonanzle and eCrater.

As soon as I can balance bouncing back and frth bewteen the 3, I will definitely be doing my own site next.

by: Get real

Sat May 8 13:49:21 2010

By the amount of response to this blog you can really see how many people believe in these other sites. A waste of time for most sellers of QUALTY items. Lionel trains, vintage jewelry, quality electronics, collectables???? Where are they? I SEE All JUNK!!! And the few decent items available... rediculous prices. Good luck.

by: Slightly Off Topic

Sat May 8 15:46:09 2010

Is alibris.com down for repairs? I keep getting emails that this item sold and that item sold, but when i try to log in - i get "try again later". I can just image that thousands of disgruntled former ebay sellers & buyers may have flooded their capacity. A good sign, for sure. And it's ebay's misfortune.