Tue Feb 23 2010 13:26:09

eBay to Demote Sellers in Search Results for Poor Grades

eBay sellers will be required to meet stricter performance standards when Seller Release 1 (version 2010) rolls out on April 1st. If sellers don't meet the new standards, eBay will demote their listings in search and may limit their selling activity. In addition to low DSR scores, eBay will be watching Neutral feedback ratings as well.

Some readers aren't sure of the exact sanctions for under-performing sellers. A reader who signed her email, "Anxious Power Seller," wrote:

I am writing to you in hopes of getting some information regarding EBAY's new seller performance requirements. As a power seller with only 1 negative (12 mos) but frequent unexplained low DSR ratings, I am concerned with failing to meet EBAY's new seller requirements. To be specific; I would like to know what exact actions EBAY will take against sellers that fail to meet the new standards?? I do not see this information posted anywhere on EBAY and I have tried to ask EBAY's customer service reps on more than one occasion but the answers given were lacking in specifics.

According to the Seller Performance Standards page, "If you don't meet the minimum performance standards, your search placement will be lowered and there may be limits to your selling activity until your ratings improve. You may also be restricted from selling items on eBay if your performance falls significantly below the minimum requirements."

The following chart compares the current and future standards:

eBay will only count 1s and 2s if they come from two or more buyers within any given evaluation period. If sellers have more than 400 transactions, three or more buyers must leave low detailed seller ratings before they are counted.

In addition to meeting the standards for low DSRs, eBay will also be looking at:
  • Cases for items not received or items not as described
  • Negative Feedback received
  • Neutral Feedback received
Other things sellers should keep in mind: Sellers must meet the new requirements of a seller performance rating "Above Standard" in order to have a Premium or Anchor Stores subscription.

And there are new PowerSeller requirements: The new PowerSeller requirements (originally announced in July 2009) will be in effect for all PowerSellers, not just Top-rated sellers. With the new PowerSeller discount schedule (also announced in July), only eBay Top-rated sellers will receive 20% fee discounts. All other PowerSellers will receive 5% discounts. PowerSellers will see this change reflected on their statements starting May 1, 2010.

While much attention was paid to the new fee structure when eBay announced its March changes, the above changes are also significant. The anonymous nature of the DSR system leaves good sellers vulnerable to unwarranted negative feedback from retaliatory buyers, competitors, and unstable or "recreational" bad buyers.

If you have questions about the seller performance standards and sanctions, please leave them in the comments.

eBay to Demote Sellers in Search Results for Poor Grades   eBay to Demote Sellers in Search Results for Poor Grades

by: Buck Efay This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 23 13:46:28 2010

It would be nice, since we are bound by these unfair rules & must live or die by anonymous ratings, if Ebay would VERIFY THEIR BUYERS finally! I think Ebay is opening up yet another legal liability when it is so easy to tamper & maliciously damage sellers reputations. If they would VERIFY their buyers identity, it would go a long way towards easing that problem & remove some of the rampant FRAUD ebay is allowing to run unchecked there.

by: enough

Tue Feb 23 13:55:33 2010

Look folks its obvious that ebay does not want small sellers on the site anymore so why are we all trying to even make efforts here, either way ebay will succeed in removing all sellers off the site so please lets all come together and get off of that site and on to Bonanzle, and Wigix!! Please all sellers lets move on to bigger and better opportunities.

by: Ahwooga This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 23 13:58:46 2010

This is confusing to me. I just don't understand the benefit they will receive out of this change.

by: Fruity This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 23 14:02:54 2010

by: Marilyn

Tue Feb 23 14:04:25 2010

eBay has lost their mind. While I appreciate them trying to boost good sellers and get rid of bad ones, the metrics set are insane. 2 low marks per 400 .05%. There are very very very few businesses anywhere that can maintain a 99.95% satisfaction rate when dealing in ANY kind of volume, for the reasons you state as much as human errors. While our ebay business currently meets those standards, I hold my breath daily waiting for a shoe to drop. All it takes is one unreasonable customer to sink for you for a YEAR. Who wants their entire business model riding on one random customers shoulders?? It's insane.

It's also why we are phasing off of ebay and on to other venues after 12+ years of ebay selling, even though we are Top Rated Powersellers. The risk factor is too high, the reward too low. You cannot manage a risk you cannot control, such as a random customer. 1-2% of sales I could understand. but a 1/2 a percent? it's insanity.

by: Fruity This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 23 14:08:10 2010

I set up my new website, my own and I already have sales. Does anyone need help, I spent a good amount of time evaluating which product to use, like MONTHs. Anyways, msg me here or find me on twitter. If u need help in just evaluating what to do I'll help where I can. I'll help every person who needs it because you are a human being and you deserve better. The only way this regime will stop is if we let them rot

by: old timer

Tue Feb 23 14:46:49 2010

Holy crud! I have just had it with the eBay reliance on DSRs for rating sellers and determining how eBay treats you based on them. My main complaint is that the DSRs are anonymous. How can you make any sane business decision in response to anonymous reporting. If you can't review the specific circumstances involved, there is absolutely no way you can make a good decision. The low DSR can be the results of all sorts of things, including:

1 - Legitimate complaint from a legitimate buyer

2 - Input error on a buyer's part

3 - Malicious action on the part of a fringe buyer who just likes to screw with sellers

4 - Malicious action on the part of a competitor

And there are others I imagine. Only if you know the details can you tell what the real story is. AND it's not like a seller has any real retribution against a buyer since sellers can only leave positive feedback for any buyer.

Now I happen to have very good DRSs so far, but I can understand that every seller can be unfairly hurt here. And frankly I'm just real tired of living under eBay's crazy rules and constant changes. And we sellers are actually paying eBay for this treatment!

