Wed Dec 1 2010 23:05:54

Sellers, Are You Feeling the Love from Cyber Monday?

Hopefully you saw a boost in sales over the past week as holiday shopping kicked into high hear. Cyber Monday broke a record by surpassing $1 billion in online sales, up 16% from last year - and AuctionBytes learned marketplaces are reporting even better sales growth than general ecommerce for Cyber Monday.

We break it all down in Thursday's newsletter - here's the chart we compiled, along with some additional information about the smaller marketplaces we checked in with.

eCrater reported Cyber Monday growth of 33%, and ArtFire.com, 43%. Artfire COO Tony Ford said Artisan sales were up 162% year-over-year for Thanksgiving weekend (Thursday-Sunday), and attributed some of that growth to its Thanksgiving Day advertising push - nearly 2 million ad impressions on Thanksgiving Day. "Our holiday sales are very strong so far, showing up 100% + each week ( on average) from 2009. We are on track to achieve total annual sales growth of 166% for all of 2010 over 2009."

eCrater's Dimitar Slavov said Cyber Monday was its highest holiday sales day, and said Thanksgiving sales were up 24% year-over-year, and Black Friday sales had increased 36% from last year.

Meanwhile, Atomic Mall reported sales growth of 191%. Atomic Mall called the entire month of November a "breakout month" with sales growth of 194% over last year.

Mark Wilkinson of eBid.net said Cyber Monday sales were up 62.9% in the UK and were up 145.8% in the U.S.

Etsy did not break out its Cyber Monday sales. Spokesperson Adam Brown said Etsy had a record-setting weekend, and sales have remained very strong for the days preceding it and since.

Alex Berg from Bonanza did not provide sales data, but said Cyber Monday traffic was up 28% over the preceding Monday. "Conversion tells an even better story," he said. "Cyber Monday conversion numbers increased 91% when compared to the first Monday of November. The holiday shoppers are biting."

eBay and Amazon don't release sales, but Mercent and ChannelAdvisor data indicate their relative performance. While its overall marketplace sales may be lower than its brethren, eBay said sales completed using mobile apps increased 146% on Cyber Monday compared to last year. Globally, eBay is on track to triple sales made through mobile devices to over $1.5 billion this year.

How are marketplace sellers really faring, and what items are doing well? None of the marketplaces shared data on which products or categories were doing better than others. Etsy said there were no particular surprises or standouts in terms of what's popular, saying it was "a healthy mix."

Edited 12/2/10 to add eBid.net numbers.

Sellers, Are You Feeling the Love from Cyber Monday?   Sellers, Are You Feeling the Love from Cyber Monday?

by: Rupert Pupkin

Wed Dec 1 23:18:10 2010

eBay's increase firmly at the bottom of the ladder.

And considering the source reporting the anemic increase, that number probably has more gas in it than the Hindenburg.

by: Digby

Wed Dec 1 23:49:16 2010

Ebay are so proud of their sales that they can only disclose the fact that their sales on mobiles increased.
Does that mean that their overall sales decreased ?

by: gonefromebay

Thu Dec 2 00:09:38 2010

Looks like ebay is nearly done.  Put a fork in 'em.  Even the smaller marketplaces are beating them.  GOOD!

by: Paul

Thu Dec 2 00:40:47 2010

Forecasts of eBay's imminent demise are gleefully spewed by people who boast of having left eBay some time ago.

I haven't left, and my sales are up about 70% over last year, and have gotten better every month since June.

by: Rich

Thu Dec 2 01:24:54 2010

My sales declined since Thanksgiving and I have low prices and TRS account.  Ebay stock down almost $2 since thanksgiving and even today on a monster day with Dow jumping 250; Ebay stock moves up just 12 cents.  Ina Steiner; you should consider delving into what's happening with ebay buyers.  Where are they?  And if Ebay's tripling of fees since 2004 has left small and mid sized sellers with little money to buy with?  And what impact that might or might not be having?

by: bozo rebebe

Thu Dec 2 01:27:49 2010

I have yet to have ONE sale on Artfire, despite their advertising blitz and my Google stats show that people ARE looking (but obviously NOT buying.) My sales on Etsy had come to a screeching halt in mid October, so that means I was forced to list on eBay once more, just to get ANY exposure! And with that, I finally got some sales. I'm a VERY small (15 - 20 items at any one time) seller of handmade, not subcontracted out, niche market items. And NO. I'm not very fond of eBay. And I don't work for them, before you get that thought in your head.

