Fri Mar 12 2010 12:11:36

eBay Lifts Ban on Teachers Manuals?

eBay banned the sale of teachers' manuals on its marketplace in 2006, which was a big blow to parents who home-schooled their children. Amazon.com also bans teachers manuals - according to its policy, "Because solutions manuals and teacher's editions of books are not intended for general use, such listings are prohibited on Amazon.com."

Today Angela Smith of Finders-Keepers Educational Supply wrote to inform us that eBay was now allowing the sale of teacher's manuals, and was informed by her account manager:

"Although it may seem insignificant to some, the ban on teacher's manuals was a huge blow to the homeschooling community, which happens to be one of the fastest growing markets in the publishing industry.  Ebay reversed this policy with absolutely no fanfare-as they are prone to do.  However, teacher's manuals have been removed from their list of prohibited items."

Note that this eBay Guide from 2006 said teacher's editions don't appear on the list of prohibited items, but it referred to the eBay policy page banning them, and that page is no longer accessible.

Stay tuned, I'll update this post as I learn more.

by: My Own Website Not Quite Paying My Bills Yet

Fri Mar 12 12:41:04 2010

Lesson #1:

How a ruin a company.

by: Oregon Homeschooler

Fri Mar 12 14:47:53 2010

This is great news for me personally. I have hundreds of manuals that have been collecting dust on a shelf because I've been too nervous to list them.  I wish eBay had announced this when they changed the policy!

by: RicRoe

Fri Mar 12 15:09:30 2010

I have always said that if the kid sitting next to me in high school had applied himself, I could have been something.....now there will be teachers editions on eBay... too little too late for me I guess.

by: ExSeller

Fri Mar 12 15:16:57 2010

Well, that's just great. Now that all the buyers know they aren't available on eBay and have stopped looking, people cans sell them. Sell them to who? No one is looking for teacher's manuals on eBay because for the last several years ZERO have been available.

by: Cara

Fri Mar 12 15:38:16 2010

Like a previous poster I also had hundreds of teacher's editions setting on shelves because I could no longer sell them on eBay. The only difference is, I gave them to the Goodwill three months ago. Thanks eBay, you really know how to jerk around sellers until they lose money!!

by: Too Late

Fri Mar 12 23:09:48 2010

After we were sanctioned off half.com ebay's ugly sister because of listings of teacher's manuals, editions, etc we found a much better home at Alibris.com. NO more hassle.

by: eBay Luvah

Sat Mar 13 11:15:28 2010

by: Cara

Sat Mar 13 12:51:49 2010

ebay luvah, you said:

Here's just a thought...why can't ebay COMMUNICATE these changes to sellers who are groping in the dark when it comes to policy? It's not like it takes much of an effort to post a policy changes in the announcements. Instead sellers have to work on blind faith that the items they list won't be pulled, and their accounts won't be suspended. Maybe, if I had had a little NOTICE, I wouldn't have gotten rid of some very saleable teacher's editions, and would have held on to them until ebay figured out their policy.

Just a thought.

eBay Lifts Ban on Teachers Manuals?   eBay Lifts Ban on Teachers Manuals?

by: Fruity This user has validated their user name.

Sat Mar 13 13:18:31 2010

Luvah, that's very republican of you

by: Joyful

Sat Mar 13 16:07:17 2010

"Too Late" is right. I had a pile of instructors' editions for college courses. There aren't any answers in the back; these are just the freebies publishers sent to faculty to induce them to make all their students buy the book. They're usually stamped or printed on the front with some variation of "instructor's edition." My friend the professor gets unwanted piles of these each semester, and she gives them to me instead of taking them to the landfill.
eBay and Amazon think selling these is some sort of heinous crime, but I've done fine on Alibris with them. I just sold an old one last week.

eBay Lifts Ban on Teachers Manuals?   eBay Lifts Ban on Teachers Manuals?

by: Et tu, Brute! This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 14 03:07:22 2010

An enormous amount of people Google their searches now.  I shop EVERYWHERE else, where I find what I want!

Yesterday I bought from Bonanzle and I bought from Etsy within 30 minutes.

And all from Google searches.

Please, please realize.  It is not about eBay and Amazon anymore.  It's ''search''.

eBay Lifts Ban on Teachers Manuals?   eBay Lifts Ban on Teachers Manuals?

by: EventHorizon1984 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 14 17:36:46 2010

A quick search provides one reason for eBay's policy change.

Junior Great Books Teachers Edition (First Semester, Se
260563782098
azulio_media (35071)

That listing was put up 8 days(?) ago.

It's the same John Donahoe move toward warehouse sellers; eBay wants large volume sellers.

If you're a small business, take advantage of the window of opportunity opening now.  Before the (recruited) major publishers begin flooding the category.

''I don't get it, eBay does something GOOD and you still want to complain about it? I'm doing great there, maybe you all aren't suited for selling online? Just a thought.''
eBay Luvah

''If this is true, look how many of you are complaining lol. If they raised fee's you'd complain, if they did nothing you'd complain, if they fixed all the glitches you'd complain that you can't complain about the glitches. In many of your cases your entire business model stands no chance to work regardless of the fee's or anything ebay does or doesn't do. Ebay makes it so easy for anyone to have a online business ( or an attempt at it ) that many of you are clueless you are cutting your own throats with your strategies.''
tanjastore / naru, Wisconsin

by: Lisa

Tue Mar 16 02:19:12 2010

eBay actually started taking down listings of teacher's editions long before they finally listed them as prohibited in their policy pages.  I wrote to inform AB about the closed listings in Feb. 2006 and started a Yahoo group for people who were looking for places to buy/sell TEs.

I was making a good side income on eBay selling mostly to homeschoolers who didn't want to buy the newer, politically correct textbooks.  My business went way down with the implementation of this policy.  When all the other changes were made, it was easy for me to make the decision to sell elsewhere.

eBay truly did a disservice to the homeschooling community with their policy banning TEs, but this new change won't be enough to get back my business.  I would never sell on eBay again.

by: M

Tue Mar 16 11:42:53 2010

This ban was actually lifted sometime last year, I think it was. They didn't announce anything. I found out by reading the bookseller's board on Ebay.

by: kitty

Tue Mar 16 20:13:13 2010

I am so happy about the lifting of the teacher manual ban.  Our area in New York is about to fire over 200 teachers.  I have a feeling I will be seeing a lot of these at local garage sales.  I need the money.

by: So.

Thu Mar 18 13:32:50 2010

What we've learned:

1. It takes ebay 3 years to listen.

2. It takes ebay 1 year to annonuce something.

by: Jim

Thu Mar 18 21:18:35 2010

This is great news.  Now I can bring them back over from Amazon.  Never can figure out why Amazon has no problem selling things that eBay does not allow.

by: Mitch T

Mon Jun 14 16:44:55 2010

When eBay did this in 2006, the Home School Legal Defense Assn set up an auction site for educational materials.  There are over 17,000 registered users.  It is FREE to list and sell items.  Yes, FREE.  market.hslda.org