Well, on second thought, there is one business decision that I can make here. That's to get out of eBay. There are other venues that are growing, that are cheaper, more stable and create less drama for good sellers.

I'll maintain a small presence on eBay for gathering new customers to send elsewhere for my products.

And thank fate that eBay does not run the judicial system here in the US. At least in US courts you still have the right to face your accuser.

by: Jimbo This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 23 15:43:26 2010

The truth as hard as it is to say is that there are no other venues for the items I sell. I've tried and checked out many and the traffic just isn't there. Trust me when I say I know what I sell well. I just do not sell at a high enough volume to make my own website work. Nothing makes me feel worse than to keep selling on eBay but the truth is I can't get the prices anywhere else partly because there are no other viable auction sites.

I hate eBay and their total anti seller policies. Not to mention how it makes me feel to support such a corrupt system only because I don't feel I have a choice. Every single policy change makes it more difficult and more expensive to sell.

But I'm small potatoes and eBay treats me like naval lint. I wish the media would really care and take a close look  at the despicable eBay practices.

by: Patricia

Tue Feb 23 15:52:43 2010

Hah!  Its reached a point where it really doesn't matter what Ebay does anymore.  I think that's true for a lot of us small sellers.....get no exposure and no sales on Ebay or get exposure and still no sales on another venue.  I think I'll just take my chances with the other venues!  Ebay can go pound salt!

by: Phil in MN

Tue Feb 23 15:53:32 2010

I just find eBay totally off base on these standards, this is actually downright offensive to me as a seller. These standards are set way too high, I like the old days when you just have to worry about a negative. EBay will be slitting it’s own throat when they put this into effect. ALL sellers will eventually get some low scores, there’s really nothing one can do about it, except to decide not to sell at all. I kind of look forward to it though, as soon as they kick me off ebay for some minor infractions like a low star rating, I will never come back. These guys must be sitting around doing bong hits to come up with a totally off the wall asinine policy like this, stupid MF’rs!

by: gotta wonder

Tue Feb 23 15:54:20 2010

hmmm... I know a seller who averages around 200 negs and 200 nuetrals a month.
I think I'd call that excessive.

by: Sam

Tue Feb 23 16:00:31 2010

''I don't know anyone who plans on sticking around so EFF 'em, the whole place can burn to the ground for all I care!''

I always enjoy your comments, Fruity!

As far as the childish DSR crap, their numbers will drop even further when the new performance standards start.
Ebay will also make less money when sellers aren't able to sell on the site, so I agree with Fruity, ebay can and will burn to the ground!

I enjoy watching how many members are joining Bonanzle each day.
I am actually keeping track on paper.
On 2/19/2010 at 4:50 pm there were 195,750 Bonanzle members.
Right now on 2/23/2010 at approx. 4:00 pm, there are 198,685

I am happy they have that on their site so we can all watch Bonanzle grow, as ebay burns down!

Looking forward to seeing the new Bonanzle member amount come April 1st!

by: Fruity This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 23 16:13:09 2010

ps. Dear Ebay, I still snitched you out to the Feds and I'm still talking about Mao Meg Whitman and her reign. You've been using small business and this company as political leverage for years, I'm a busy bee, now I'm only interested in REWARD MONEY when the IRS comes knocking on your door. Love, Fruity

by: Buck E fay

Tue Feb 23 16:16:25 2010

Well, I cleared my cookies & it wont let me back in!!
I think it's amazing Ebay has set the metric so high, when they got 76% in a Foresee survey 2/09, down from year before:
results for Year 2009 should be available almost anyday, what's your bet? Higher or Lower CSR for Ebay?????

by: Buck E fay

Tue Feb 23 16:19:21 2010

"gotta wonder
Tue Feb 23 15:54:20 2010
hmmm... I know a seller who averages around 200 negs and 200 nuetrals a month.
I think I'd call that excessive.  "

What's even more Amazing, is that company has had ROCK SOLID 4.9 DSRS for months, despite getting 500 negs & neutrals a month! I asked ol' Guff what was his thoughts on a company that BURNED 500 buyers a month, and he said "expressed as a portion of their feedback, the number is low", so there ya go. Ebay cares NOT for your satisfaction, only the money they can make.

by: Chet

Tue Feb 23 16:21:00 2010

Well I guess Toyota won't be selling their cars on eBay...

This user has validated their user name. by: David Steiner

Tue Feb 23 16:25:35 2010

by: Buck E fay
Well, I cleared my cookies & it wont let me back in!!

Are you referring to the blog? Just tried it, and worked for me. You sure the email address and password you're entering are correct?

by: buck e fay

Tue Feb 23 16:29:55 2010

Customer Satisfaction news....
This year, 12 online retailers scored above an 80, the ACSI threshold for excellence, up from just eight last year:

Amazon.com...................87;(up 3%)
TigerDirect.com................80;
and
VictoriasSecret.com............80.

Ebay:
heacsi.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=149&Itemid=157&c=eBay+

79%.
After all that great "customer friendly BS, scrooing every seller to the wall, 1% improvement, but WAY WAY BELOW the requirement to sell on Ebay. They do not even get a 4 out of 5 DSR!
HAHAHAHA!!!! THEY COULD NOT EVEN SELL ON THEIR OWN SYSTEM, that is a SUSPENDABLE score!
These are the idiots that want to tell US how to run OUR businesses, with 100% perfect, 4.9 2 dsr 4.8 2 dst, I blow away ebays CSR!

by: Buck Efay

Tue Feb 23 16:32:07 2010

David, I went to the Login, only asked for username & password, then said my name was no such user:(

by: Buck Efay This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 23 16:33:14 2010

Doh! I was putting in the username, not my email:)

1 2 3 4 5 6  [Next Page]