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 2 01:29:52 2010

love?  no i'm glad it's over. all the hoopla over black friday "week" and cyber monday essentially killed sales of anyone that wasn't a big box retailer.  tuesday though, everything has cranked back up on all the sites i sell on.  the difference is startling.

by: Nora Charles

Thu Dec 2 04:42:30 2010

Here (http://tinyurl.com/yacrc7f) is the best breakdown of everything you need to know about Cyber Monday—as a marketing term, not an actual event. The key fact is that since 2005 (the year ''Cyber Monday'' was first widely promulgated), the first Monday after Thanksgiving has never been the biggest online shopping day. Instead, consumers seem to buy more in roughly mid-December. Last year, the Monday after Thanksgiving was only the third-biggest online shopping day.

ACTUAL URL:
0/cyber-monday-is-aa-fake-holiday.html

SHORT
URL:

by: Stefano Neis

Thu Dec 2 05:55:58 2010

Once again Bonanza/Bonanzle does give out any sales data. Just how much poor traffic sales data are they hiding? And how much money is being wasted in that Venue by investors? Not to mention the waste of hard work by sellers seeking to find a valid home off of Ebay.

Ebay's reported numbers are a laugh. They really didn't have any mobile sales last year and are now trying to heavily promote mobile sales this year...so of course there numbers are...up  .. on mobile...But what about their collectibles area?

Last year I sold on Delcampe, Playle & Ecrater. During the course of this year I dropped Playle & Ecrater due to poor sales. I then started selling on Bidstart.com

Cyber-monday for me this year was a $2,000+ sales event with over 500 sales total.

My Delcampe Cyber Monday sales increased from 25 items last year to 117 items this year.

My Bidstart sales went out the gate at 488 items sold..a real surprise to me.

More surprising to me is that I am getting the feeling that buyers are back shopping.

So far this year my total online sales are 33% ahead of total sales from last year.

I see more & more of my old Ebay customers shopping outside of Ebay for items they want.

For me it is simple really. Customers will buy & buy from sellers who have stuff they want. The trick is to tell your buyers where you are selling at now.

I also do not think that matters where you are selling what online as long as ''you'' are taking responsibility for driving customers to your own listings and ''you'' are not giving that responsibility to the site you are listing on.

If Bonanzle where designed better I would move my 149,000 online items there and market as I am doing now..and I would sell there as well.

The point I am trying to make for those dealers who are struggling to find that safe ''non-Ebay'' haven to sell on...taking control of your own marketing will the basis to your success on selling on the Internet as a whole.

Then every online selling site..including Bonanza , Ecarter & even Ebay [at least for the 100 free listings per month] are valid choices for you to sell on.

Then you can let the market decide where your particular type of items sell best.

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Thu Dec 2 09:35:28 2010

Well said - as always.

My main gig is on eBay & while I don't like jumping through the hoops & plowing through the sand traps [poor metaphors, but I'll try to get better] the dunces of upper management place in front of me, I'm at least selling there whilst the other venues are at best 10% of my sales.

Hey, 10% is 10%.

Then again, I don't compete with the big box stores or the peril-from-the-east, so I'm relatively satisfied on eBay.

I would hop in a second if another site would capture even 20% of the collectibles business that eBay maintains.

by: Rick1313

Thu Dec 2 09:45:33 2010

Being a Canadian-based seller, all I can say is that, since November 18th, my only sales have been to Canadian-based buyers.

It has now been two weeks since a USA-based buyer made a purchase from my eBay store or even asked a question.

Never had it so dry to the USA, even when only a few hundred items were actively running (over 1,500 currently running).

I sell more to the USA than all other countries combined.

That ratio is quickly going out the window with what's happened in the past couple of months.

And it is not a case that I am receiving more non-USA sales to compensate for the big drop in USA-based sales.

All of my selling activity is on the eBay.com (USA-based) selling sight.

by: Sayonara eBay

Thu Dec 2 10:46:02 2010

@Rick 1313 --

Seems pretty clear that your items are at the bottom of the barrel on ebay.com and not pulled up for viewing unless called for by number or exact name.

Do you  have any service that tracks your unique visitors by city so that you can tell where you're  being seen?  That would be helpful to know.

I have seen your posting name alot in the past month.  Could eBay US have put you in that bottom tier that doesn't get circulated through the higher levels of search where your items are seen?

Do you have another ID that you could try some items on to see if you are getting hits?

I know that you are very knowledgeable, but for an explanation of the tier concept, go to www.5days.us and key on 'tears for tiers'.

by: PrairiePrimitives

Thu Dec 2 11:34:12 2010

I have shops on Etsy, ArtFire, and Picturetrail. After a lengthy dry spell, I made several sales on Etsy EARLY last week, but none since Wednesday. Despite 20% off everything in my primitive folk art shop on Etsy and 30% off everything in my ''destash'' (unloved craft supplies) shop on Etsy, I had no holiday weekend sales on any of these three sites. Then yesterday, I sold an item on Etsy. Go figure!

