Sat Feb 6 2010 22:26:27

Survey Result Are In: eBay Sellers Weigh in on New Fees

eBay is changing its fee structure at the end of March and is doing away with Store Inventory format. We asked readers to tell us how the changes would impact their businesses, and over 1,100 eBay sellers took our survey (see overall results).

Here are the major questions we asked sellers. If you didn't take the survey, feel free to share your opinion in the comments.
  • Are you a Top Rated Seller (TRS)?
  • Do you currently have an eBay Store?
  • What is the value of all items you sold on eBay over the last 12 months (in dollars):
  • How many items do you typically have listed on eBay in the STORE FORMAT?
  • How many items do you list per week on eBay on average in the AUCTION FORMAT?
  • Which one category best describes the type of item that you most frequently list to sell online?
  • eBay announced on January 26 that it would change its fee structure at the end of March 2010. Please indicate what impact the changes will have on your business.
  • As part of its changes to its fee structure, eBay will change fees for auction listings; please indicate the effect on your business.
  • eBay will offer sellers the opportunity to list up to 100 auctions a month for free for auctions with a starting price under $1 (Final Value Fees will apply). How will this impact you?
  • eBay is changing the fee structure for Store subscribers, please indicate the effect these changes will have on your business.
  • eBay is doing away with the Store Inventory Format - all fixed-price listings will appear in the core eBay.com search results. Please indicate what kind of impact that will have on your business, regardless of whether you have an eBay Store or not.
  • Please indicate the effect you think the elimination of the Stores Inventory format will have on the sell-through rate of your listings, regardless of whether you have an eBay Store or not.
  • Do you plan to make any changes to your business due to fee and/or policy changes announced by eBay on January 26, 2010?
The results are published in the February 7th issue of the AuctionBytes Update newsletter (found here), and in the February 8th issue of Newsflash, we'll break down the results by category, annual gross sales, and seller status (Top Rated Seller versus non-TRS). We'd also like to get a little "interactive" with the results. If you have some thoughts about how you'd like to see the results filtered - let us know. If it's possible to break the data down in that manner, we'll post the results right here.

Survey Result Are In: eBay Sellers Weigh in on New Fees   Survey Result Are In: eBay Sellers Weigh in on New Fees

by: Rustic Treasures

Sat Feb 6 22:53:30 2010

So let me get this straight - eBay spins this as a fee decrease, and yet over 75% of the sellers taking this survey will see their fees go up? How can the media look themselves in the mirror. Oh and btw, I'm one of the 30.5% that will be closing their eBay stores.

by: Pat

Sat Feb 6 22:58:56 2010

Great information! Thanks for doing this. Here's something I'd like to know from the data. Who are the sellers that these fee changes are HELPING? Can you glean that from the survey responses?

by: fractal

Sat Feb 6 23:38:25 2010

GREAT report!  One add on for the sellers who are loving getting their store merchandise into core - buyers are going to be overwhelmed with 10,000+ choices.  I both buy and sell and I am dreading it from my buying standpoint.  Add all store stock into core, plus the hundred free 99 cent 'special' items gleaned at the finest yard sales and search will be a total debacle.  The last search crash was just a dress rehearsal!

by: dn

Sun Feb 7 00:26:55 2010

You are on the right track covering the stores and the impact.  That alone has caused me to think about leaving Ebay.  But an as serious move is also coming.  The enforcement of DSR percentages.  This will allow ebay to suspend you easier based on arbitrary feedback left for you with no chance to appeal it. With no power to leave truthful feedback to buyers we are ALWAYS at risk to being victims of flaky negatives.  When you do this for a living, a 30 day suspension can really hurt.  Ebay has created monsters out of buyers making them want Fedex service for the price of Media Mail.  I am seriously thinking of leaving after 14 years on the treadmill.  The stores were just starting to kick in allowing us to once again sell some of the lower priced items that we could not afford to list otherwise. (Often these items pay the rent!)  Ebay always takes away the punch bowl just when the party gets lively.

by: ebay Nonsense

Sun Feb 7 00:28:58 2010

Those of you who think everything in core is going to make your sales skyrocket are forgetting about ebay's little known secret.
Rolling blackouts. Those weeks were you barely had an viewers and if you managed to sell anything it was always to one area.

JD stated in an article a few years ago that buyers were overwhelmed when their search returned thousands of items and ebay had to fix that. With stores in core they'll probably be using rolling blackouts even more now.

Your items will show up in core, but only to some members. They've been doing this for years people, showing some things to some people but probably never all items to all the people.

Pay attention to regional sales. Those times where you only shipped to one area and wrote it off as coincidence, if you noticed that is.

Get together with some friends, family or sellers in different areas of the country. Have them search for some of your items.  Do this on a weekly basis for 4-5 weeks.  You'll see the pattern emerge about once a month or so. Some will see your items in search, some won't.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sun Feb 7 01:11:03 2010

@ Rustic Treasures,

Please don't close your store, eBay will have to "decrease" the fees once again to conpensate therefor.

by: Excalibur Coin Boxes

Sun Feb 7 04:38:04 2010

I will be leaving eBay as of 3/30/10. I have been a Powerseller for over 5 years and am now a Top rated seller, and closed my eBay store last Fall. EBay is just too intrusive,makes more profit than I do on every item, and with the new fees will make me leave. DSR's are a joke-a tool for eBay of no use to sellers,feedback is worthless,and the customer service staff knows nothing-and 1/2 don't even speak English you can understand. I have had my own Website now for over 1 year thank God, so I can now leave this debacle that eBay has become. Good luck to the rest of you saps who stay to work for eBay!

by: fish noir foul

Sun Feb 7 07:27:08 2010

You're not gonna believe this but I am seriously thinking of leaving ebay for good. Seriously. I'm not kidding. I'm serious. Really.

by: too fat to fish

Sun Feb 7 08:53:15 2010

Sad. This is just what evil eBay wanted to hear. Smaller sellers, sellers with quality collectibles and items are leaving. Ebay DOES NOT WANT YOU. They pander to the China junk dealers. Time for Bonanzle and iOffer TO ADVERITIZE.

by: San Jose or Bust

Sun Feb 7 09:19:20 2010

I think what this survey shows is that eBay is going to get pretty much the response they want from these fee changes.

From Ina's second chart:

I will list more items on eBay
I have an Anchor eBay Store - 40.0%
I have a Premium eBay Store - 36.8%
I have a Basic eBay Store - 11.3%
I do not currently have an eBay Store - 6.5%

So the serious sellers will list more, choking out the smaller sellers. The sellers in the middle will have to decide whether or not they want to step it up or drop out, and the small sellers will be squeezed out.

Another interesting thing is that 28.7% who said they had a basic store, would likely upgrade. Gotta hand it to eBay - they've peeled off the layers they don't want, and can still spin it as a fee decrease. I bow to the masters...

by: Had Enough

Sun Feb 7 09:19:53 2010

The way I see it, ebay is going from 3.75 - 6% fv fees to a flat 9% for items selling for more than $50.00 - a majority of my business. THIS IS A DECREASE?

by: AnotherVeteranPS leaving

Sun Feb 7 09:54:14 2010

We are yet another long time power seller and TRS that will be closing up shop at Ebay soon. Over the next month, we will attempt to liquidate as much of our inventory as we can, and anticipate going NARU by mid Feb. We already closed one ebay store last fall and NARUed that account after having been gold power sellers from 2004 to 2008, with over 18,000 sales and almost 750 purchases on that account. On our active account that we plan to NARU by mid March, we have close to 9,000 sales and about 320 purchases.

Between the constant rolling blackouts of our listings that is killing our sales,  while watching a few handpicked sellers in the cats we list being HEAVILY favored each and every day (interestingly,almost all international sellers with mediocre sell thru rates and buyer satisfaction ratings), the huge rise in Chinese crooks dominating search standings across the entire site, Ebay's bogus "buyer protection" carp that has fueled a new breed of sinful buyers, and Ebay's constant lies and unscrupulous business practices that undermine our ability to do business profitably, we've simply lost any and all trust and respect for Ebay Corp.

We may be totally wrong, but, it certainly appears on the surface that Ebay & PayPal have devised a way through their software to make it APPEAR that many, if not all sales from international sellers on .com site are sales occurring outside the U.S. enabling the two companies to deter federal taxes on all that revenue piling up in their overseas accounts. And, that is the REAL reason so many non U.S. sellers are beginning to heavily dominate search standings in many cats on .com while more and more U.S. sellers are dealing with rolling blackout issues, ultra low sales volumes and page views, concentrated regional sales, and very strange sales patterns that NEVER existed before DonAhoe took over.

I sincerely hope that the day comes when government officials step in an once and for all hold Ebay execs accountable for their crimes and corruption.

by: Smitty

Sun Feb 7 10:39:15 2010

@Pat

''Who are the sellers that these fee changes are HELPING? Can you glean that from the survey responses?''