Either the economy is getting better (despite the still-record number of people out of work ... including myself!) OR people are just tired of skimping and doing without and are starting to shop again, and in a pretty big way. I know I am ... in the last few months, I've bought a new printer, GPS and TV!

estoo.etsy.com

by: Sissy

Thu Dec 2 12:03:56 2010

Cyber Monday was a joke for me at my Ebay store:  2 sales.  A total of 4 sales between Black Friday and Sunday.  Biz, has however, picked up on Tuesday and Wednesday but still nowhere near what it was last year.

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 2 12:52:10 2010

It gets worse by the day - my Ebay counters haven't moved in 24 hours.  Cyber monday I think I had 3 or 4 hits on all combined.  Its a good thing I didn't pay a listing fee or I'd be hopping mad.  If Ebay is making any money its not off the sellers!

by: SV

Thu Dec 2 13:17:36 2010

"eCrater reported Cyber Monday growth of 33%"

0+33%(0)=0

Be prepared to sell wither sewing patters or big/tall men's clothes.

by: RicRoe

Thu Dec 2 13:38:46 2010

eBay is bragging about their 146% increase in mobile sales.

Experienced eBay sellers know this does not bode well for the site in general as it appears likely that increase will not replace the lost volume in the marketplace as a whole.

Come January when 4Q numbers are reported eBay will once again report flat to single digit sales increases. Amazon and other sites will likely report double digit sales increases that will once again embarrass eBay's paltry results.

Mr Donahoe has rebuilt eBay around Big Box retailers yet those efforts are not replacing the volume eBay has lost during the failed transition period.

Mr Donahoe and the rest of his vision-less management team still do not realize that buyers are not interested in another marketplace for big box retailers and imports shipped from China, or that he has entered that market long after it has been saturated.

eBay's strength was always unique items not found on other marketplaces, and management has discarded that business to become a poor Amazon - WalMart clone.

The handwriting is on the wall.....eBay management has grossly miscalculated it's path.

Management continues to ignore facts. Unique OOAK items were what distinguished eBay from other marketplaces, attracted buyers of all merchandise, and drove sales of other goods. Buyers would find unique OOAK items, and make other purchases driven by the OOAK attraction.

The virtual elimination of OOAK items has resulted in less traffic and lower sales now that eBay is essentially just another retailer.

Without the traffic generated by the attraction of OOAK listings, eBay continues to under perform. Management continues to ignore that reality as they press ahead with their failed big box/China strategy.

eBay management listened to their Wall Street masters and now find themselves unable to dig out of the hole they so willingly jumped into, and have no strategy as to how to recover.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Dec 2 14:26:58 2010

Ebafia's sudden and previously unannounced shift away from FP listings back to auction listings suggest Lorrie The No Norrington might have been responsible for the initial change in direction two years ago from auction to FP.

It might have worked had they not made such asinine changes to feedback, not added the DSR system, and enabled criminal buyers to defraud sellers.

Worse is on the way. They are once again showing random buyers the long 'loyalty' questionnaire which could well replace DSRs or be superimposed on the current sorry system.

DonoHOMcScrooge's strategy is to make Christmas sales as good as possible for the Diamonds and as bad as possible for the rest of us.

If anemic or non existent holiday sales don't do it, it watch out for the loyalty feedback questionnaire.

by: Moonwishes

Thu Dec 2 16:02:45 2010

Not sure what SV's comment was supposed to convey, but my sales on ecrater are great! Our sales there have surpassed our sales on ebay from 2007 & 2008 (our last two years there). With no fees, we are making more money, and our November sales from this year ended higher than last November's. We understood the principle of bringing our buyers to our store and marketing to our buyers and doing our own promotion for our ecrater store. Listing on ecrater and thinking that is all you have to do will never work, but then anything worth doing is worth doing well. We are proud of our store and the sales we make and they aren't anywhere in the zero range!

by: TheUglySweaterShop.com

Thu Dec 2 17:12:50 2010

Our Cyber Monday sales in our store (front end is Wordpress, ecommerce is ECrater) were amazing, a huge increase over last year (which was also huge). We are scrambling to keep up with demand!

Anyone who thinks only "big box" retailers had a good day on Monday is sadly mistaken. If you have what people are looking for and you engage your customers and let them know where to find you, it pays off.

I have some free Google advertising coupons and I'm afraid to use them as I can barely keep this store stocked as it is. 60,000 page views in the last month, compared to the few items we listed on eBay which got a total of 45.  Tells me that we made the right choice to focus our sales strategy off eBay rather than on.

1 2 3  [Next Page]