I don't think Liveworld employees identify themselves, when taking surveys like this one.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Sun Feb 7 10:52:18 2010

Thanks for all the retweets!

by: meme TOO!

Sun Feb 7 10:52:25 2010

@ anotherveteranPowerSeller "We have no interest in continuing to do business with such an unethical, underhanded organization that's riddled with corruption from the top down."  Me too!

I am a long time PS who is moving on after 11 years.  I am tired of being contaminated by eBay.  I am taking my business, followers and responsibility for it to higher grounds.

NO ONE should have to put up with how eBay has treated its sellers.  I now know the difference of mistreatment and co-operative support.  I will focus my time, energy and support on my Bonanzle site and close my store before the end of March.  I look forward...

by: buck efay

Sun Feb 7 11:18:53 2010

The only way I can see to profitably list on Ebay is to get the $50 store and list well north of 250 items a month. Unfortunately, I don't think I would sell enough since my STR under JD has dropped from 40-50% to 10%. I decided that I either need to list hundreds & hundreds of items to make up the $1000 in sales Ebay currently contributes with costs of 20+%, over $200 a month in fees(down from $8000 sales/month Pre JD)or move on. I really see no reason to contribute to this fool's bottom line, nor do I wish to list substantially more on a declining marketplace where I can possibly get shafted in search by 1 jerk's DSR when I can list FREE on numerous other venues that are now PAYING MY BILLS! So given that choice, Buck Efay! I'll just finish moving out the last goods, then start listing under $1 items on Ebay only. Great work, JD, attaboy, another 15,000 F/b 4.9-5.0% DSR seller leaving. You can just go find another Chinese bootlegger + crap merchant to replace me too.

by: Barbara Parker

Sun Feb 7 11:20:20 2010

The only advantage that these changes will make is to place listings in the core search.  I ask what happens when everyone and everylisting is in the core search?  Whose listings will come up first in best match?  My guess is only the anchor stores.  Small and Medium sized sellers will be lost on pages 10,000.  One more deception is a sea of deception.  This is all about giving the big guys yet another advantage.  I just hope buyers realize that the competitive marketplace is moving.

by: buck efay

Sun Feb 7 11:24:04 2010

Barbara, they are aware & my best sales are always to ex ebayers on my new venues:)At least this Jackass Donnyho ruined the site so bad evben the buyers are wondering why & the smart ones are already looking elsewhere:)

by: eBay seller

Sun Feb 7 11:33:43 2010

Good survey.

In the end it reinforces my decision to spend more effort on my off-eBay sites rather than on eBay in 2010 .

I'll give eBay's new stores in core exposure starting in April a couple of months to see if there really is any increased exposure for my items that result in greater sales.  At the end of 60 days, I'll review the situation.  If the sales don't more than make up for the INCREASE in my listing costs (eBay lowers costs, yeah, right!), I'll switch eBay to an advertising-only venue for finding new customers to send to my off-eBay sites.

What worries me most about the new eBay in April is whether or not the free 100 listings a month will flood the categories and actually decrease the exposure of my items.  If that happens, then there is no way that I can see the INCREASE in my listing costs being helpful to my sales/profit line.

Of course, I'm more than a bit miffed that eBay expects us sellers to pay for the INCREASE listing costs (about $50 per month in my case, primarily to shift to a Premium Store) BEFORE we see any of the touted results of increased sales.

Time will tell and eBay must realize that there are a lot of sellers like myself who are willing to commit to the INCREASED fees for only a short couple of months before taking radical steps to cut the costs on eBay (by leaving eBay altogether, greatly reducing the number of items listed, closing the store and using FP or auctions only for a much smaller inventory).

Again, eBay's constant changes are taking my time away from running my business.

by: Lynn

Sun Feb 7 11:52:52 2010

I generally have 500-800 fixed-priced listings per month.

To list 500 at .35 equals $175 plus $15.95 for a basic store, comes to $190.95. With the new rate of .05, if I upgrade my store to $49.95, my new total for listings a month would be $74.95...a savings of almost $100. To maintain a basic store and not upgrade, it would cost me $115.95. Still a savings, but not the best method for me.

For 800 listings, I would currently pay $295.95. Under the new rates, a basic store would cost $175.95 and upgrading would be $89.95, a savings of over $200 per month.

Unless I've figured this wrong, I will definitely be saving on my base month cost. Final value fees will not change.

If the listings get flooded causing my sales to decrease, I will re-evaluate. Luckily, this is not my only method of income.

1 2 3 4 5 6  [Next Page]